Great Truck For The Money
By BDana on
2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)
Have owned this truck for about 2 months. Traded in a 2002 Dakota as I was sick of 15 mpg. The Toyata has delivered an impressive 25-26 mpg. Recently returned from a 2 week fishing trip. Towed a 14 ft boat, motor, and enough equipment to last the average man 6 moths. Even with all the extra weight it averaged 21-22 mpg and on the ride home with less weight it climbed back to over 23. For a 4 cylinder vehicle it pulled my boat & trailer with little problem, going in the Berkshires with little downshifting. Only problem I have had is with visibility. I find my view blocked when checking oncoming traffic to my left so need to rely on the exterior mirrors more and direct sight less.
Favorite Features
Obviously I love the mileage the most. I know gas prices have come down but does anyone really think they won't go back up? 25-26 mpg is pretty sweet. For a 4 cyl engine truck has impressive torque and pulling power. Acceleration, while not overwhelming, is adequate.
Suggested Improvements
The visiblity problem bothers me. The way I have my seat adjusted the solid part of the cab where the seat belt protrudes and the glass window ends blocks my view of traffic from my left. This seems a safety hazard, when entering a highway for example. A split seat and cruise control would be nice.