Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

A good buy
By Todd

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck brand new with 18 miles on the odometer. It now has over 45,000 miles and I still love it. Decent gas mileage for a truck, plenty of power, great offroad capability with the 4WD model, and awesome styling. The only gripe I have is why Toyota didn't include a locking tailgate. Other than that I love the Tacoma, and I get lots of compliments on it too. Will definitely buy another Toyota in the future.

Favorite Features

Interior space, towing ability, stylish look. Fun to drive too.

Suggested Improvements

Lockable tailgate, locking fuel door.

Worth Every Penny
By Parrothead

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Toyota PreRunner for over 2 yrs now and I have no regrets about purchasing this truck. It has met or exceeded my expectations, and is far superior in quality than the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge products that I have owned. My only complaint is the angulation of the center air vent on the driver's side; it blows air directly on the driver even when an attempt is made to angle it toward the rear cab. Domestic truck manufacturers have a long way to go to meet the quality and dependability of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Air vent angulation.

What a great truck!
By adpinc

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I turned in a leased 2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71. I had discovered that I really didn't need a full sized truck, and with gas prices where they are, I decided to buy a compact pick-up. I needed to have 4x4 and a double-cab design for seating for 4. I wanted reliability, but most importantly higher gas mileage. I quickly discovered that the Tacoma topped the list as far as meeting these minimum requirements. It has the best gas mileage in its class, very comfortable ride, and with the SR5 package, more than enough standard creature comforts. I have never owned a Toyota before, always opting for Hondas, but I have to tell you, I now understand "Toyota loyalty." What a great buy!

Favorite Features

For readers who are car drivers, getting 17-20 mpg probably sounds terrible. But for those who know trucks, it's huge!! No one is coming close to this mileage in this class of vehicle with a 4.0L engine and 4x4 tranny. I'm delighted after running my Chevy Av at 13-14 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats with SR5 package. Lockable tailgate standard. More insulation in the roof liner (road noise is great; but rain noise is loud, if you can believe it!). Power radio antenna. Engine option around 3.5L would be great w/ 4x4.

Love/Hate relationship
By pamela

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned Toyotas and I loved my last two Tacoma trucks so much I went for the new 2006. I loved the room of a four door and I have a 6'6 son who needed to fit into it with his size 18 shoe. The long bed was a must because I ride bikes and wanted to throw them in the back. I wanted a navigation system and bluetooth but they were not avaliable. The hate part... at almost $5 a gallon, I put in $85 at every fill up! It is killing me! The gas mileage is the worst, 340 miles for every $85 and rising. Toyota needs to make a fuel efficent truck soon! Please!

Favorite Features

Truck feels solid, roomy for tall people, long bed with tiedowns, fold down seats, lots of cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel efficency, GPS, bluetooth.

Great Truck
By Spacemark

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

49,000 in 21 months. No issues, just a piece of rubber moulding around the door replaced. I have the long-bed, 4X4 with towing package.

Favorite Features

Ride, radio, location of features.

Suggested Improvements

Better front seats.