Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Mixed bag
By rmw288

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Tacoma used in 2011 with about 25,000 miles on it. I drove it for 3 years and 55,000 miles. I never had any kind of trouble with the engine or drive train, as far as reliability. It never broke down. My complaint was the truck always revved a little high while at idle. Also, the shifting was always weird. At low speed it would stay in low gear too long and rev high before shifting. Under load, the engine would knock. 3 of the 4 automatic door locks eventually quit working. The compass/thermo stopped working. The A/C fan would intermittantly stop working.

Favorite Features

I liked the various storage pockets under seats and in the bed. I liked the 6' bed. My average fuel economy was 18mpg.

Good truck, disappointed in 6 speed gearbox
By gazzbc

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck second-hand to tow a 23' trailer, weighing 5500 pounds loaded. The truck is underpowered for what I'm asking it to do, but gets the job done. Just don't expect to win any drag races. The Sport package handles extremely well for a 4wd live rear axle truck, and is stable towing even with P rated tires. My only real beef is with the 6 speed maual gearbox. It is the slowest, clumsiest tranny I've ever encountered. Forget quickly flicking through the gears - each shift is a two-stage affair with a forced pause at neutral. And it's not just my truck - I drove several examples, and they are all the same. It's a pity, because it is fun to drive otherwise.

Favorite Features

Ample storage under and behind rear seats, lots of room for passengers and kid's car seats, excellent highway manners, good looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother shifting transmission, please.

Disappointed
By richiew13

I bought this truck in May 2011, hoping it would be a reliable and economical vehicle for me to keep for a long time, eventually becoming my #2 vehicle. Ever since I got it, I haven't been happy with the way the engine idles. It sometimes revs fast, and sometimes wavers up and down. I also dislike the way the transmission shifts. It can sometimes be harsh and/or wait too long to shift. As of now, 3 of my automatic door lock mechanisms have quit working. The A/C blower is noisy, and will occasionally stop working. (If you kick it, it will work again.) I hate the way the brakes make a "clunk" sound the first time you hit them after going in reverse. Other than that, I've enjoyed it.

Tacoma has known suspension problems
By jjgarvey

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had two Tacoma double cabs - 2004 and 2008. I bought the second because I was happy with the first. Unfortunately, the quality of the 08 Tacoma is disappointing and Toyota's response to documented suspension problems has been unsatisfactory. There is a widely known noise problem with newer Tacomas' suspension that the company has not addressed. The truck is now an embarrassment to drive because it groans so loud. Toyota Customer Cares does not at all! Recently, the truck got stuck in wet grass and I popped a ABS sensor before I could get it us stuck...4x4?

Favorite Features

Former reputation

Suggested Improvements

engine, suspension, interior, features, suspension, audio, brakes, exterior temp display - failed

uncomfortable
By bob1971

2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a reliable great quality truck and all but they put these adjustable lumbar supports in them that kill my back . After a while of driving this thing I can feel the bar pressing against my back . If you turn it the other way ( to take the pressure off ) there is a big indention there which is just as bad . It is so bad , I sold the truck .

Favorite Features

motor has a lot of zip to it .

Suggested Improvements

new seat with no adjustable lumbar support