Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 235 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Poor Suspension
By CHRIS RICHARDS

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my SR5 4x4 access cab and loved it from day 1, and after a few months of driving and hitting a few little bumps on pavement & dirt roads (even while empty and just me driving) the rear end would bottom out and the suspension is less then standard. I couldn't be. that Toyota would allow only 2 leaf springs in the rear of any of their trucks. Otherwise the truck runs great & I think they have since upgraded this after 2006 - or at least I hope so. Everything else has been perfect.

I love the interior and over all fuel - easy to ride.

Needs a rear box light - better tires at time of purchase and of course better suspension unless you get the TRD.

Overrated
By tacmot

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When I initially bought this 2006 TRD Tacoma, I was initially blown away with the styling and capability. Did a lot of bragging for Yota and probably sold a few vehicles for them. Fast forward 2 years, "the honeymoon is over" and it time for real solid engineering and time tested design to take over but I feel that this is not the one. This truck has not left me on the side of the road but is giving "indications of potential unreliable conditions" i.e. the tranny works but feels like it has begun a death march. The engine runs but sounds like it could have some problems in the not so distant future. learned my lesson, you be smart, learn from my mistake, buy an F-150, ford I'm coming home.

styling, comfort, locking rear diff

My full size truck gets as good MPG as this vehicle. This makes me question the point of a smaller v-6 truck. A v- 8 in the Tacoma would probably get equal MPG and provide more needed low end torque. This is not a truck motor, leave the Camry motor in the Camry.

Loyal Tacoma Owner
By DAVE T

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Tacoma that I've owned. I've never been brand partial until my first Tacoma purchase. It's the only truck I'll have now. Needed something small enough for just myself commuting to/from work, but also something I could take the family out in as well. Double cab fits the bill perfectly. 18-24 MPG is decent for a 4X4 truck. Stylish looks are sporty, ride is quiet and comfortable as compared to my '02. Had an unfortunate accident in the '02 when a driver pulled out in front of me causing a serious crash. Truck held up well and rec'd only minor damage as opposed to the Chevy Malibu that got what it deserved! Toyota makes a solid truck!

Stereo system, sporty looks, storage space under/behind rear seats, composite bed with cleats, interior layout, nice ride.

Offer leather interior, brakes are weaker than the '02-beef 'em up a tad, larger gas tank, power seats.

Not the truck i hoped and payed for
By John H

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

As we all know Toyota Tacomas are very expensive in comparison to their domestic counterparts. You're hoping they give u at least 200k. Bought this truck brand new with 26 miles. I commute nearly 350 miles every 2 days. I changed both the oil and filter every 3,000 with Toyota's recommended oil, flushed the trans every 45k and had the rear end done every 50k. Cooling system at 65k and again at 118k. With 121,450 miles my 2.7L seized. Not what I expected. Toyota said at 120k it should be ready for an overhaul. Engine sludge. OK? I thought they lasted. My wife's 05 FX4 f150 has 188k on original drivetrain along with my 97 Jeep 4.0 with 294k on the original engine. Should have spent money elsewhere.

24 mpg on the highway... which wasn't all that hot... nice interior quality, decent factory composite bed.

Reliability, longevity... better engines, more rear seat room, better towing capability. A 2500 pound trailer nearly sacked my truck. Had better luck with my 85 Toyota pickup and 97 Tacoma SR5. Truck is not up to par. Domestics outlast them today.

paint!
By Mike

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Use the truck only for recreation; road trips to races, tailgating, a few cross-country road trips. I'm 6'5" and have plenty of legroom. Firm but comfortable ride, hiway mileage is acceptable. Have an automatic tranny and quickly learned to keep the truck in 4th in hill county. 5 speeds are nice for flatland mileage but it constantly shifts between 4th and 5th in hilly country. Only major complaint is that the paint is junk. "Impulse red" looks great but it chips if you look at it wrong. I've seen this complaint from other reviewers so I'm far from alone. Never, ever had a vehicle that chipped so easily. If it weren't for this I'd rate the truck as far and away the best in class.

Mechanical build quality, interior room, performance, ride, appearance.

Toyota needs to improve the quality of the paint big time. I love the truck but spend a lot of time with touch-up paint. I don't drive the truck off-road nor use it for commercial purposes. No excuse for the paint chipping so easily.