Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

06 Tacoma
By dws246

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought the truck I loved it, it was great and just what I wanted. However after about 5k I started to get a bad clutch chatter like you are about to stall only worse. I brought that to the dealer's attention, said it was normal. I have been driving stick shift for a while and that is not normal, even after giving it lots of gas the chatter would still happen. The worst part of the whole thing is that at 26k the clutch blew, I had to have it towed to the dealer where they said it was not covered by the warranty and I would have to pay $1400 to fix it-everything was bad in the clutch,even the springs were broken which they said was because I was a bad driver.

It is comfortable, but I would not recommend this truck because of its clutch and power train issues which toyota knows about and does nothing about it. Buying a new truck with a warranty you don't think you will be paying repair costs but with this truck you will be after only 1 year.

The clutch!

No Confidence!
By lucyb

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my 2006 Tacoma for about 18000 miles. It was a great truck until it decided to accelerate while my foot was on the brake pulling into my garage. Fortunately only the truck was damaged and my house was spared. I took the truck to the dealer to check over for the cause of the acceleration. Couldn't find a problem. Toyota regional also couldn't find a problem. I repaired the damage on mine and traded it immediately. I would never feel safe in the Tacoma again. Be careful if you are considering the Tacoma!!

Reliable, comfortable, good looking truck.

Fix the random acceleration problem. This is a safety issue! It's also a very expensive problem to the owner.

Happy with it
By Tacomaowner

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am more than satisfied with the ownership experience, from the performance, features, and low maintenance to the positive comments I get from others about the truck. I only wish I had specified the "outside temp / compass" feature and I also wish the radio had a 'aux" input for iPod and XM radio input.

None

Best Truck Ever!
By healthylaugh

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Toyota in over 20 years - they are so well-built, that I haven't needed to shop much! This is a beautiful truck and I love how fast and powerful it is when you need the extra merging power/get up and go. I haven't had one stitch of trouble with it and not a single factory defect, either. My Prius' gas mileage is missed, but I really needed a truck, so the Tacoma was the natural choice.

Build quality. Engine: excellent power w/ reasonable fuel economy. Integrated bed liner: durable and practical, saves weight and alleviates the need for aftermarket application. Bucket seats: great bolster & comfy.

Make sure the rest of the truck buying public gets educated about the quality/value of this vehicle!

Love that Tacoma!
By Tracker

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car is very well built, fun to drive and easy to maintain. I like the bed material (carbon fiber?) that is stronger than steel, but rust proof. I like the oil filter mounted on top of the engine, which is easy to change. It is so easy, I am changing my own oil for the first time in my life. My MPG is over 20MPG, reaching 24 on some highway trips, but I do drive with minimal gas consumption in mind. I like the rear seat fold-downs for carrying capacity. The interior is car-like, not truck-like. The ride is a bit stiff, but it is a truck! You need a bed cover, a bed pad so stuff doesn't slide, and a ramp, and you are set to go! No problems after 9K miles. So far, so good!

Car-like interior engineering, oil filter on top bed, carbon fiber - don't need a liner. Movable tie downs on truck bed. Engineering - great MPG.

Exterior is a bit plain. Considering pin striping.