Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Driveline could not be worse!
By Indy

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Sharp truck, too bad I hate driving it because the transmission shudders so bad when shifting gears. The automatic shifting is infuriating all the way around. It down shifts like it has Jake brakes. Good luck trying to coast. Toyota claims that all these problems are not problems, but normal. I wish they had mentioned these normal features in their brochure.

Favorite Features

Interior/exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tranny problem!

I'd buy another tomorrow...!!
By John Dick

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Best vehicle I've ever owned. Only 16000 Kms, but absolutely fantastic so far.. No problems. Great truck man...!!

Favorite Features

Audio controls on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Lower Price... hehe.

Truck of the Century
By Jordan

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck last summer and have loved my decision to do so ever since. I have the TRD sport package which gives the truck a mean, and manly look. The truck is loaded with power and will basically do anything you ask of it. Features are great and there are several different styles to suit your personal needs. These trucks are built to last and you just cannot wear these babies out. I previously owned a 2001 Tacoma and the increase in size, durability and power is amazing. It's almost like Toyota created a completely different model and assigned the name Tacoma to it. Again, if you're contemplating buying this truck, debate no longer. This is sure to be the truck for you!

Favorite Features

The new body style, inside and out. Audio system is very good to be factory made.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota instituted a new braking system into the new Tacomas which made the brakes stronger. This is a good thing, however, if moisture builds up, the truck has a tendency to squeal at initial startup. Other than that, everything is perfect the way it is.

Not very satisfied
By Scott C.

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall probably the best truck in its class but for a $30K truck I would expect more standard features such as an illuminated glove box, illuminated console, illuminated sun visor mirrors, cargo bed light (the Tundra has it), heated mirrors, outside temp. and compass display (only available on sport or off road models). The transmission is extremely shifty and in my opinion rough. It often feels like I got rear ended when coming to a stop. My 2004 Jeep with 180K miles shifted much more smoothly. The stock stereo system is absolutely terrible. Virtually no highs, muffled lows and no midrange adjustment. Stereo in my 2000 4 Runner is 5 times better. Again, I would expect more at this pricepoint.

Favorite Features

Ride, gas mileage for a truck of this size, roomy back seat for up to 3 people.

Suggested Improvements

More standard features as noted above, improved transmission.

Almost perfect. I'd buy it again.
By Steve in Alabama

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine is PreRunner V6 Quad Cab Longbed. The rails in the bed are perfect for an Extang Black Max Tonneau. Plenty of room and comfort for family and big dog on trip. Longbed perfect for luggage to ladders to tree limbs going to the dump. Best mileage is 23 hwy, but driving fast loaded can get it to 18. No problems of any kind after one year and 15000 miles. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but the LB has a Suburban size wheelbase, and therefore a large turning radius, which makes small spaces tight. Seating is comfortable on long trips and provides good driver support. I'm 6'1" and 190. Vision all around is good. Unless you deal with small parking spaces every day, buy the longbed.

Favorite Features

Longbed box, rails in box for tiedowns. Good support for my elbows. Intuitive controls. Powerful enough for towing UHaul 6x12. Comfortable ride and plenty of space, inside and out. I like its looks.

Suggested Improvements

Window and lock controls at driver's left need to be illuminated. Can't find them in the dark. Biggest gripe is under cruise control trans downshifts excessively. Under load uphill trans will downshift twice to third at 4K rpm. Without cruise, it downshifts once to 3K rpm. Backup lights too dim.