Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Most Helpful|
Awesome truck!
By toyotaman

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I previously owned an 04 Nissan Frontier, which I immediately regretted buying, so I traded it for an 05 tacoma 4cyl. PreRunner. I loved that truck so much that when it got taken away from me by my father who was the cosignor, I had to have another one. So I bought an 06 PreRunner, this time with a v6. I absolutely love this truck! I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe another Tacoma. wouldnt change anything as far as design goes. I just wish I'd spent the extra for a double cab long bed 4x4. Otherwise, I love my truck. Unfortunately so does my girlfriend, and we often argue over who gets to drive it.

Favorite Features

V6, ride height, offroad abilities despite being 2 wheel drive.

paint!
By Mike

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Use the truck only for recreation; road trips to races, tailgating, a few cross-country road trips. I'm 6'5" and have plenty of legroom. Firm but comfortable ride, hiway mileage is acceptable. Have an automatic tranny and quickly learned to keep the truck in 4th in hill county. 5 speeds are nice for flatland mileage but it constantly shifts between 4th and 5th in hilly country. Only major complaint is that the paint is junk. "Impulse red" looks great but it chips if you look at it wrong. I've seen this complaint from other reviewers so I'm far from alone. Never, ever had a vehicle that chipped so easily. If it weren't for this I'd rate the truck as far and away the best in class.

Favorite Features

Mechanical build quality, interior room, performance, ride, appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to improve the quality of the paint big time. I love the truck but spend a lot of time with touch-up paint. I don't drive the truck off-road nor use it for commercial purposes. No excuse for the paint chipping so easily.

Awesome truck...but....
By '06Tacoma

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, this Tacoma has been very good and useful for us. However, that being said, if you have the means and are looking for an AUTO trans Taco, I would suggest getting the V6 instead. I currently own an '07 Double-cab long bed Prerunner and average about 21mpg (our local gas is a 10% ethanol blend). With the inline 4, I was only averaging about 22mpg so the fuel economy savings with the 4 is very slim. The V6 also idles softer/smoother (as is the case with most V6's vs larger displacement 4's). Also, occasionally during cold starts the inline 4 seemed to idle quite high and noisily for about half a minute before settling down (others have posted reviews about this as well).

Favorite Features

Excellent fit and finish. No squeaks or rattles whatsoever. Excellent reliability. Tailgate is much lighter than Frontier's tailgate, which makes our frequent bed use a little easier. Under-seat storage is very useful.

Suggested Improvements

Address the inline 4 engine's "high idle". Give the 4 cylinder Tacoma's a 5-speed auto vs the 4-speed to help with fuel economy. It's a very minor inconvenience, but an oil filter location similar to the Tacoma V6's would be nice.

4x4 6 speed manual
By roll_tide_geek

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently traded this truck in, but had it since 2007 when I bought it new. Never had to replace anything but the oil! It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Great off road, comfortable ride. The biggest downside was the fuel economy. It is very poor for a small truck! When I first bought it I didn't notice it as much but then when I moved and had to drive more the economy became very apparent. That was what made me trade it in because it was just too hard communiting 40 miles everyday.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, built in bed liner a nice feature. Very very reliable truck!!

Suggested Improvements

Backseat space in the access cab not so good. Never was a fan of the cloth material they used in this truck (had seat covers on it from almost day one). Fuel economy subpar

Severely dissappointed
By dunwithtoyota

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2006 for 7 years now and until recently I loved it. Very reliable and very few problems (compared to the GM's I used to drive). However when I took it for the latest state inspection it wouldn't pass because the frame is rusting away. This problem now seems to be appearing on many 05 & 06 Tacomas. Both the dealer and I contacted Toyota separately concerning this. Toyota's response was basically 'too bad, now go away'. Before this happened I was a big cheerleader for Toyota. Now, I'll never buy another Toyota again

Favorite Features

reliability quality (except frame)

Suggested Improvements

put same quality into frame that's in the rest of the truck