Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Oh What a Feeling!
By TNRiverjet

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck as a demo with 8K miles. I now have 82K plus in about two years and it is still ticking strong. I do find the seats uncomfortable for long road trips, but every other part of interior design and layout is perfect. Storage is excellent. I had the rear leaf TSB performed to replace the original springs. The new 4 leaf springs handle weight much better than stock. I use Michelin LTX AT tires. This truck rides and drives like a car! It is sporty, powerful, nimble. It is also easy to maneuver in parking lots/garages and around town. Service has been minimum/standard and I have had no warranty issues. The transmission seems to seek gears esp. around 40 mph.

110v power outlet in bed. Bed tiedowns. composite bed, crew cab, storage behind rear seats. tow package is worth the $$ with an extremely stout 2" receiver hitch. Fuel mileage (as recorded per every fillup) is avg. 20-21 over 82K mi.

bluetooth, sunroof, sliding rear window like fullsize Tundra, more weight carrying capacity, more bulletproof transmission, locking tailgate

2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
By SR5

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It took a while to get used to the truck's dimensions. Steering is very responsive. Steering seemed quite free on freeway, like truck wasn't LOCKED into lane. Ride is smooth, great shocks. Brakes are light, not sensitive. Quite a bit of outside noise even with windows up. Can be difficult at times to see cars in blindspots. Great on rough or dirt-roads. Went deep into the forest, made my own road. Like I listed above, 86,000 miles on an '06 Tacoma. I'm on the same brakes, plugs, clutch, and feel I can reach 100,000 b4 any changes. Needed new set of tires at 60k and a wheel alignment. Got rear ended right rear corner, pretty hard, things did not shatter just bent (STRONG) no frame damage.

Abundance of cupholders. Bed railings very useful. Bed compartments. Storage under the flip down rear seats. Bed has bolted down liner. Auto-shut off lights when key removed & driver opens door. Gotta love its 9 cupholders. clutchless start option. Deep center console. Good sound & bass.

Make it easier to see blindspots. Reverse camera would help. Can't really think of more things. This is a truck. It maintained more of what a truck is, rather than becoming some gadget savvy vehicle with no muscle.

Should not have to get special Warranty
By otherland

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and the airbag sensor lights stayed on was covered by warranty do not think this should be happening to a new truck. Have not had time to find out how much the Compass/temp gauge is going to cost. But as a rule it runs a lot better than the other truck I owned

The body style it really has a lot of class

Fix all the little stuff like sensor lights, compass and gauges and the sound system. I purchased all the options on this truck these little things should not go out for the price it cost. Please check the braking system

Don't buy on brand alone.
By Mike Noble

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 28,000 miles with my 2006 Tacoma 2WD, manual trans, the overall experience has been less than I expected. The power of the 2.7L four is marginal even in a vehicle this light. 158 horses out of 2.7L is pretty pitiful today considering it has variable valve timing. The 5-speed trans is poorly geared, and not matched to the engine's power curve. The 3:31 rear gears makes 5th gear unusable. Overall, I wouldn't buy it again. It will probably go 200,000 miles, but I'll never make it! Don't consider buying it because it's a Toyota!

The headlights are great, and the seat is comfortable. I like the composite bed, but it's too slick.

Needs a better trans. The 4:1 first gear makes 2nd too far away. I really lugs the motor when you hit 2nd. It needs 4:10 rear gears instead of 3:31. 5th gear is useless with the 3:31 gears. Gas mileage is better in 4th.

Happy Overall
By Central Connecticut

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck (used) to replace a well-worn full size pickup. It was my hope to buy a smaller truck, and still enjoy the higher ride, spacious cabin, and load-carrying capacity of my old truck, but with better fuel economy. I'm very satisfied on the first two points, but less so on the load-carrying and fuel economy. When this truck is loaded to capacity, the rear springs are almost bottomed out. And the fuel economy is only slightly better than a full size truck. Overall, though, I'm quite happy. It's handling is stiff and glued to the road, like a sports car, but comfortable on long trips. And even for a tall person, the seating and controls are very satisfactory.

Nimble handling and competent performance on and off road. Cabin accommodations are comfortable and well thought out. The Toyota brand has a superb reputation for reliability.

Heated outside mirrors, a bed light and additional gauges would be appreciated. If higher load capacities were offered as an option, Tacomas could compete better against full sized trucks.