Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

My 1st Used Toyota Tacoma
By Winston

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my 2011 Silverado v8 with 31k miles on it and brought this 2008 used Tacoma (4 cylinder 2.7). I drove it off the lot with 42k miles. I love this little basic truck, it's comfortable for my 6'1 350lb frame. I brought it to drive back and forth to work(40 miles round trip) and fool around on the weekends. I barely use my other truck at home. In sure I'll get 200k miles out of this truck. It's fun and basic and easy on your wallet at the gas station. I get about 23 mpg on the highway which is better then my Silverado. Perfect truck!

Love it!!!!
By fatvette

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This has been an awesome truck for what I use it for.
I bought it new in 2008 and it currently has 31000 mile on it.
Although the miles are relativity low I have not had any failures of any type.
The truck has been flawless.
The truck is very comfortable considering the bench seat but I did add an aftermarket center console/armrest.
Having a place to rest your arm made a big improvement over holding it in your lap or resting on the seat.
Engine power in more then adequate.
Brakes are a little spongy and road noise on this base model is noticeable.

This is the base model so features are somewhat limited. I added as options an automatic transmission and air conditioning.

Intermittent windshield wipers and a standard center console/armrest.

Love it
By jeff

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Love the truck for the price. Got the base model with automatic. No complaints. Would have been nice if Toyota would have added wiper delay as part of the BASIC package like almost everyone else. That part is annoying. Have bench seats. Would have liked bucket but like I said I got the base model. It was priced lower than any other truck in its size. And hey it's a Toyota. It will run forever. Nuff said

new body design was a major plus

Put more in basic package like tilt and delay wipers.

Mileage report
By Lowsidr

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15K on it. I traded in an 89 4runner w/200K 13 mpg. The primary reason for buying a small truck was the fuel economy. Fuel prices seem to be on the rise once again, who knows what will happen in the years to come. I live in S.W. FL. and commute 20 miles each way a day. Mostly at 45 to 60 mph, mixed city driving mostly. My first tank returned 25.8 MPG! I "babied" the truck trying to keep the RPM under 2K. I did spin it up when needed. You can get great fuel economy out of this truck and still be courteous to others.

The simplicity. An automatic to appease my wife, A/C because I live in S.W. FL. and a bedliner. It's all I wanted, I'll run this into the ground. The less electronic stuff to go wrong later the better. I need to add that I am 6"4 at 265lbs and I fit beautifully.... comfortable interior.

Price... way high for what you get. Lets hope it lives up to it's perceived reliability.

Update
By Western Plainsman

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 14,000 miles, the mileage @ 70 MPH is now up to 24 MPG. That's satisfactory for a 4x4. Pickup is smooth and the bench seat okay on long trips. Don't care for the Dunlap tires; they're smooth, but sure don't have the quality of Michelins. I added a factory cruise control and 2 factory 'D' ring tie-downs to the front of the bed. This little rascal ought to come stock (or at least available) with intermittent wipers & cruise. It rides & handles just fine. For a basic 4x4 under 20 Grand pickup, I don't see how you can beat it. Tight, no rattles, easy to do maintenance, pretty dog-gone good ride. I'm a bear to satisfy...and I'd buy this one again in a second!

Ride & handling both very good; bench seat is okay, gas mileage okay; build quality great; good both as highway and off-road rig and maintenance is a snap!

Need options list expanded to include intermittent wipers, automatic transmission & cruise control. The quality of the OE tires does not match the overall quality of the pickup.