2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Good truck, disappointed in 6 speed gearbox
By gazzbc on 04/25/14 11:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck second-hand to tow a 23' trailer, weighing 5500 pounds loaded. The truck is underpowered for what I'm asking it to do, but gets the job done. Just don't expect to win any drag races. The Sport package handles extremely well for a 4wd live rear axle truck, and is stable towing even with P rated tires. My only real beef is with the 6 speed maual gearbox. It is the slowest, clumsiest tranny I've ever encountered. Forget quickly flicking through the gears - each shift is a two-stage affair with a forced pause at neutral. And it's not just my truck - I drove several examples, and they are all the same. It's a pity, because it is fun to drive otherwise.

Got Clutch?
By Got Clutch? on 09/21/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this vehicle for about 9 months, put 10600 miles on it so far. And just lost my clutch. Luckily my friend with a ram was following me and could tow me to a safe place. I'm disappointed. EXTREMELY! I had a rav4 before this which had the tranny drop in it. I just figured it was the luck of buying a used car. I bought new this time in hopes that it would be more dependable... not so much. I take long trips and take my truck off road. I can't be breaking down in the middle of no where when i don't have reception. I would suggest the tacoma... but good luck.

little unhappy
By cegamo on 05/08/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Toyota I trade 2004 Nissan frontier great truck and get this Toyota with only 350 miles it was 6 times in the dealer, engine has a ticking noise and is getting worse, the transmission make a bell noise when is on neutral, and also makes a clunk when go to full stop, the dealer said everything is normal. I wish to have my Nissan back.

Love
By LOVE on 04/07/08 09:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third Toyota pickup, and it's better than the first two. It's excellent. Drives great off road with the TRD packages. Great rims and every thing.

Finally, a REAL truck!
By Ken on 03/27/08 15:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's been a while since I owned a pickup and once I drove the Tacoma, I had to have it! I have the four door double cab, V6, TRD Sport package.

Best Pick-Up
By Oregon Pick-Up on 03/27/08 11:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been looking to get a tacoma since 2005 when the reviews came out on the new v-6 with the 6-speed manual. my wait was well worth it. I love this pick-up. plenty of power and all but one very small feature I wanted. Best in class by far I research for 2 and half years and always came up with the same answer for what I wanted. Toyota Tacoma

Best Mid Size Truck Available
By Howard on 02/08/08 19:36 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Tacoma, and I find the quality of this vehicle far superior to any of the others that I have owned over the years. A solid, built tough truck, that is comfortable enough to take on a family vacation!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.