2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews 6

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2006 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Keith's Opinion
By Keith Hamel

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Fun truck. Good 4 passenger pickup. 4.0 v6 lots of power. California freeway driver here. Was looking for a Tundra, not needed. Live in No. Calif. Ran to Las Vegas last week.. very, very nice.

Favorite Features

Good power for v6. Roomy for a "small truck". Lots of desert climate where I drive. Nice cold a/c.

Suggested Improvements

Body style a little lacking, specifically grille and hood. Other than that it's a nice truck.

TRD Tacoma Double Cab SB
By NJNUT

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several trucks and this is by far the best I owned. I have driven it long on long trips and it is comfortable to drive. The truck feels very solid on the road, much more car like than the past without being a car. I like trucks and didn't want to own a car. The 4 door models give quite a bit of leg room not at all like the older double cabs. Toyota's build quality is the bench mark of the industry. The 4.0 liter V-6 is like a n8 with better gas ratings. 4X4 TRD package is nice and the 4x4 is one of the best I owned. Driving through the tough beach sand is easy.

Favorite Features

Composite bed, tie down rails, 4x4, TRD package, build quality, ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that bothers me is that the air vents don't adjust high enough and they hit your hands on the steering wheel. The rail system could be a bit nicer. After that I can't see the need for improvement.

Logical Opinion - Tall Man
By EAHinsch

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Tacoma is my fourth Toyota, and second Tacoma (1999). This truck is substantially larger than the previous models and it is wonderful. I am 6'6", 290 lbs and I fit in the vehicle with plenty of room. I do enjoy the interior and exterior styling and feel it gets decent gas mileage for a truck that is built to be taken off-road. If you are looking for fuel efficiency, I don't know why you would be looking for a 4WD truck. I have 8,800 miles on my Taco and it has not had any problems. The truck has plenty of power when you need it and drives like a truck, which I enjoy. If you want a "car-like" ride, I recommend a 4Runner which I own as well or a Highlander. This is a man's truck!

Favorite Features

Stocky exterior styling, BF Goodrich tires, 110V Outlet in Bed, firm seats, storage in the doors and seats, torque and power.

Suggested Improvements

Auxilliary input for the iPod, the auto up/down for the driver window, power seats, navigation, sunroof, and maybe a full retracting rear window. Minor suggestions. Overall a wonderful truck! Highly recommended!

Love Love Relationship
By patientmantra72

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Tacoma is an all around awsome truck. After driving a huge Chevy Tahoe for years, mileage is definitely much better with the tacoma, and its 4x abilities are awesome. Very solid truck right off the lot.

Favorite Features

Suspension package with the bilstien shocks was a wise choice. Great performance.

TRD Sport
By skysharks4

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The styling is awesome and aggressive. I like the whole mid-size truck concept. The ride is a little stiff but thatís the way a truck should feel.

Favorite Features

Aggressive design and 6 disc in-dash CD player with steering mounted controls.

Suggested Improvements

Install clips to hold the seatbelts from falling under the the rear seat when raised.

Not Surprisingly Surprising
By Nerl

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned Toyota trucks in the past and will only buy Toyota. This truck has great power with the VVT-I engine. The new 5 speed tranny works great. I have over 6000 miles on my truck. We use it as our family vehicle so I had leather installed and it really made this truck a fine piece of machinery. The ride is surprisingly smooth and quiet. I get a combined driving mpg of 19. I am happy with that. I know 22 mpg will be no problem on a trip. I have experienced no axle wrap on this truck. I am not surprised by how good this truck really is because I didn't just stumble upon Toyota. I want a return for my hard earned money and Toyota delivers with its durability, reliability and residual value.

Favorite Features

6 disc in-dash changer, front-top location of oil filter, washer fluid resevoir over fender not in it, sealed 5 speed transmission, composite bed, rail and tie-down cleats, push on-off emergency brake pedal, tire pressure sensors. Knowing this truck will not depreciate like other makes.

Suggested Improvements

Radio needs to be more visible during daytime. Make the center console hinge from the back instead of psgr. side. Really hard to balance after market wheels and find ones that clear the brake calipers. Overhead compartments are like an oven in the Texas heat. Maybe more insulation needed.

Very nice Truck
By Carlos

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought it a week ago, but I can already tell that this truck is gonna be with me for the long run. It drives great, very smooth everywhere. Compared to the ride quality of my brother's 02 tacoma trd, this truck feels much much better. Toyota has seemed to perfect the suspension, its soft yet very solid when needed. The power is great, and fuel economy is ok. The interior is by far the best in a truck, kind of like being in a semi luxury vehicle. Engine layout is outstanding for those of you that like to change the oil yourself. If you are looking for a midsize truck, this is a no brainer, get the tacoma, you wont regret it.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, suspension, engine design, power, interior & exterior looks, fit and finish, solid feel on and off road.

Suggested Improvements

iPod connection and nothing else.

So Happy I Got The Toyota
By mvought

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First I have to say that this is the second Toyota truck Iíve had, but the first was a '93 reg cab. This truck is a different animal all together. To start with, this beauty is as comfortable and nice inside as a luxury car. Soft seats hug you, smart gauges and dash layout are both functional and well thought out. From the outside itís as inspiring. A much larger truck than my '93. Itís nearly as large as the full size Chevy out in my parking lot. The v6 is quick, very quick. Handles like a dream. This truck just plain rocks. Just a great idea made into a great truck.

Favorite Features

Where do I start with my favorite features, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, 6 speaker stereo with 6 disc in dash changer, upholstery, stadium seating, high stance.

Suggested Improvements

I suppose the only thing I would like in this truck is maybe more power points. There are only two, and one is a lighter.

jpitre1242
By jpitre1242

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I cannot believe I have not turned to Toyota before now. For some reason Toyota has gotten it right. I feel like the driver comes first in design, not the mechanic. This is a fun truck. I don't feel like I'm trying to be the "Dad" type of guy. Just a young family man being smart about fuel economy and enjoying the sporty drive. It's all good to me!

Favorite Features

The look, the gas mileage, the performance, the look.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother transmission shifting (just a little smoother). But the truck has power, you can't stop that.

A great truck!
By ETAYLOR

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 98 f-150 for a 06 Tacoma with the TRD package.I spent 6 months pricing and researching various trucks before chosing the tacoma. I have been impressed with this truck from the first test dive I took. The ride is great, it feels like a mid-size sedan, very smooth on the freeway with little outside noise. The interior finish is impressive, everything is well laid out,I love the red gauges and the interior storage.I can see myself in this truck for the next 5-10 years!

Favorite Features

V-6 smoothness, interior layout, rear- seat storage (underneath and behind) bed layout (including power adapter).

Suggested Improvements

mp3 input for sound system