2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews 4

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Oh What a Feeling!
By TNRiverjet on 02/06/09 18:46 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck as a demo with 8K miles. I now have 82K plus in about two years and it is still ticking strong. I do find the seats uncomfortable for long road trips, but every other part of interior design and layout is perfect. Storage is excellent. I had the rear leaf TSB performed to replace the original springs. The new 4 leaf springs handle weight much better than stock. I use Michelin LTX AT tires. This truck rides and drives like a car! It is sporty, powerful, nimble. It is also easy to maneuver in parking lots/garages and around town. Service has been minimum/standard and I have had no warranty issues. The transmission seems to seek gears esp. around 40 mph.

2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
By SR5 on 12/24/08 13:59 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It took a while to get used to the truck's dimensions. Steering is very responsive. Steering seemed quite free on freeway, like truck wasn't LOCKED into lane. Ride is smooth, great shocks. Brakes are light, not sensitive. Quite a bit of outside noise even with windows up. Can be difficult at times to see cars in blindspots. Great on rough or dirt-roads. Went deep into the forest, made my own road. Like I listed above, 86,000 miles on an '06 Tacoma. I'm on the same brakes, plugs, clutch, and feel I can reach 100,000 b4 any changes. Needed new set of tires at 60k and a wheel alignment. Got rear ended right rear corner, pretty hard, things did not shatter just bent (STRONG) no frame damage.

Should not have to get special Warranty
By otherland on 11/26/08 16:55 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and the airbag sensor lights stayed on was covered by warranty do not think this should be happening to a new truck. Have not had time to find out how much the Compass/temp gauge is going to cost. But as a rule it runs a lot better than the other truck I owned

Don't buy on brand alone.
By Mike Noble on 10/29/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 28,000 miles with my 2006 Tacoma 2WD, manual trans, the overall experience has been less than I expected. The power of the 2.7L four is marginal even in a vehicle this light. 158 horses out of 2.7L is pretty pitiful today considering it has variable valve timing. The 5-speed trans is poorly geared, and not matched to the engine's power curve. The 3:31 rear gears makes 5th gear unusable. Overall, I wouldn't buy it again. It will probably go 200,000 miles, but I'll never make it! Don't consider buying it because it's a Toyota!

Happy Overall
By Central Connecticut on 10/24/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck (used) to replace a well-worn full size pickup. It was my hope to buy a smaller truck, and still enjoy the higher ride, spacious cabin, and load-carrying capacity of my old truck, but with better fuel economy. I'm very satisfied on the first two points, but less so on the load-carrying and fuel economy. When this truck is loaded to capacity, the rear springs are almost bottomed out. And the fuel economy is only slightly better than a full size truck. Overall, though, I'm quite happy. It's handling is stiff and glued to the road, like a sports car, but comfortable on long trips. And even for a tall person, the seating and controls are very satisfactory.

A good buy
By Todd on 10/12/08 19:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck brand new with 18 miles on the odometer. It now has over 45,000 miles and I still love it. Decent gas mileage for a truck, plenty of power, great offroad capability with the 4WD model, and awesome styling. The only gripe I have is why Toyota didn't include a locking tailgate. Other than that I love the Tacoma, and I get lots of compliments on it too. Will definitely buy another Toyota in the future.

Get The "Platinum" Warranty
By Josh on 09/29/08 11:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and it wasn't covered by the warranty. They wanted $1100 to fix it, telling me the "Gold" warranty doesn't cover that, only the "Platinum". I took the unit apart and fixed it myself in about ten minutes. Seems like it goes through a lot of batteries too, four in 2 1/2 yrs.

Worth Every Penny
By Parrothead on 09/29/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Toyota PreRunner for over 2 yrs now and I have no regrets about purchasing this truck. It has met or exceeded my expectations, and is far superior in quality than the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge products that I have owned. My only complaint is the angulation of the center air vent on the driver's side; it blows air directly on the driver even when an attempt is made to angle it toward the rear cab. Domestic truck manufacturers have a long way to go to meet the quality and dependability of this vehicle.

What a great truck!
By adpinc on 08/20/08 19:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I turned in a leased 2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71. I had discovered that I really didn't need a full sized truck, and with gas prices where they are, I decided to buy a compact pick-up. I needed to have 4x4 and a double-cab design for seating for 4. I wanted reliability, but most importantly higher gas mileage. I quickly discovered that the Tacoma topped the list as far as meeting these minimum requirements. It has the best gas mileage in its class, very comfortable ride, and with the SR5 package, more than enough standard creature comforts. I have never owned a Toyota before, always opting for Hondas, but I have to tell you, I now understand "Toyota loyalty." What a great buy!

Solid ride
By HeywoodJablome on 07/09/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I can't believe people still consider the Tacoma a "small" truck. This thing grew massively on its last re-design. It is not the same Toyota truck I learned to drive on in 1986. I am a heavyweight myself, and find the truck very accommodating. The interior looks good, great exterior styling, and the bed with all of its features is the best design out there. The economy of the engine is great too.