2007 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Tacoma 5-Speed SR5

2007 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

Base Access Cab (2.7L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.1 ft. Bed)

Tacoma 5-Speed SR5
By Millsy on

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first pickup I've owned and I generally have high marks. I imagine it's as capable as any other in its class, and IMO it rides extremely comfortably. One major disappointment is the chintziness inside. My gearshift knob swims in place, while the gearshift itself shimmies endlessly in the front gears (1-3-5). There's also a cheap plastic compartment next to the steering column that doesn't shut properly (and I've never used it). I've also been disappointed by the fuel efficiency. While it reports 23/28, I have yet to get anywhere close to 20 mpg from a tank. From a drive standpoint, the manual 5-speed seems essential for responsive on hills, turns, tough on-ramps, etc.

Favorite Features

The access cab is perfectly handy. My 1-year old daughter loves to ride perfectly secure in her car seat on the passenger side. I love the bed cleats (or whatever they're called)- I'm always sliding them around (very easily) to bungy down different stuff I carry around.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should shift some focus to the quality of the interior. There are a number of annoying issues and noises that I've had. An MP3 adapter would also be nice.