2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great in the Snow
By Kevin on 03/25/10 14:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We just ended a record-breaking winter in Washington with about 70 inches for the season (normal is about 8 inches). The Tacoma was unbelievable--even in 15-20 inches on unplowed streets it never quit. We took it out about eight times the first day just for fun while the neighbors were trapped. The truck has also been great on trips and has much more power than the 1998 Taco it replaced. Toyota bought back the old truck because of frame rust and made it easy to buy the new one.

Nice, but strange things
By Lelan Warren on 11/07/08 08:34 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck, this is my 5 Toyota. But with the 6 speed manual the throttle does strange thing. When you are stopped the RPS are ~ 900 when the truck is rolling and not in gear the RPM go up by them self to ~ 1300? When you are moving in gear and you let off the gas the throttle does not close very fast, it feel like it closes part of the way then in 2 sec it shuts completely. All of this I think hurts the gas mileage 16-17. May be the auto would be better. Yes the cd player need to play MP3s and the 4wd low in trick (but when you learn to push the clutch first it is fine) and the stock tires are low grip. One more thing the plastic bed is very slick. I still like this truck.

It's a Truck
By King Zhong on 10/13/08 05:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the truck in Greenville, SC. Moved 2 kayaks, boating & camping gear, coolers, etc., from our van into the truck at the dealership. My son and I headed off into the NC mountains in search of whitewater. The 4x4 system worked great. The truck had enough room for our 2 week trip. The double doors made the Access cab useful. The cab has great storage areas.

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan on 07/20/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

Great investment!!
By My BABY! on 05/29/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this truck as my 5th Toyota, I've had 2 4Runners, a rav4, and a camry. Not to include my families trucks. I drove 3 different models of Tacoma before purchasing mine, all different engines. I settled with the 6 speed manual. I love it to death. I've had it for six months and have nearly 7000 miles on it. I take it on trips often from Augusta, GA to Conway, AR. It does great! It is amazing off road, better than all the other Toyotas I've driven so far. Handles and climbs great. My dad and uncle went and purchased after me. They have automatics though. They love them.

Solid reliable truck
By Aikizlla on 02/27/08 04:20 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted a Toyota truck for some time. I owned other models but never kept them long. The 08 Tacoma is a solid well built truck with all the features I could want. Six speed is fun to drive and gives a little better engine break control in the snow. The TRD package provides some great seats and other features. The truck runs solid if not a little rough but it is a truck and with the bed loaded it smooths out considerably. Mileage is about as expected. The fit and finish is very solid as well. Does not look cheap or cheesy. Overall very happy with my purchase, great financing was offered by toyota as well as other rebate incentives.

Very impressed. Good job Toyota
By JP on 02/11/08 05:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck new (3 miles on it) one week ago today. Had really been looking at Colorados but after seeing how sharp the black Tacoma w/Rugged Terrain package looked, reading lots and lots of reviews, and doing extensive research, I was hooked. I am glad I spent a couple thousand extra dollars to get too many extra features to count over the competitors, not to mention Toyota reliability. The truck rides smooth, almost like a car, but can turn into a mean mud-flinging machine off road. I have had it in the mud once and I was really impressed with the off-road ability, even in 4x4 high. The 4.0 liter V6 is amazing... extremely powerful throughout the power range, tons of torque.

Good truck, 4-lo a liitle tricky to do
By retired_newmex on 12/10/07 18:20 PM (PST)

Fantastic truck. Lo-4 a little tricky to engage/disengage

2008 Tacoma 4 dr 4x4
By jay on 09/28/07 09:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The best truck on the market. The ride is amazingly comfortable, it's easy to forget you're driving a truck. I traded in a 2001 Tacoma ext cab and I thought that was a great truck. The 2008 is leaps and bounds better. The only knock would be the sound system. I paid the extra money for the "premium" sound system. The performance/sound is disappointing.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.