Used 2007 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I want my '97 Taco back!
By mph66

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I *hate* this truck. My '97 Taco got better mileage. I have an up/down hilly commute of 7 1/2 miles per day, each way. I hypermile by coasting down hills, and still, the best I can eke out is 24 mpg. They took the same spec. 4 cyl. engine from the '97 Taco and put it into the huge, bulky body of the 2007 access cab. This thing labors up the slightest of inclines. I don't need a "full size pickup" to compensate for something else. The smaller truck was fine for going to Home Depot or the transfer station. My manhood was not threatened, yet for some reason, it seems that Toyota's masculinity was somehow called into question. I want my old truck back!

Favorite Features

The radio, but then, I put that in myself, replacing the factory stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the old body style, or stop offering a 4 cyl. engine in your trucks, Toyota. Just admit that you've ceased to be a company that made its fortune catering to an American public concerned about the price of conspicuous fuel consumption. I will never buy another Toyota product. I am completely disappointed in this vehicle. Armrests are entirely uncomfortable on long trips- hurts the elbows.

Little Hauler/Commuter
By Robert C

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First Toyota truck I've owned. I've owned a Frontier and a Ranger in the past. The Tacoma is a little better than the Frontier and a lot better than the Ranger, if you can get over the price difference. My Access Cab 4 cyl. is good on gas, but is underpowered even with a manual trans. First gear seems to be geared too low and hard to find at times when rolling at lower speeds. The exterior design is OK, with the stock wheels and tires too small for the well area The interior is nicely laid out with plenty of leg room for tall drivers. The radio is a little weak and the access cab area seating is too straight up for a comfortable ride. Overall, quality is good, just needs more 4cyl power.

Favorite Features

Front cabin space especially for taller drivers. Composite bed liner with adjustable tie-downs.

Suggested Improvements

Better power from 4 cyl. engine. Better radio sound/volume. Larger stock tires and wheels. More comfortable access cab area by having adjustable/angled back rest.

Tacoma 5-Speed SR5
By Millsy

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first pickup I've owned and I generally have high marks. I imagine it's as capable as any other in its class, and IMO it rides extremely comfortably. One major disappointment is the chintziness inside. My gearshift knob swims in place, while the gearshift itself shimmies endlessly in the front gears (1-3-5). There's also a cheap plastic compartment next to the steering column that doesn't shut properly (and I've never used it). I've also been disappointed by the fuel efficiency. While it reports 23/28, I have yet to get anywhere close to 20 mpg from a tank. From a drive standpoint, the manual 5-speed seems essential for responsive on hills, turns, tough on-ramps, etc.

Favorite Features

The access cab is perfectly handy. My 1-year old daughter loves to ride perfectly secure in her car seat on the passenger side. I love the bed cleats (or whatever they're called)- I'm always sliding them around (very easily) to bungy down different stuff I carry around.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should shift some focus to the quality of the interior. There are a number of annoying issues and noises that I've had. An MP3 adapter would also be nice.

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By nick

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a large arrray of cars and trucks and this by far beats them all. I do a lot of off road driving and playing around in the mud, and I have yet to be able to get this thing stuck. When I took delivery of this truck I left the lot and headed on a 2000 mi road trip, most comfortable ride and great fuel economy. Does great at highway speeds and around town. I will never get rid of this truck, it will stay in the family for the rest of its life and guess what, it is a Toyota. It's going to be around for a while!

Favorite Features

Aggressive styling, quality interior, light weight and great for off roading.

Suggested Improvements

Give me a mp3/wma/ipod jack.

Fuel economy
By Lon

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Highway rating of 27 MPG is close. I have achieved 26 MPG consistantly on daily commute of 70 mile roundtrip with secondary country roads and some city. Very happy overall.

Favorite Features

Pleased generally with all.

Suggested Improvements

Power operator seat. 12 volt access plug should charge when key is off.