Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

not happy/08 tacoma
By Randy Bly

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice truck,but toyota won't fix the rear springs in the truck till they brake.call the 1-800 number and received a letter about the springs.they know it's a problem but will not do anything about it.Had a recall on the frame because of rust,it's was painted by toyota.I have had like 4 things that were recalled by toyota .but not the rear springs.not sure what my next truck will be.

Suggested Improvements

Put 4 leaf springs in the tacoma's not3

Mixed bag
By rmw288

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Tacoma used in 2011 with about 25,000 miles on it. I drove it for 3 years and 55,000 miles. I never had any kind of trouble with the engine or drive train, as far as reliability. It never broke down. My complaint was the truck always revved a little high while at idle. Also, the shifting was always weird. At low speed it would stay in low gear too long and rev high before shifting. Under load, the engine would knock. 3 of the 4 automatic door locks eventually quit working. The compass/thermo stopped working. The A/C fan would intermittantly stop working.

Favorite Features

I liked the various storage pockets under seats and in the bed. I liked the 6' bed. My average fuel economy was 18mpg.

Good truck, disappointed in 6 speed gearbox
By gazzbc

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck second-hand to tow a 23' trailer, weighing 5500 pounds loaded. The truck is underpowered for what I'm asking it to do, but gets the job done. Just don't expect to win any drag races. The Sport package handles extremely well for a 4wd live rear axle truck, and is stable towing even with P rated tires. My only real beef is with the 6 speed maual gearbox. It is the slowest, clumsiest tranny I've ever encountered. Forget quickly flicking through the gears - each shift is a two-stage affair with a forced pause at neutral. And it's not just my truck - I drove several examples, and they are all the same. It's a pity, because it is fun to drive otherwise.

Favorite Features

Ample storage under and behind rear seats, lots of room for passengers and kid's car seats, excellent highway manners, good looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother shifting transmission, please.

Disappointed
By richiew13

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in May 2011, hoping it would be a reliable and economical vehicle for me to keep for a long time, eventually becoming my #2 vehicle. Ever since I got it, I haven't been happy with the way the engine idles. It sometimes revs fast, and sometimes wavers up and down. I also dislike the way the transmission shifts. It can sometimes be harsh and/or wait too long to shift. As of now, 3 of my automatic door lock mechanisms have quit working. The A/C blower is noisy, and will occasionally stop working. (If you kick it, it will work again.) I hate the way the brakes make a "clunk" sound the first time you hit them after going in reverse. Other than that, I've enjoyed it.

Love it!!!!
By fatvette

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This has been an awesome truck for what I use it for. I bought it new in 2008 and it currently has 31000 mile on it. Although the miles are relativity low I have not had any failures of any type. The truck has been flawless. The truck is very comfortable considering the bench seat but I did add an aftermarket center console/armrest. Having a place to rest your arm made a big improvement over holding it in your lap or resting on the seat. Engine power in more then adequate. Brakes are a little spongy and road noise on this base model is noticeable.

Favorite Features

This is the base model so features are somewhat limited. I added as options an automatic transmission and air conditioning.

Suggested Improvements

Intermittent windshield wipers and a standard center console/armrest.