What a great truck!
By adpinc on
2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I turned in a leased 2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71. I had discovered that I really didn't need a full sized truck, and with gas prices where they are, I decided to buy a compact pick-up. I needed to have 4x4 and a double-cab design for seating for 4. I wanted reliability, but most importantly higher gas mileage. I quickly discovered that the Tacoma topped the list as far as meeting these minimum requirements. It has the best gas mileage in its class, very comfortable ride, and with the SR5 package, more than enough standard creature comforts. I have never owned a Toyota before, always opting for Hondas, but I have to tell you, I now understand "Toyota loyalty." What a great buy!
Favorite Features
For readers who are car drivers, getting 17-20 mpg probably sounds terrible. But for those who know trucks, it's huge!! No one is coming close to this mileage in this class of vehicle with a 4.0L engine and 4x4 tranny. I'm delighted after running my Chevy Av at 13-14 mpg.
Suggested Improvements
Power seats with SR5 package. Lockable tailgate standard. More insulation in the roof liner (road noise is great; but rain noise is loud, if you can believe it!). Power radio antenna. Engine option around 3.5L would be great w/ 4x4.