Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

paint!
By Mike

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Use the truck only for recreation; road trips to races, tailgating, a few cross-country road trips. I'm 6'5" and have plenty of legroom. Firm but comfortable ride, hiway mileage is acceptable. Have an automatic tranny and quickly learned to keep the truck in 4th in hill county. 5 speeds are nice for flatland mileage but it constantly shifts between 4th and 5th in hilly country. Only major complaint is that the paint is junk. "Impulse red" looks great but it chips if you look at it wrong. I've seen this complaint from other reviewers so I'm far from alone. Never, ever had a vehicle that chipped so easily. If it weren't for this I'd rate the truck as far and away the best in class.

Mechanical build quality, interior room, performance, ride, appearance.

Toyota needs to improve the quality of the paint big time. I love the truck but spend a lot of time with touch-up paint. I don't drive the truck off-road nor use it for commercial purposes. No excuse for the paint chipping so easily.

2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
By SR5

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It took a while to get used to the truck's dimensions. Steering is very responsive. Steering seemed quite free on freeway, like truck wasn't LOCKED into lane. Ride is smooth, great shocks. Brakes are light, not sensitive. Quite a bit of outside noise even with windows up. Can be difficult at times to see cars in blindspots. Great on rough or dirt-roads. Went deep into the forest, made my own road. Like I listed above, 86,000 miles on an '06 Tacoma. I'm on the same brakes, plugs, clutch, and feel I can reach 100,000 b4 any changes. Needed new set of tires at 60k and a wheel alignment. Got rear ended right rear corner, pretty hard, things did not shatter just bent (STRONG) no frame damage.

Abundance of cupholders. Bed railings very useful. Bed compartments. Storage under the flip down rear seats. Bed has bolted down liner. Auto-shut off lights when key removed & driver opens door. Gotta love its 9 cupholders. clutchless start option. Deep center console. Good sound & bass.

Make it easier to see blindspots. Reverse camera would help. Can't really think of more things. This is a truck. It maintained more of what a truck is, rather than becoming some gadget savvy vehicle with no muscle.

Happy Overall
By Central Connecticut

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck (used) to replace a well-worn full size pickup. It was my hope to buy a smaller truck, and still enjoy the higher ride, spacious cabin, and load-carrying capacity of my old truck, but with better fuel economy. I'm very satisfied on the first two points, but less so on the load-carrying and fuel economy. When this truck is loaded to capacity, the rear springs are almost bottomed out. And the fuel economy is only slightly better than a full size truck. Overall, though, I'm quite happy. It's handling is stiff and glued to the road, like a sports car, but comfortable on long trips. And even for a tall person, the seating and controls are very satisfactory.

Nimble handling and competent performance on and off road. Cabin accommodations are comfortable and well thought out. The Toyota brand has a superb reputation for reliability.

Heated outside mirrors, a bed light and additional gauges would be appreciated. If higher load capacities were offered as an option, Tacomas could compete better against full sized trucks.

Get The "Platinum" Warranty
By Josh

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and it wasn't covered by the warranty. They wanted $1100 to fix it, telling me the "Gold" warranty doesn't cover that, only the "Platinum". I took the unit apart and fixed it myself in about ten minutes. Seems like it goes through a lot of batteries too, four in 2 1/2 yrs.

Locking rear differential is nice, got me out of a couple of tight spots. Tie downs in the bed are a God send. I have yet to find a load too awkward to tie down.

Fix the jerk that you get when you come to a stop. Sound system could use some work. At least include an iPod/MP3 jack, I ended up dumping $1000 into a sound system and it made a world of difference. Toyota should cover ALL electronic components for the life of your warranty, not just some.

Solid ride
By HeywoodJablome

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I can't believe people still consider the Tacoma a "small" truck. This thing grew massively on its last re-design. It is not the same Toyota truck I learned to drive on in 1986. I am a heavyweight myself, and find the truck very accommodating. The interior looks good, great exterior styling, and the bed with all of its features is the best design out there. The economy of the engine is great too.

Bed with integrated rail and tie down system. Economy of the 4-banger. Plenty of room for storage in the Access Cab.

This is a heavy truck, so the performance of the 4 cyl is lacking. Roll up windows... come on Toyota, it is 2006. Power windows, locks, and keyless entry should be standard on every vehicle you make.