2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Mixed bag
By rmw288 on 06/22/14 22:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Tacoma used in 2011 with about 25,000 miles on it. I drove it for 3 years and 55,000 miles. I never had any kind of trouble with the engine or drive train, as far as reliability. It never broke down. My complaint was the truck always revved a little high while at idle. Also, the shifting was always weird. At low speed it would stay in low gear too long and rev high before shifting. Under load, the engine would knock. 3 of the 4 automatic door locks eventually quit working. The compass/thermo stopped working. The A/C fan would intermittantly stop working.

Good truck, disappointed in 6 speed gearbox
By gazzbc on 04/25/14 11:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck second-hand to tow a 23' trailer, weighing 5500 pounds loaded. The truck is underpowered for what I'm asking it to do, but gets the job done. Just don't expect to win any drag races. The Sport package handles extremely well for a 4wd live rear axle truck, and is stable towing even with P rated tires. My only real beef is with the 6 speed maual gearbox. It is the slowest, clumsiest tranny I've ever encountered. Forget quickly flicking through the gears - each shift is a two-stage affair with a forced pause at neutral. And it's not just my truck - I drove several examples, and they are all the same. It's a pity, because it is fun to drive otherwise.

Disappointed
By richiew13 on 03/06/13 15:39 PM (PST)

I bought this truck in May 2011, hoping it would be a reliable and economical vehicle for me to keep for a long time, eventually becoming my #2 vehicle. Ever since I got it, I haven't been happy with the way the engine idles. It sometimes revs fast, and sometimes wavers up and down. I also dislike the way the transmission shifts. It can sometimes be harsh and/or wait too long to shift. As of now, 3 of my automatic door lock mechanisms have quit working. The A/C blower is noisy, and will occasionally stop working. (If you kick it, it will work again.) I hate the way the brakes make a "clunk" sound the first time you hit them after going in reverse. Other than that, I've enjoyed it.

Tacoma has known suspension problems
By jjgarvey on 11/13/11 18:52 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had two Tacoma double cabs - 2004 and 2008. I bought the second because I was happy with the first. Unfortunately, the quality of the 08 Tacoma is disappointing and Toyota's response to documented suspension problems has been unsatisfactory. There is a widely known noise problem with newer Tacomas' suspension that the company has not addressed. The truck is now an embarrassment to drive because it groans so loud. Toyota Customer Cares does not at all! Recently, the truck got stuck in wet grass and I popped a ABS sensor before I could get it us stuck...4x4?

uncomfortable
By bob1971 on 04/29/11 07:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a reliable great quality truck and all but they put these adjustable lumbar supports in them that kill my back . After a while of driving this thing I can feel the bar pressing against my back . If you turn it the other way ( to take the pressure off ) there is a big indention there which is just as bad . It is so bad , I sold the truck .

Everything I needed
By rayjay3434 on 07/15/10 19:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in march 08. Got the base model. Its the forth toyota I've driven but, the first truck. Its done everything I've needed it for. It's hauled 2000 lbs on trailer, gone through snow, handles mountain roads great, and gets 20-22 mpg on my 70 mile commute to work.

Good not Great
By Vantrader on 12/29/09 07:19 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a good truck, but not great like I'd thought it would be. Anti- lock brake system makes a "doosh!" sound when the vehicle is initially started and begins to move. Brought it to the dealership and was told it was the brake system doing a "self test", hmmmm. Annoying more than anything else as it was a 30k vehicle. Find myself keeping the tranny in D4 around town as it is quick to upshift into the highway gear but slow to downshift. Should have gotten the limited slip option as it slips pretty easy in loose gravel or greasy hard-top after a rain. Have not towed with it yet but have used the bed and it performed well.

56K miles down, 944K to go!
By Tango6 on 12/24/09 10:32 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Yes I do expect a million miles out of this truck. I bought it just before I retired from the Army. I used it in the field transporting troops and gear, daily driving around town, and hauling a lot of gear across the country. I change my own oil every 5K miles(Toyota filter & Mobil 1). I've added a K&N air filter and a tri-fold toneau cover. Took a trip up to New Mexico and checked the mileage. I got 24.8 mpg. This included highway & city driving as well as a lot of hills. The truck is very comfortable for cross country trips. In addition to changing my own oil, I change my own spark plugs. Maintenance on this truck is easy due in part to accessibility. It also has tons of great storage!

Great truck
By Ricky on 09/07/09 07:02 AM (PDT)

I have had this truck for two years now. Great truck. Very comfortable to drive. Good power when pulling boat. Had to have windshield trim replaced. About 20mpg. Very happy with this truck.

Never Buying Toyota Again
By perfect-storm on 08/26/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 intending to keep it a long time as they are supposedly known for reliability. Mechanically, the truck was fine and had no issues. I liked the truck and enjoyed driving it. Fuel mileage was OK with an average of 17 to 18 mixed city and highway driving. On the highway, it would get 20mpg if you stay under 70mph. I recently got rid of the truck as the frame was rusting excessively. I have never driven it on a salted road and I did not park it anywhere near the coast. Toyota's rep was extremely condescending and absolutely refused to do anything. No treatment, no coating, NOTHING! Check toyota frame rust issues and realize the problem still exists in '08.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.