Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Why Did I Wait?
By Kelshm

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am your typical "Truck Guy". I have loved the small 4X4 pickup since Datsun had them out in the early 80's. I have never owned one though, until this one. I don't know why I waited so long. In my job I drive many vehicles and once I drove the '06 Tacoma, I knew I was home. I haven't driven a smoother more comfortable pickup of this size ever. I also have a disability that causes me to suffer a great deal of pain when driving most vehicles. I don't experience any pain when driving my Tacoma. If everyone built a vehicle this solid and reliable, I would be out of work. There is a reason that a used Tacoma sells at or near its' original selling price.

Favorite Features

Getting better MPG than the EPA says, smoothness, stance, bucket seats and console.

Suggested Improvements

There are no improvements I can think of for this truck.

2006 tacoma
By jim hecker

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Performance is great, but has vibration and harmonic hum starting at about 54 mph. Has been there since new, havent taken back to dealer yet. Also, 2 of the wheel center caps will not fit straight, are crooked. These are the only problems so far.

Favorite Features

very nicely built truck, this is my 4th Toyota truck. Hopefully will be reliable as the rest have been.

Suggested Improvements

Need better fit and finish on wheel caps, you cant tell me no one noticed how poorly they fit before they let it out the door. Dont like the look of the fender flares.

I Waited 20 years for this truck
By Kelshm

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have wanted a Tacoma forever. I never seemed to be able to find one when it was time to trade however. This time I just went all out and bought a new one. I should have done this before! This truck is phenomenal! I have never felt so secure in a vehicle in my life!

Favorite Features

I can't decide what my favorite features might be. I love everything about this truck!

Suggested Improvements

I personally cannot think of a single improvement needing to be made on this truck.

2006 Prerunner, V6, Access cab, 5A
By Lou

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Highway and in town driving produces same MPG, around 20. No problems in 8,550 miles. Nice around town truck with ample power. Not suited for long trips or in windy conditions. Draws favorable comments and has high resale value. Very well could be best mid size truck on the market.

Favorite Features

The design is easy on the eye; ride quality is good with lower tire pressure. Very responsive for a V6. Fuel milage is good and predictible.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise around sliding rear window when AC is turned on. Unstable at highway speeds, especiall with cross winds. Transmisssion does not shift into final gear if you are cruising around 40 MPH and sometimes makes noise when changing gears.

No Brainer --
By MTB

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Best mid sized truck out there. Fit and finish are top-shelf-- best interior quality of any truck out there. Good power and excellent, though firm, ride. At least as comfortable as my 2002 Maxima. I looked at used Tacomas to save a little cash, but they seem to hold their value so well it made sense to just get a new one. Also considered Ridgeline and Xterra. Ridgeline was very nice, but pricier. Xterra was less expensive, but not as comfortable or as well done inside- plus I think I'll get more than the price difference back via resale value with Toyota. Frontier back seat was far less comfortable, thus eliminating it from consideration.

Favorite Features

Overall style and qulaity, quiet interior, expected resale value, Upgraded JBL sound is good, though bass is a little 'flabby' Good bedliner and adjustable cleats.

Suggested Improvements

i-Pod and/or MP3 compatibility.