2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Disappointed
By richiew13 on 03/06/13 15:39 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in May 2011, hoping it would be a reliable and economical vehicle for me to keep for a long time, eventually becoming my #2 vehicle. Ever since I got it, I haven't been happy with the way the engine idles. It sometimes revs fast, and sometimes wavers up and down. I also dislike the way the transmission shifts. It can sometimes be harsh and/or wait too long to shift. As of now, 3 of my automatic door lock mechanisms have quit working. The A/C blower is noisy, and will occasionally stop working. (If you kick it, it will work again.) I hate the way the brakes make a "clunk" sound the first time you hit them after going in reverse. Other than that, I've enjoyed it.

Love it!!!!
By fatvette on 04/07/12 09:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This has been an awesome truck for what I use it for. I bought it new in 2008 and it currently has 31000 mile on it. Although the miles are relativity low I have not had any failures of any type. The truck has been flawless. The truck is very comfortable considering the bench seat but I did add an aftermarket center console/armrest. Having a place to rest your arm made a big improvement over holding it in your lap or resting on the seat. Engine power in more then adequate. Brakes are a little spongy and road noise on this base model is noticeable.

Tacoma has known suspension problems
By jjgarvey on 11/13/11 18:52 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had two Tacoma double cabs - 2004 and 2008. I bought the second because I was happy with the first. Unfortunately, the quality of the 08 Tacoma is disappointing and Toyota's response to documented suspension problems has been unsatisfactory. There is a widely known noise problem with newer Tacomas' suspension that the company has not addressed. The truck is now an embarrassment to drive because it groans so loud. Toyota Customer Cares does not at all! Recently, the truck got stuck in wet grass and I popped a ABS sensor before I could get it us stuck...4x4?

Performance and Reliability
By demonoid123 on 07/18/11 21:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

MPG: 18 gal=370 miles city maximum. (Never gone past 3 gallon reserve to test out full mileage.) 18gal=400 highway maximum. 18 gal=~$60@$3.40-85octane(w/15%ethanol-Costco) I add LUCAS gas treatment also. Cons: Interior has cheap look and feel. Small spacing for legs. Paint scratches and chips easily. Frame rusts easily. ( Even after power-wash every time exposed to salty roads) Pros: Performance: Will do the job on any terrain(Even with the crappy tires sold by manufacturer: Firestone Destination LE) Engine is reliable and OK Design (accessibility-wise) Bottom line: Not fancy interior but great exterior look and performance.

uncomfortable
By bob1971 on 04/29/11 07:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a reliable great quality truck and all but they put these adjustable lumbar supports in them that kill my back . After a while of driving this thing I can feel the bar pressing against my back . If you turn it the other way ( to take the pressure off ) there is a big indention there which is just as bad . It is so bad , I sold the truck .

Great truck!
By George on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4 cyl does all I need it to do and more. It's been up and down the mountains, through tough places, hauls loads, pulls moderate trailers and just keeps going without problems. The first truck I've owned that gets better MPG than the window sticker. Rarely less than 20 and rarely more than 23 MPG.

The Best turck in the world
By Me on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck and it only had 15,500 miles on it and i love it. It is very stylish and their are so many great add-ons that you can buy for it. I love it being that its not to rednecky like the other trucks. It has class.

Tacoma 08 -- 2 wheel drive
By Swiss on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

2008 Tacoma; purchase from Hunt. Bch. Toyota; driven ONLY in Calif. 1) Looks nice; good color; dark blue 2) Interior ;good color, dark gray 3) BAD Mileage; about 13 to 15 freeway 4) BAD Interior; easily dinged plastic 5) BAD Contract with dealership 6) BAD ; bait and switch; alarm sold me expensive/put in junk 7) Toyota motor corp is non responsive mfg is again not doing anything to deal with stalling & mileage & fraud ! Never again> no Toyota's a dangerous vehicle. Stay away from hb Toyota and Toyota products>>

Poor Quality
By Kevin on 07/18/10 20:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my Toyota Tacoma in November 2007 because of its quality and dependability. In almost 3 years my rear bumper is rusting, there is rust on the roof of the cab, the plastic in the wheel well is falling out. I could go on with problems.

Everything I needed
By rayjay3434 on 07/15/10 19:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in march 08. Got the base model. Its the forth toyota I've driven but, the first truck. Its done everything I've needed it for. It's hauled 2000 lbs on trailer, gone through snow, handles mountain roads great, and gets 20-22 mpg on my 70 mile commute to work.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Tacoma in NJ is:

$206 per month*