2006 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic 6.1 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Almost perfect. I'd buy it

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

PreRunner V6 Double Cab (4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic 6.1 ft. Bed)

Almost perfect. I'd buy it again.
By Steve in Alabama on

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine is PreRunner V6 Quad Cab Longbed. The rails in the bed are perfect for an Extang Black Max Tonneau. Plenty of room and comfort for family and big dog on trip. Longbed perfect for luggage to ladders to tree limbs going to the dump. Best mileage is 23 hwy, but driving fast loaded can get it to 18. No problems of any kind after one year and 15000 miles. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but the LB has a Suburban size wheelbase, and therefore a large turning radius, which makes small spaces tight. Seating is comfortable on long trips and provides good driver support. I'm 6'1" and 190. Vision all around is good. Unless you deal with small parking spaces every day, buy the longbed.

Favorite Features

Longbed box, rails in box for tiedowns. Good support for my elbows. Intuitive controls. Powerful enough for towing UHaul 6x12. Comfortable ride and plenty of space, inside and out. I like its looks.

Suggested Improvements

Window and lock controls at driver's left need to be illuminated. Can't find them in the dark. Biggest gripe is under cruise control trans downshifts excessively. Under load uphill trans will downshift twice to third at 4K rpm. Without cruise, it downshifts once to 3K rpm. Backup lights too dim.