Used 2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Trans. Rattle
By Trans. Rattle

2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the reg. cab 4x4 for utility and reliability. The truck has lived up to my expectation except for the 5 spd manual trans. The trans. has rattled when in neutral since day one. Rattle is tolerable except when A/C compressor is running. Had dealer inspect, but they claim it is normal. If I wanted a truck that rattled I would have saved some money and not bought new. I would not buy this truck again do to this problem. If you are going to buy a Tacoma don't get the 5 spd. I haven't heard anything about the 6spd or auto. There is no point in spending extra money for a Toyota if they are going to build them like Fords in California.

Favorite Features

Appearances

Suggested Improvements

Build a transmission that doesn't annoy the heck out of the owners.

Good Truck Tacoma 2wd V6 6m/t
By tslick76

2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I think the Toyota Tacoma V6 is great strong Motor and the 6 speed m/t works fine (I find the oil changes very easy to do, I love the location of the oil filter). But, I have had some problems with chipping paint also. Furthermore the seating position is a little low. Also no iPod connection, my company work van has one. Also I wish the Tacoma had pop out wing windows (my 2004 Tacoma did). The Tacoma has great looks and it will be easy to sale. I suggest getting the tow package (6500lbs), the Tacoma is strong and can handle towing and off road driving. Its easy to beat up any truck, but in 10 years this truck will be still on the road (reliable).

Favorite Features

Looks, power being reliable and options are the main selling point to this truck. Also the bed is nice feature with power outlet and cubbie holes.

Suggested Improvements

Seating postion needs some work. Also iPod connection would be great (Toyota web site says the 2009 models have it now, awesome). Also more interior colors (gray/black are getting old). Pop out wing windows.

Excellent overall value
By Tren

2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Having owned Ford long beds, this truck is far superior in every way except power on hills. I chose the I4 Prerun for value reasons and it's lived up its name. Hauling a motorcycle on a hill with the manual tran at 70 was not a problem nor has getting 22-27 (26-7 if you drive speed limit; my overall avg. is 23.5) on the highway for my daily commute. I've driven 8 hours straight (one stop for gas) and enjoyed comfort comparable to the Accord; cruise control is a must! Also, the midrange power from 70-85 has been surprisingly responsive for those days when you're in a rush. IMO, this truck is a long term keeper.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, build quality, good handling for a truck, storage spaces, comfort, low cabin noise, bed protector, looks.

Suggested Improvements

I added a tonneau cover and K&N air filter. Lund bug shield works great and pops right in. I agree with others about MP3 plug which I may put in next month.

Unpleasant Toyota Experience
By Dirtydog1776

2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck to get better mileage than my old 1999 Dodge Dakota. So far gas mileage has been terrible ( I am a careful driver!), the engine is under powered and the rough downshifting on even slight inclines makes the cruise control useless. Ride is spongy, steering is loose, lots of noise from the engine and road.

Favorite Features

Appears to be reliable, roomy cab, nice layout, large gas tank.

Suggested Improvements

Work on gas mileage, gear ratio on transmission for smoother shifting, better option packages (Couldn't get my favorite color red or other options I wanted).

2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4WD 4 cyl
By jc01

2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Everything has been upgraded from what I was used to. Coming from my previous 1999 version of this same truck, the 2007 version is longer, higher, wider, stronger and smarter. I am glad that they have made standard the 4x4 mode being switchable from the dash and also improved rust preventation under the chasis by using thicker steel, other alloys, and rust inhibiting paint. Standard features I would of thought would be extra (bedliner, CD, AC, etc.) There is no comparison out there. Nissan, Ford, Mazda, Dodge, and Chevy can only hope to ever match the quality, dependability, durability, and plain sleek/smart design of the Tacoma. The Toyota Tacoma continues to define the small truck genre.

Favorite Features

4drs! Bedliner that is literally a part of the truck, not an after sale afterthought. The adjustible track on the bed to attach bungee cords is really useful. Well designed garage door opener holder. High ground clearance. CD player. Lots of storage space inside and out! Plenty of cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

External audio input jack (for mp3 player)! Those mp3 player to FM transmitter boxes just don't cut it. What is that, a 5 cent part! Toyota needs to make a hybrid and/or electric only performance targeted sports car and truck. Electric motor torque output is much higher than gas motor torque output.