2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
I'd buy another tomorrow...!!
By John Dick on 01/30/07 17:44 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Best vehicle I've ever owned. Only 16000 Kms, but absolutely fantastic so far.. No problems. Great truck man...!!

Truck of the Century
By Jordan on 01/30/07 16:33 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck last summer and have loved my decision to do so ever since. I have the TRD sport package which gives the truck a mean, and manly look. The truck is loaded with power and will basically do anything you ask of it. Features are great and there are several different styles to suit your personal needs. These trucks are built to last and you just cannot wear these babies out. I previously owned a 2001 Tacoma and the increase in size, durability and power is amazing. It's almost like Toyota created a completely different model and assigned the name Tacoma to it. Again, if you're contemplating buying this truck, debate no longer. This is sure to be the truck for you!

Love my truck
By G. Kennedy on 01/24/07 15:58 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have always wanted a Toyota Tacoma ever since they came out. Last November I purchased the 2006 Cab 6 cylender Tacoma with off road package and love affair has begun. To solve the gas mileage problem (17 city and 19 road), I got a bed cover and improved my gas mileage to 18 city and 22 road. One problem is the lock in 4 wheel drive does not have a light and in bad weather is hard to locate. Otherwise there is nothing bad I can say about this truck so buy it.

Great Truck
By John Seebach on 01/15/07 19:51 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 dr access cab in 12/06. I was a faithful Ford Ranger owner prior to the Tacoma. I had a '97 Ranger until 4/06 and then purchased a 2006 Ranger. I was not pleased with the '06 Ranger. I took a chance on a Toyora Tacoma. Really enjoy the quality and performance of this vehicle, especially compared to the '06 Ranger. There really is a dramatic difference in quality, interior features and smooth ride. The gas mileage on the Tacoma is not as good -about 21 city and 24 highway - but the superior quality makes up for it.

Your best bet!
By wilbret on 12/23/06 09:02 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Highly recommended. After owning 3 Chevrolets, a Nissan, and a Mitsubishi, I can say that the Toyota takes the cake. This truck is meant to be a truck. It doesn't have all the frilly features you will find on other brands, but you won't need them, trust me. You are buying a truck. The ride is sturdy, noise kept to a minimum, the seats are comfortable and both front and rear seats have ample leg and headroom. If you are considering a pickup, Tacoma will satisfy your needs even if you are hunting a full-size. I wouldn't recommend it for towing anything over 5,000 lbs, though. It can handle the PULL, it's the stopping that becomes tough. This is my first non 4x4, and I can say so far so good.

Not very satisfied
By Scott C. on 12/19/06 11:00 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall probably the best truck in its class but for a $30K truck I would expect more standard features such as an illuminated glove box, illuminated console, illuminated sun visor mirrors, cargo bed light (the Tundra has it), heated mirrors, outside temp. and compass display (only available on sport or off road models). The transmission is extremely shifty and in my opinion rough. It often feels like I got rear ended when coming to a stop. My 2004 Jeep with 180K miles shifted much more smoothly. The stock stereo system is absolutely terrible. Virtually no highs, muffled lows and no midrange adjustment. Stereo in my 2000 4 Runner is 5 times better. Again, I would expect more at this pricepoint.

Best Truck Built
By Mark Luffred on 12/18/06 08:15 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best truck on the market. The coil-spring double wishbone front suspension on this truck gives you the feel of driving a luxury car. The power to weight ratio gives you better than expected acceleration performance even on the 4 cylinder. The bed rail system combined with the bed anchors give you the flexibility to handle any hauling task.

Great little truck
By J to the B on 12/12/06 12:44 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota truck number three for me. Base 2wd, regular cab, short bed. The second I shifted into second gear on the test drive I knew she was mine. I love the front end styling of the truck, but think the rear end is ugly. Mileage consistently in the very low 20s (mix of hwy and city) which is a little disappointing. The truck accelerated the same with 1,000 lbs of sand in the back or with nothing in the back, which surprised me (a good thing). I love my little truck.

Great Truck Except
By Todd Cranford on 12/08/06 12:10 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my truck; researched thoroughly before I made the purchase. I traded a 2003 Silverado and there really is no comparison between the two vehichles. I have put 4000 miles on it in all types of weather conditions and have to say that the driving experience is a pleasure. Going from the V8 in the Chevy to the V6 was a concern, but it turns out that my Tacoma has power to spare when needed. This is truly a great truck except for one issue that I hope to get resolved and does not cause any long term damage. I notice a tapping in the engine, only on cold starts and it certainly has me alarmed although it quits after the engine is warm. My dealership will resolve this issue.

Almost perfect. I'd buy it again.
By Steve in Alabama on 12/05/06 11:08 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine is PreRunner V6 Quad Cab Longbed. The rails in the bed are perfect for an Extang Black Max Tonneau. Plenty of room and comfort for family and big dog on trip. Longbed perfect for luggage to ladders to tree limbs going to the dump. Best mileage is 23 hwy, but driving fast loaded can get it to 18. No problems of any kind after one year and 15000 miles. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but the LB has a Suburban size wheelbase, and therefore a large turning radius, which makes small spaces tight. Seating is comfortable on long trips and provides good driver support. I'm 6'1" and 190. Vision all around is good. Unless you deal with small parking spaces every day, buy the longbed.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.