Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good truck, disappointed in 6 speed gearbox
By gazzbc

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck second-hand to tow a 23' trailer, weighing 5500 pounds loaded. The truck is underpowered for what I'm asking it to do, but gets the job done. Just don't expect to win any drag races. The Sport package handles extremely well for a 4wd live rear axle truck, and is stable towing even with P rated tires. My only real beef is with the 6 speed maual gearbox. It is the slowest, clumsiest tranny I've ever encountered. Forget quickly flicking through the gears - each shift is a two-stage affair with a forced pause at neutral. And it's not just my truck - I drove several examples, and they are all the same. It's a pity, because it is fun to drive otherwise.

Ample storage under and behind rear seats, lots of room for passengers and kid's car seats, excellent highway manners, good looking vehicle.

Smoother shifting transmission, please.

Got Clutch?
By Got Clutch?

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this vehicle for about 9 months, put 10600 miles on it so far. And just lost my clutch. Luckily my friend with a ram was following me and could tow me to a safe place. I'm disappointed. EXTREMELY! I had a rav4 before this which had the tranny drop in it. I just figured it was the luck of buying a used car. I bought new this time in hopes that it would be more dependable... not so much. I take long trips and take my truck off road. I can't be breaking down in the middle of no where when i don't have reception. I would suggest the tacoma... but good luck.

4x4, 6spd, ac, seats are comfortable. This is my second review. Wanted to up date every one on the whole clutch situation.

Back window should be auto, as well as all power windows should have power up. Clutch. Better clutch system! MPG!

little unhappy
By cegamo

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Toyota I trade 2004 Nissan frontier great truck and get this Toyota with only 350 miles it was 6 times in the dealer, engine has a ticking noise and is getting worse, the transmission make a bell noise when is on neutral, and also makes a clunk when go to full stop, the dealer said everything is normal. I wish to have my Nissan back.

looks very nice

manual transmission

Love
By LOVE

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third Toyota pickup, and it's better than the first two. It's excellent. Drives great off road with the TRD packages. Great rims and every thing.

Great lumbar support for my back issues, great 4x4, six speed manuals awesome for road trips, love the headrest.

Needs MP3 jack, it'd be nice to have an aux charger in the middle console like the Corolla.

Finally, a REAL truck!
By Ken

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's been a while since I owned a pickup and once I drove the Tacoma, I had to have it! I have the four door double cab, V6, TRD Sport package.

Overall look of the exterior, engine power, four door access, built in bedliner, sliding rear window, 4x4 system, 5 speed auto trans, factory trailer hitch, engine immobilizer.

Driver's seat should be powered, factory alarm system would have been nice also, steering wheel height should be higher, locking storage compartments, available factory sunroof, illuminated 4x4 switch, powered rear sliding window - especially since this is a four door.