Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

A good buy
By Todd

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck brand new with 18 miles on the odometer. It now has over 45,000 miles and I still love it. Decent gas mileage for a truck, plenty of power, great offroad capability with the 4WD model, and awesome styling. The only gripe I have is why Toyota didn't include a locking tailgate. Other than that I love the Tacoma, and I get lots of compliments on it too. Will definitely buy another Toyota in the future.

Interior space, towing ability, stylish look. Fun to drive too.

Lockable tailgate, locking fuel door.

Get The "Platinum" Warranty
By Josh

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and it wasn't covered by the warranty. They wanted $1100 to fix it, telling me the "Gold" warranty doesn't cover that, only the "Platinum". I took the unit apart and fixed it myself in about ten minutes. Seems like it goes through a lot of batteries too, four in 2 1/2 yrs.

Locking rear differential is nice, got me out of a couple of tight spots. Tie downs in the bed are a God send. I have yet to find a load too awkward to tie down.

Fix the jerk that you get when you come to a stop. Sound system could use some work. At least include an iPod/MP3 jack, I ended up dumping $1000 into a sound system and it made a world of difference. Toyota should cover ALL electronic components for the life of your warranty, not just some.

Worth Every Penny
By Parrothead

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Toyota PreRunner for over 2 yrs now and I have no regrets about purchasing this truck. It has met or exceeded my expectations, and is far superior in quality than the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge products that I have owned. My only complaint is the angulation of the center air vent on the driver's side; it blows air directly on the driver even when an attempt is made to angle it toward the rear cab. Domestic truck manufacturers have a long way to go to meet the quality and dependability of this vehicle.

Handling.

Air vent angulation.

What a great truck!
By adpinc

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I turned in a leased 2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71. I had discovered that I really didn't need a full sized truck, and with gas prices where they are, I decided to buy a compact pick-up. I needed to have 4x4 and a double-cab design for seating for 4. I wanted reliability, but most importantly higher gas mileage. I quickly discovered that the Tacoma topped the list as far as meeting these minimum requirements. It has the best gas mileage in its class, very comfortable ride, and with the SR5 package, more than enough standard creature comforts. I have never owned a Toyota before, always opting for Hondas, but I have to tell you, I now understand "Toyota loyalty." What a great buy!

For readers who are car drivers, getting 17-20 mpg probably sounds terrible. But for those who know trucks, it's huge!! No one is coming close to this mileage in this class of vehicle with a 4.0L engine and 4x4 tranny. I'm delighted after running my Chevy Av at 13-14 mpg.

Power seats with SR5 package. Lockable tailgate standard. More insulation in the roof liner (road noise is great; but rain noise is loud, if you can believe it!). Power radio antenna. Engine option around 3.5L would be great w/ 4x4.

Solid ride
By HeywoodJablome

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I can't believe people still consider the Tacoma a "small" truck. This thing grew massively on its last re-design. It is not the same Toyota truck I learned to drive on in 1986. I am a heavyweight myself, and find the truck very accommodating. The interior looks good, great exterior styling, and the bed with all of its features is the best design out there. The economy of the engine is great too.

Bed with integrated rail and tie down system. Economy of the 4-banger. Plenty of room for storage in the Access Cab.

This is a heavy truck, so the performance of the 4 cyl is lacking. Roll up windows... come on Toyota, it is 2006. Power windows, locks, and keyless entry should be standard on every vehicle you make.