2006 Tacoma 4cyl. Auto Access Cab SR5
By Ed on
2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)
The four cyl. automatic has a tougher go of it in the Texas hills. Here on the coast it's a good deal. It will consistently do 28 mpg on the highway at 63mph speed. Do not go to the larger wheels/tires or you will lose 2 mpg fuel economy. The optional shift or automatic (2nd, 3rd or drive only) is fun to use. I would recommend the 5 spd. manual if you want to tow with the four cyl. This long bed with the access cab can haul a lot. The short second seat is perfect for your gear, tools, groceries, or a small animal carrier. As usual for Toyota, this truck is absolutely dependable (80,500 miles in less than 3 years, w/no issues).
Favorite Features
Convenient console storage, cup holders, storage compartments in bed, tie off rails and lock devices for bed are all good. I like the ease of shift from 2nd, to 3rd to drive as required with the auto tran. The automatic tire air pressure monitor is a great help.
Suggested Improvements
A little stronger 4cyl would help this truck take the hills better on cruise and still allow the good gas mileage. I was disappointed that it did not have a locking gas cap with port accessible only from latch inside cab. The SUVs have the inside latch feature at least.
By poolman52
on 12/18/11 09:53 AM (PST)

I have 2006 Tacoma Access Cab 4 cyl. Bought this one new. I had not bought a new one for 21 years. Disappointed in dealer, but not the truck. Third Toy p/u I bought new. Owned at least 9 Toy p/u's. I now have, as of 12/18/2011 over 191K on truck. It is used mostly for work. A lot of stop and go. Only mechanical repair done is one pully replaced a few thousand miles ago. I have replaced battery, 2x, brakes twice, rotors once. Faithful on oil changes, usually about 3k. It does not use or drip any oil. I trust it to go anywhere. Went to larger tires as I carry load most all times. Bad: visors, mudflaps. I have 5 sp manual trans. I will go with a six or 8 after this, but this is ok. Typical mileage is 18-21. Now I need a four door because we are to have a baby, and you can't put an infant in the access cab. Never been so pleased with a vehicle not needing a shop!