Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Transmission Problems
By Gino64

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fell in love with the tacoma design and had to buy one. I give it low marks on performance because I'm having problems with the automatic transmission. The truck vibrates at low speeds and can't seem to find the low gears. Took it to the dealer and was told that it was normal. The problem still persists and I will contact the dealer and Toyota.

Favorite Features

I like the cab design and bed liner.

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission problems.

Overrated
By tacmot

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When I initially bought this 2006 TRD Tacoma, I was initially blown away with the styling and capability. Did a lot of bragging for Yota and probably sold a few vehicles for them. Fast forward 2 years, "the honeymoon is over" and it time for real solid engineering and time tested design to take over but I feel that this is not the one. This truck has not left me on the side of the road but is giving "indications of potential unreliable conditions" i.e. the tranny works but feels like it has begun a death march. The engine runs but sounds like it could have some problems in the not so distant future. learned my lesson, you be smart, learn from my mistake, buy an F-150, ford I'm coming home.

Favorite Features

styling, comfort, locking rear diff

Suggested Improvements

My full size truck gets as good MPG as this vehicle. This makes me question the point of a smaller v-6 truck. A v- 8 in the Tacoma would probably get equal MPG and provide more needed low end torque. This is not a truck motor, leave the Camry motor in the Camry.

Loyal Tacoma Owner
By DAVE T

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Tacoma that I've owned. I've never been brand partial until my first Tacoma purchase. It's the only truck I'll have now. Needed something small enough for just myself commuting to/from work, but also something I could take the family out in as well. Double cab fits the bill perfectly. 18-24 MPG is decent for a 4X4 truck. Stylish looks are sporty, ride is quiet and comfortable as compared to my '02. Had an unfortunate accident in the '02 when a driver pulled out in front of me causing a serious crash. Truck held up well and rec'd only minor damage as opposed to the Chevy Malibu that got what it deserved! Toyota makes a solid truck!

Favorite Features

Stereo system, sporty looks, storage space under/behind rear seats, composite bed with cleats, interior layout, nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

Offer leather interior, brakes are weaker than the '02-beef 'em up a tad, larger gas tank, power seats.

Oh What a Feeling!
By TNRiverjet

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck as a demo with 8K miles. I now have 82K plus in about two years and it is still ticking strong. I do find the seats uncomfortable for long road trips, but every other part of interior design and layout is perfect. Storage is excellent. I had the rear leaf TSB performed to replace the original springs. The new 4 leaf springs handle weight much better than stock. I use Michelin LTX AT tires. This truck rides and drives like a car! It is sporty, powerful, nimble. It is also easy to maneuver in parking lots/garages and around town. Service has been minimum/standard and I have had no warranty issues. The transmission seems to seek gears esp. around 40 mph.

Favorite Features

110v power outlet in bed. Bed tiedowns. composite bed, crew cab, storage behind rear seats. tow package is worth the $$ with an extremely stout 2" receiver hitch. Fuel mileage (as recorded per every fillup) is avg. 20-21 over 82K mi.

Suggested Improvements

bluetooth, sunroof, sliding rear window like fullsize Tundra, more weight carrying capacity, more bulletproof transmission, locking tailgate

Should not have to get special Warranty
By otherland

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and the airbag sensor lights stayed on was covered by warranty do not think this should be happening to a new truck. Have not had time to find out how much the Compass/temp gauge is going to cost. But as a rule it runs a lot better than the other truck I owned

Favorite Features

The body style it really has a lot of class

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the little stuff like sensor lights, compass and gauges and the sound system. I purchased all the options on this truck these little things should not go out for the price it cost. Please check the braking system