Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2006 Prerunner, V6, Access cab, 5A
By Lou

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Highway and in town driving produces same MPG, around 20. No problems in 8,550 miles. Nice around town truck with ample power. Not suited for long trips or in windy conditions. Draws favorable comments and has high resale value. Very well could be best mid size truck on the market.

Favorite Features

The design is easy on the eye; ride quality is good with lower tire pressure. Very responsive for a V6. Fuel milage is good and predictible.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise around sliding rear window when AC is turned on. Unstable at highway speeds, especiall with cross winds. Transmisssion does not shift into final gear if you are cruising around 40 MPH and sometimes makes noise when changing gears.

Good but not perfect...
By m9431

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota Truck and one selected after much comparison. For me the size fits my needs, and I'm impressed by the interior design. The V6 is impressive, but not overly fuel efficient compared to Chevy's great V8s. Chassis strength is much improved, handling is good. As others have noted in user forums, the rear suspension is weak, mine bottoming out after I added a 150lb. cap. I had to have my srpings rebuilt independently at my cost, not covered under warranty. Additionally, the 5-speed automatic transmission shifts very poorly, slow to make a decision and often like it doesn't know what gear it should be in! Hopefully Toyota will release new software to cure this problem.

Favorite Features

Smooth V6, nice interior with handy storage, good resale value, strong chassis, good handling, good build quality.

Suggested Improvements

5-speed electronic automatic transmission does not know how to shift--Toyota should upgrade software and offer to current owners. Weak rear springs on long-bed models.

Sharp Truck!
By TMac

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first truck and I love it. My last car was a 2-seater convertible and decided to go the opposite direction this time. The Tacoma has exceeded my expectations on almost everything. Toyota's design outranks all competitors and the performance is great. Plus you can trust that Toyota reliability. A+++

Favorite Features

Hood scoop on TRD Sport Package, standard bedliner, storage under back seat,

Suggested Improvements

Offer a few more color options.

She's Pretty... But She Works!
By Rick

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Toyota put a lot of thought into the Tacoma and the needs of a light truck owner. Pressed into service as a working pickup truck, I moved the entire contents of my house without a problem. As long as you don't exceed it's half-ton rating, just cram everything into the fully lined bed, tie down and go. The Tacoma looks sharp, rides high and solid, and is easy to handle on a congested city parkway or a spacious country backroad. The cab is very roomy, well- appointed, well-upholstered, and the AM/FM/CD is quite impressive for a stock system. The 4 cyl 2.7l engine lights off with a roar, sounding and feeling more like a 6. With gas prices these days, you can't beat its high 20's to near 30 MPG.

Favorite Features

Looks sharp, fully lined bed, adjustable cargo tie-downs, storage compartments in bed wall, awesome sound. The AC/sliding back glass/stylized rims package was a good addition. More affordable than the Colorado (looks like Chevy strips the base model then makes you buy everything all over again).

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control. The clock is hard to see in extreme brightness. Just shade it with your hand to read it, or look at your wrist watch. You'll need truck rope to keep large cargo from shifting, and a net to keep smaller cargo in place. No real performance or mechanical deficiencies on this truck.

Great Small Truck!
By MHadden

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 2001 Sonoma years before buying this truck. There is no comparison. This truck feels like it has a V6 (only a 2.7L 4 cyl) and has an awesome ride while not being too harsh. What takes the cake is the great gas mileage. I didn't buy this truck for mileage, but I'm averaging 25 mpg with about 40%/60% city/highway driving. Not to shabby. The composite bed is nice, I'm sure it saves a few pounds off of the weight. I was bummed that it doesn't come with a tow package, but I did buy the OE hitch system for it. The man. trans is awesome, even when pulling a load. Keep your mud flaps on, the paint chips easily along the rockers; I found out the hard way.

Favorite Features

Toyota Accessory skid plate, off-road stance, mpg, SR5 package with console and bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights avail or standard, cruise control as an option (or standard), tow package.