2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
2006 TRD Taco Review - One Year In
By CFFuts on 05/30/07 09:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's been almost one year since I purchased my 06 TRD Crew Cab Short Box and overall it was a great buy. It has been very reliable, gets relatively good mileage (at 11.2k miles, I've averaged 17.75 MPG) and is fun to drive.

Nice Truck
By Frank L. on 05/30/07 07:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My truck has been wonderful to own. I have almost 25,000 miles on it and it has not given my any problems.

Good reliable lightweight hauler
By Alex on 05/20/07 15:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My '92 truck was maintenance free for 175,000 miles except for a radiator replacement. My '06 is nice to drive and has so far been reliable with 30,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my clutch squeaking, not a maintenance issue, but horribly annoying all the same. I will be taking it in again for another clutch repair. It is still under warranty. The annoying part is that I will have to deal with this again in the future when it is not under warranty. The 4 cylinder manual is peppy and responsive. I like the good gas mileage for a truck this size. Watch out for the sliding rear window. I accidentally broke mine and it was going to cost over $800 to replace, a major Toyota ripoff. Mine now has plexiglass, a total repair cost of $15.

Craig's truck
By Craig on 05/11/07 19:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This truck has all the power you will need. The brakes are spongy and the clutch takes getting used to. Otherwise, this truck is typical Toyota quality.

Second Review
By CRJ Driver on 04/22/07 11:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My second review. Bought new in 08/06.TRD SPRT. 2300 miles later and still loving it! 1560 RPM's and you're doing 65 MPH. 1800 and you are at 75. I have never seen it go over 2500 RPM. I see no reason to. Quiet, stiff enough but not brutal, nothing but two oil changes so far, poster vehicle for reliability. Seats offer good suppport, tranny shifts silky smooth, no issues with harshness, so quiet it's hard to tell what gear you are in. Be smooth on the gas pedal and you will be rewarded. 19 mpg city and 23 fwy. There is no possible way to destruct this truck if you have a head over your shoulders.

Why did I buy a Dodge first?
By GI Tiger on 04/19/07 20:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great, fun, truck, the V6 power plant is just right for this vehicle. I'm glad I bought all the extras (TRD, Prerunner, SR5) with the off road package. This truck does do some weird things though, don't drive too fast in windy conditions, it likes to nose plow, controlling it sometimes is a job in itself. It doesn't drive well on uneven roads at times.

Awesome truck!
By toyotaman on 04/15/07 17:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I previously owned an 04 Nissan Frontier, which I immediately regretted buying, so I traded it for an 05 tacoma 4cyl. PreRunner. I loved that truck so much that when it got taken away from me by my father who was the cosignor, I had to have another one. So I bought an 06 PreRunner, this time with a v6. I absolutely love this truck! I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe another Tacoma. wouldnt change anything as far as design goes. I just wish I'd spent the extra for a double cab long bed 4x4. Otherwise, I love my truck. Unfortunately so does my girlfriend, and we often argue over who gets to drive it.

Nice performance and room
By reed on 04/03/07 23:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had to replace my Audi with a truck for work purposes. I was expecting to be disappointed but this truck has exceeded my expectations. It has decent horsepower and torque. Handles well in snow (with four sand bags and studs), stereo sounds good, Sport package has nice options. Not the most comfortable ride but the truck can carry a decent load.

Reliable, Functional Performer
By tacoma_tx on 02/13/07 08:08 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is by far the best in its class. I test drove every manufacturer's mid-size trucks and the Tacoma was all around the best truck. It is worth the extra money relative to domestic trucks, considering resale value of Toyota. The Toyota has an excellent reputation of making outstanding vehicles. The visual appearence is obviously eye catching. The interior is designed well and very functional. The performance is outstanding. The V6 has more power than it needs, which is the way it should be. I tow a trailer and haul loads all the time and it welcomes a challenge with no problem. I have had no problems with my truck. Although I wish it had 4x4, the 4x2 performs outstanding offroad.

Driveline could not be worse!
By Indy on 02/02/07 09:40 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Sharp truck, too bad I hate driving it because the transmission shudders so bad when shifting gears. The automatic shifting is infuriating all the way around. It down shifts like it has Jake brakes. Good luck trying to coast. Toyota claims that all these problems are not problems, but normal. I wish they had mentioned these normal features in their brochure.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.