2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
I'd buy another tomorrow...!!
By John Dick on 01/30/07 17:44 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Best vehicle I've ever owned. Only 16000 Kms, but absolutely fantastic so far.. No problems. Great truck man...!!

Truck of the Century
By Jordan on 01/30/07 16:33 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck last summer and have loved my decision to do so ever since. I have the TRD sport package which gives the truck a mean, and manly look. The truck is loaded with power and will basically do anything you ask of it. Features are great and there are several different styles to suit your personal needs. These trucks are built to last and you just cannot wear these babies out. I previously owned a 2001 Tacoma and the increase in size, durability and power is amazing. It's almost like Toyota created a completely different model and assigned the name Tacoma to it. Again, if you're contemplating buying this truck, debate no longer. This is sure to be the truck for you!

Not very satisfied
By Scott C. on 12/19/06 11:00 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall probably the best truck in its class but for a $30K truck I would expect more standard features such as an illuminated glove box, illuminated console, illuminated sun visor mirrors, cargo bed light (the Tundra has it), heated mirrors, outside temp. and compass display (only available on sport or off road models). The transmission is extremely shifty and in my opinion rough. It often feels like I got rear ended when coming to a stop. My 2004 Jeep with 180K miles shifted much more smoothly. The stock stereo system is absolutely terrible. Virtually no highs, muffled lows and no midrange adjustment. Stereo in my 2000 4 Runner is 5 times better. Again, I would expect more at this pricepoint.

Almost perfect. I'd buy it again.
By Steve in Alabama on 12/05/06 11:08 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine is PreRunner V6 Quad Cab Longbed. The rails in the bed are perfect for an Extang Black Max Tonneau. Plenty of room and comfort for family and big dog on trip. Longbed perfect for luggage to ladders to tree limbs going to the dump. Best mileage is 23 hwy, but driving fast loaded can get it to 18. No problems of any kind after one year and 15000 miles. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but the LB has a Suburban size wheelbase, and therefore a large turning radius, which makes small spaces tight. Seating is comfortable on long trips and provides good driver support. I'm 6'1" and 190. Vision all around is good. Unless you deal with small parking spaces every day, buy the longbed.

Excellent truck, on and off road
By AZDriver on 11/27/06 20:13 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Tacoma for a year and half and this truck is great! The truck is comfortable, spacious, and has excellent power. I use the truck to take me on my trips camping, snowboarding, fishing, and many other adventures and this truck seems to handle them all with ease. It also has a great ride on the road.

Solid truck
By rcg on 11/09/06 21:07 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Truck gives feel of a larger truck, plenty of room. V6 extremely strong; it acts like it's ready to jump upon request. TRD package gives truck nice stiff ride; it handles curves and bumpy roads nicely. Only had it a few weeks and I feel I made a good decision to purchase. All the truck you'll ever need for occasional hunting trips or to haul your gear.

Steering wheel shakes
By 06TxTaco on 10/28/06 14:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall a great truck, good power and very comfortable truck. My truck has a shake or shimmy in the steering wheel that the dealer can't seem to fix after several attempts, they even let me drive a new 07 off the lot and it had the same problem. The truck rides fairly smoothly but the steering wheel shake between 55 and 70 MPH is extremely annoying. Other than that, I love this truck, beautiful styling, plenty of power, comfort, good gas mileage for a truck. I get between 20 and 22 MPG depending on how my right foot feels that day, combined city/highway driving.

Tacoma - all the way
By Bob on 10/13/06 16:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle now for almost 3 months. Love it to death. Had a slight mishap in an off-road extravaganza and messed my rim up. What should have been a bent control and tie rods ended up with just a mere alignment jar. Amazing vehicle inside and out. I get comments from people who drive the F150,250, Dodge 1500, 2500, and Chevy seirra, they all like the comfort of the front seats. Now let me talk about performance, the off-road package is the way to go. Bilstein shocks, and a built in engine braker in the transmission. Great control. Going around bends, this vehicle leans less then my previous 2WD tacoma that was base height, not nearly as high as this. WELL BUILT!

The best I have found
By Bill on 10/11/06 12:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

After having a '82 SR5 for 260,000 miles with no real problem I was looking for a new vehicle to replace it as there wasn't enough room for the family. I looked atother trucks and setled on the Tacoma 4 dr V6. Unbelivable power and a turning radius better than my old SR5. It also is the most comfortable ride for long distances I have ever driven. I do not recomend lightly, this truck is perfect.

Good but not perfect...
By m9431 on 10/09/06 17:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota Truck and one selected after much comparison. For me the size fits my needs, and I'm impressed by the interior design. The V6 is impressive, but not overly fuel efficient compared to Chevy's great V8s. Chassis strength is much improved, handling is good. As others have noted in user forums, the rear suspension is weak, mine bottoming out after I added a 150lb. cap. I had to have my srpings rebuilt independently at my cost, not covered under warranty. Additionally, the 5-speed automatic transmission shifts very poorly, slow to make a decision and often like it doesn't know what gear it should be in! Hopefully Toyota will release new software to cure this problem.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.