Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Hell Yeah!!
By J. Hawkins

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned everything from Expeditions to Volvos and I am more pleased with this than any other. The ride is great and at 6'4" and 300 lbs I am plenty comfortable. Even the 4x2 handles very well off road and can get more places than larger 4x4s. Great for traveling. I have been from GA to WV, NY, and Key West with friends over summer vacation and we were all comfy. Costs about $50 a tank to fill and I get about 365 miles to a tank. One heck of a bang for your buck!! I will be buying another very soon.

Ride quality, interior appointments, and exterior styling.

Why doesn't the back window drop like the Tundra? That'd be great. Leather should be an affordable option.

I've always been a car guy
By oldcarguy

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab X-Runner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been a car guy all my life. Never had much interest in a truck. I'm convinced that some car guys at Toyota got together and decided to make a truck for car guys. I've never had as many compliments about any car I've owned, including a 91 Vette. I like the ride and feel of the truck and the handling is off the charts for a factory truck with a warranty. I average about 22-24 mpg and really enjoy my time behind the wheel. Granted, it's not an off road machine, but I don't need it to, either. In a nutshell, I enjoy leaving behind full size V8 trucks that cost thousands more, and even leaving behind V6 Mustangs and Camaros on the mountain roads around my home. Thanks Toyota!

The exterior styling is great and really turns heads. People are always telling me they love it and that they've never seen one quite like it. The handling is great and the power is always there when you want some.

Supercharge the 4.0 V6.

Good reliable lightweight hauler
By Alex

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My '92 truck was maintenance free for 175,000 miles except for a radiator replacement. My '06 is nice to drive and has so far been reliable with 30,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my clutch squeaking, not a maintenance issue, but horribly annoying all the same. I will be taking it in again for another clutch repair. It is still under warranty. The annoying part is that I will have to deal with this again in the future when it is not under warranty. The 4 cylinder manual is peppy and responsive. I like the good gas mileage for a truck this size. Watch out for the sliding rear window. I accidentally broke mine and it was going to cost over $800 to replace, a major Toyota ripoff. Mine now has plexiglass, a total repair cost of $15.

Comfortable and economical. I average 21 mpg in mostly city-short trip driving.

Craig's truck
By Craig

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This truck has all the power you will need. The brakes are spongy and the clutch takes getting used to. Otherwise, this truck is typical Toyota quality.

Power, very quiet.

Redesign the clutch. Spread the gear ratios out a bit. 6th gear should be at least 10% higher. Brakes seem funky.

Why did I buy a Dodge first?
By GI Tiger

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great, fun, truck, the V6 power plant is just right for this vehicle. I'm glad I bought all the extras (TRD, Prerunner, SR5) with the off road package. This truck does do some weird things though, don't drive too fast in windy conditions, it likes to nose plow, controlling it sometimes is a job in itself. It doesn't drive well on uneven roads at times.

Styling, the racing blue is cool, decals are fun too. Sound system is great (6 speakers), gives the cab more than enough volume to drowned out any traffic. Power plant (V6) more than you need, unless you're towing something. Dashboard and cab, best I've seen!

Move the rearview morror from the middle of the windscreen, lots of blind spots, improve the back of the access cab seating.