Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

56K miles down, 944K to go!
By Tango6

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Yes I do expect a million miles out of this truck. I bought it just before I retired from the Army. I used it in the field transporting troops and gear, daily driving around town, and hauling a lot of gear across the country. I change my own oil every 5K miles(Toyota filter & Mobil 1). I've added a K&N air filter and a tri-fold toneau cover. Took a trip up to New Mexico and checked the mileage. I got 24.8 mpg. This included highway & city driving as well as a lot of hills. The truck is very comfortable for cross country trips. In addition to changing my own oil, I change my own spark plugs. Maintenance on this truck is easy due in part to accessibility. It also has tons of great storage!

Favorite Features

Great tie down system in the bed. Great storage area under rear seat. Huge console storage and door storage lets me keep plenty of stuff at the ready. Has great 360 degree visibility for driving.

Suggested Improvements

Make the tailgate lock standard. I used an aftermarket after no dealer had a truck with one. Cup holder between gearshift and console needs to be bigger. Maybe offer a power sliding back glass. Not much room for improvement on such a great truck.

Great truck
By Ricky

I have had this truck for two years now. Great truck. Very comfortable to drive. Good power when pulling boat. Had to have windshield trim replaced. About 20mpg. Very happy with this truck.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to drive and plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system not the greatest.

Tundra's Little Brother
By myname150

This really is a great truck, I have used it for hunting & fishing and some off-roading. I have the 4.0L V6 PreRunner & which ever one is the 4-door. I absolutely love it. Used to own a Dodge ram 1500, and I'm glad I got a Tacoma, though I wish I had gotten a Tundra. Pros: Good & Powerful 4.0L V6, Somewhat good fuel economy (depends on how you drive, as with every other vehicle), Great off-roader even though it's 4x2 (just no mudding or something of that sort), I got 0-60MPH in about 6.5-7 Seconds. Cons: Side Curtain air bag became standard on 2009 model, iPod connection became standard on 09 model (big deal for me), Somewhat jumpy if you don't have any load.

Favorite Features

-The Biggg 4.0L V6, lots of power! -In my opinion, this truck is overpowered -Stock radio and speakers sound nice, compared to the ones in my old RAM.

Suggested Improvements

-Should have made the Side airbags standard on the 2008 model -Same goes for the ipod connection, I'd like it more if it came standard, living in a city (Houston) where the FM frequencies are clogged, makes using an FM transmitter useless and (or) unusable.

Dissapointed Owner
By 08Tacoma(ex owner)

I bought this truck Feb 28,2008. I traded out of it with 17,000 mi Jan 1 2009. The front passenger floor board area was "creaking" whenever I drive over an uneven surface. They re-welded a joint that somehow came apart with only 13,000mi. My roof leaked because of a defect on the factory- installed roof rack (took them 3 times to fix). They replaced the outside seal around the windshield because it was making a "whistling noise" at 75 MPH. Truck wouldn't start sometimes and they couldn't figure out why. I just gave up on it and let somebody else worry about what else could go wrong with it. GOOD BYE TOYOTA FOREVER!! It's the end of an era.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior panelings need to be in line with the high price of this vehicle. Don't build it cheap and sell it high. Need proof? Gently push on the lower cowling below the headlamps and you'll hear some squeaking noise. Also try pushing in the corner of the paneling near the headlamp you'll hear it too.

It's HUGE!!
By nancyk

Owned a Tacoma extra cab previously. Bought quad cab site unseen- it's enormous! Toyota blew up Tacoma like a balloon. Love the power and room, but feel like I'm driving a dump truck. 57 y/o lady and it's much more truck than expected. Hear the vibration that others note. Drove the same model at dealer, and vibration was worse than mine. Everything else is usual Toyota quality. 23mpg hwy-comfy/roomy for husband, me & dog on long trips. We have trouble with visibility on right side. Gorgeous and feels very safe- would love to have had this when kids were young. Hope I get used to the size (mammoth- not the Tacoma I'm used to!) and hope to keep for many years as with other models we've owned.

Favorite Features

Best looking "compact" truck. Feels very safe on the road. Well designed roomy interior. Two adults comfortable in back. Decent mileage. Great acceleration. It's a Toyota- know it's going to last and last.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats and cruise control standard. As noted by others, improved braking. (Can Toyota make a quad cab and yet a little smaller?)