2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Why Did I Wait?
By Kelshm on 11/05/06 11:54 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am your typical "Truck Guy". I have loved the small 4X4 pickup since Datsun had them out in the early 80's. I have never owned one though, until this one. I don't know why I waited so long. In my job I drive many vehicles and once I drove the '06 Tacoma, I knew I was home. I haven't driven a smoother more comfortable pickup of this size ever. I also have a disability that causes me to suffer a great deal of pain when driving most vehicles. I don't experience any pain when driving my Tacoma. If everyone built a vehicle this solid and reliable, I would be out of work. There is a reason that a used Tacoma sells at or near its' original selling price.

2006 tacoma
By jim hecker on 10/16/06 18:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Performance is great, but has vibration and harmonic hum starting at about 54 mph. Has been there since new, havent taken back to dealer yet. Also, 2 of the wheel center caps will not fit straight, are crooked. These are the only problems so far.

I Waited 20 years for this truck
By Kelshm on 10/11/06 12:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have wanted a Tacoma forever. I never seemed to be able to find one when it was time to trade however. This time I just went all out and bought a new one. I should have done this before! This truck is phenomenal! I have never felt so secure in a vehicle in my life!

2006 Prerunner, V6, Access cab, 5A
By Lou on 10/10/06 04:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Highway and in town driving produces same MPG, around 20. No problems in 8,550 miles. Nice around town truck with ample power. Not suited for long trips or in windy conditions. Draws favorable comments and has high resale value. Very well could be best mid size truck on the market.

No Brainer --
By MTB on 09/19/06 11:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Best mid sized truck out there. Fit and finish are top-shelf-- best interior quality of any truck out there. Good power and excellent, though firm, ride. At least as comfortable as my 2002 Maxima. I looked at used Tacomas to save a little cash, but they seem to hold their value so well it made sense to just get a new one. Also considered Ridgeline and Xterra. Ridgeline was very nice, but pricier. Xterra was less expensive, but not as comfortable or as well done inside- plus I think I'll get more than the price difference back via resale value with Toyota. Frontier back seat was far less comfortable, thus eliminating it from consideration.

Avoid Toyota!!
By Jim on 09/18/06 02:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Shifting shudder and large clunk when stopping and starting "just part of the design" per Toyota. See http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/66233-toyota-addresses-tacoma-transmission/ for other reports. Toyota quality and customer service terrible! Also, according to Toyota, it is acceptable for their dealers to put used tires on a new truck when the dealer is unable to fix another customer's tire balance problem. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of buying a Toyota!! You will not get what you pay for -- you'll only hear that your problems are "design features".

SUV in truck body...
By Stavro on 09/09/06 16:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After spending endless hours on Edmunds, I decided to pull the trigger. Traded a 01 BMW X5 with 52K miles and 11 pages of maintenance records. What a relief! The Tacoma's interior is big, got the 4x2 sport pack with JBL audio and tow. If you don't need 4x4 why haul the extra weight around? First tank of gas gave me 19 mpg (87 RON per manual)combined. Feels solid, seats have good support, plenty of space in the rear, good visibility, suspension is on the spot, not too soft, not too hard, gearbox is smooth (A/T) as far as performance, I only have 220 miles but I can tell you this: 65mph with 1450 rpm is sweet!

Two nagging issues
By Bamboo on 09/06/06 21:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truck looks awesome, the fit and finish is perfect, and for a 2.7L 4 cylinder it has plenty of get up and go. Gas mileage has been on average about 19 MPG combined. My only two complaints; between 55 - 65 MPH there's a noticable steering wheel flutter which occurs intermittantly. When using the A/C the power loss on the engine is agonizing. Enough that you have to gear down to go up any hills you would normally not have to down shift for.

Tacoma
By Dennis Dewald on 09/03/06 17:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have had for 2 months so far so good. I like the gas mileage. It seems to perform well.

Peppy performance & excellent fuel economy
By michael bryan on 09/01/06 13:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The fuel economy has been pleasant surprise avg. 27 mpg once got 27.76 over 400 miles mixed driving never less than 25.23. The larger than avg. 2.7L 4 cyl has plenty of low end torque with the manual trans. This trucks interior is very comfortable. The truck feels very safe and stable at high interstate speeds. I spend most of my driving on public roads where this truck feels stable and manuverable, not tippy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.