2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
56K miles down, 944K to go!
By Tango6 on 12/24/09 10:32 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Yes I do expect a million miles out of this truck. I bought it just before I retired from the Army. I used it in the field transporting troops and gear, daily driving around town, and hauling a lot of gear across the country. I change my own oil every 5K miles(Toyota filter & Mobil 1). I've added a K&N air filter and a tri-fold toneau cover. Took a trip up to New Mexico and checked the mileage. I got 24.8 mpg. This included highway & city driving as well as a lot of hills. The truck is very comfortable for cross country trips. In addition to changing my own oil, I change my own spark plugs. Maintenance on this truck is easy due in part to accessibility. It also has tons of great storage!

Great truck
By Ricky on 09/07/09 07:02 AM (PDT)

I have had this truck for two years now. Great truck. Very comfortable to drive. Good power when pulling boat. Had to have windshield trim replaced. About 20mpg. Very happy with this truck.

Tundra's Little Brother
By myname150 on 05/13/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

This really is a great truck, I have used it for hunting & fishing and some off-roading. I have the 4.0L V6 PreRunner & which ever one is the 4-door. I absolutely love it. Used to own a Dodge ram 1500, and I'm glad I got a Tacoma, though I wish I had gotten a Tundra. Pros: Good & Powerful 4.0L V6, Somewhat good fuel economy (depends on how you drive, as with every other vehicle), Great off-roader even though it's 4x2 (just no mudding or something of that sort), I got 0-60MPH in about 6.5-7 Seconds. Cons: Side Curtain air bag became standard on 2009 model, iPod connection became standard on 09 model (big deal for me), Somewhat jumpy if you don't have any load.

Dissapointed Owner
By 08Tacoma(ex owner) on 03/08/09 23:41 PM (PDT)

I bought this truck Feb 28,2008. I traded out of it with 17,000 mi Jan 1 2009. The front passenger floor board area was "creaking" whenever I drive over an uneven surface. They re-welded a joint that somehow came apart with only 13,000mi. My roof leaked because of a defect on the factory- installed roof rack (took them 3 times to fix). They replaced the outside seal around the windshield because it was making a "whistling noise" at 75 MPH. Truck wouldn't start sometimes and they couldn't figure out why. I just gave up on it and let somebody else worry about what else could go wrong with it. GOOD BYE TOYOTA FOREVER!! It's the end of an era.

It's HUGE!!
By nancyk on 12/28/08 20:56 PM (PST)

Owned a Tacoma extra cab previously. Bought quad cab site unseen- it's enormous! Toyota blew up Tacoma like a balloon. Love the power and room, but feel like I'm driving a dump truck. 57 y/o lady and it's much more truck than expected. Hear the vibration that others note. Drove the same model at dealer, and vibration was worse than mine. Everything else is usual Toyota quality. 23mpg hwy-comfy/roomy for husband, me & dog on long trips. We have trouble with visibility on right side. Gorgeous and feels very safe- would love to have had this when kids were young. Hope I get used to the size (mammoth- not the Tacoma I'm used to!) and hope to keep for many years as with other models we've owned.

Disappointing first 12000 miles
By AL on 12/26/08 15:28 PM (PST)

I bought my truck February of 08. I have a factory-installed roof rack that leaked from the drivers side rail into the cabin with only 8000 mi that took 2 times to fix. My passenger floor board had to be re-welded because of squeaking noise that sounds like metals buckling whenever I drive over uneven pavements. Oh, they have to remove my passenger side front door, my steering wheel and my entire dashboard area just gain access to that one particular spot. My new car smell didn't last but a couple of months which was replaced by the aroma of a freshly welded metals which by the way lingered for more than 3 mos. I've owned 4 different Toyotas in the past. 08 Tacoma is a disappointment.

It's a keeper
By 2mtech on 11/21/08 12:20 PM (PST)

All around solid, dependable truck. Daily driver, 75 highway miles/day. Average 20-22 MPG. Traded an '03 Dodge Dakota for it, and what a difference. Not all good, sadly. As some have said here, the brakes are horrible and Toyota should be ashamed of them. The peppy 4.0L V6 makes the 3.9 in the Dakota seem like a 4 cylinder however, with excellent torque and high end power. Ride is good... it's a truck, after all. Much more comfortable than the Dodge, and I love the dash/control layout. Once I wear out the atrocious stock Dunlop tires and replace with something decent handling will be great.

life long ford owner
By jim on 11/03/08 19:16 PM (PST)

First Toyota truck, have driven Ford f150s all of my 52 years, the brakes on the Tacoma seem to be some what weak, should be disc on the rear and the transmission feels like it downshifts a little hard. Like the storage space and ground clearance. Like interior of the truck. Plan on keeping this truck a long time.

A Little Disappointed
By Ward on 10/08/08 15:44 PM (PDT)

This is my third Toyota. Although I have been sold on the overall quality of Toyota, I am somewhat disappointed with my present truck. I get vibration in the steering wheel between 55 and 70 MPH. After three trips to the dealership and replacement of two tires,I still have the vibration. Now the metal framework in the seatback on the driver's side is coming out through the fabric. The A/C fan motor would only work on high speed (resistor replacement required). The transmission shifts rough, the door speakers buzz when the bass is turned on step 5 (volume is only at medium). My best gas mileage so far is 20.2 MPG (hwy). Did I mention I only have 5200 miles since purchased new.

One truck to beat
By JC on 08/18/08 19:59 PM (PDT)

I looked around and it did not take me long to make a decision in buying this vehicle. I have encountered the same difficulty in clearing my leg from the steering wheel when entering the cabin but in general, Toyota you have come a long way in design and performance in this category. Fuel mileage should improve.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.