2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Poor Quality
By Kevin on 07/18/10 20:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my Toyota Tacoma in November 2007 because of its quality and dependability. In almost 3 years my rear bumper is rusting, there is rust on the roof of the cab, the plastic in the wheel well is falling out. I could go on with problems.

Everything I needed
By rayjay3434 on 07/15/10 19:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in march 08. Got the base model. Its the forth toyota I've driven but, the first truck. Its done everything I've needed it for. It's hauled 2000 lbs on trailer, gone through snow, handles mountain roads great, and gets 20-22 mpg on my 70 mile commute to work.

Functional and reliable
By dinola on 04/07/10 15:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many toyotas over the years and the prerunner has continued to be a reliable vehicle. It gets good gas milage for a toyota tacoma and is a safe truck to drive. I expect to have it for many years.

2008 tacoma
By Pat on 04/06/10 18:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Truck, smooth ride (non trd) great fuel econ for a truck. Very poor quality stereo in non trd version. Composite bed is great.

Great in the Snow
By Kevin on 03/25/10 14:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We just ended a record-breaking winter in Washington with about 70 inches for the season (normal is about 8 inches). The Tacoma was unbelievable--even in 15-20 inches on unplowed streets it never quit. We took it out about eight times the first day just for fun while the neighbors were trapped. The truck has also been great on trips and has much more power than the 1998 Taco it replaced. Toyota bought back the old truck because of frame rust and made it easy to buy the new one.

Typically reliable quality Toyota
By Steve on 03/20/10 20:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Nice truck. Reliable, quiet. 4 cyl has enough power 95% of the time. I don't tow loads. Manual transmission helps with both power and gas mileage. Access doors are just right. Don't need the silly looking full rear doors.

Great Truck, But...
By Steve from Wisconsin on 01/23/10 12:18 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the 2-wheel drive PreRunner with the TRD offroad package and locking rear differential, 4-wheel ABS with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist. All in all, I rate this truck the best-engineered vehicle I have ever owned--a wonderful piece of work. It is sheer pleasure to see the intelligence used in its planning and execution. But I have traded it in after two years of ownership (for another Toyota) because it is dangerous on slippery roads. I have had multiple spinouts on snow, even when proceeding slowly and carefully. (The only other minus is the mileage, but I was fairly warned, so can't complain.) This 2WD isn't for snow country.

Good not Great
By Vantrader on 12/29/09 07:19 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a good truck, but not great like I'd thought it would be. Anti- lock brake system makes a "doosh!" sound when the vehicle is initially started and begins to move. Brought it to the dealership and was told it was the brake system doing a "self test", hmmmm. Annoying more than anything else as it was a 30k vehicle. Find myself keeping the tranny in D4 around town as it is quick to upshift into the highway gear but slow to downshift. Should have gotten the limited slip option as it slips pretty easy in loose gravel or greasy hard-top after a rain. Have not towed with it yet but have used the bed and it performed well.

56K miles down, 944K to go!
By Tango6 on 12/24/09 10:32 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Yes I do expect a million miles out of this truck. I bought it just before I retired from the Army. I used it in the field transporting troops and gear, daily driving around town, and hauling a lot of gear across the country. I change my own oil every 5K miles(Toyota filter & Mobil 1). I've added a K&N air filter and a tri-fold toneau cover. Took a trip up to New Mexico and checked the mileage. I got 24.8 mpg. This included highway & city driving as well as a lot of hills. The truck is very comfortable for cross country trips. In addition to changing my own oil, I change my own spark plugs. Maintenance on this truck is easy due in part to accessibility. It also has tons of great storage!

Love it
By jeff on 11/22/09 13:45 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Love the truck for the price. Got the base model with automatic. No complaints. Would have been nice if Toyota would have added wiper delay as part of the BASIC package like almost everyone else. That part is annoying. Have bench seats. Would have liked bucket but like I said I got the base model. It was priced lower than any other truck in its size. And hey it's a Toyota. It will run forever. Nuff said

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.