2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Best kept secret
By Gary on 08/01/09 04:42 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab X-Runner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this X-Runner right off the showroom floor and it has been turning heads ever since. Incredible handling, drives like it is on rails. Fun 6 speed stick, comfortable, roomy interior, great sound system. Control panels easy to use, overhead compartment for garage opener, sun glasses Easy access reaching into bed due to low profile. Even has ac outlet in bed if you need to use power tools, vacuum cleaner, radio, etc. Great idea! Haven't had a single issue with this truck. Would recommend factory mud flaps due to road rash on bumped out rear wheel wells. Other than that, this truck is a home run!

2006 Tacoma 4cyl. Auto Access Cab SR5
By Ed on 07/22/09 05:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

The four cyl. automatic has a tougher go of it in the Texas hills. Here on the coast it's a good deal. It will consistently do 28 mpg on the highway at 63mph speed. Do not go to the larger wheels/tires or you will lose 2 mpg fuel economy. The optional shift or automatic (2nd, 3rd or drive only) is fun to use. I would recommend the 5 spd. manual if you want to tow with the four cyl. This long bed with the access cab can haul a lot. The short second seat is perfect for your gear, tools, groceries, or a small animal carrier. As usual for Toyota, this truck is absolutely dependable (80,500 miles in less than 3 years, w/no issues).

Poor Suspension
By CHRIS RICHARDS on 06/22/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my SR5 4x4 access cab and loved it from day 1, and after a few months of driving and hitting a few little bumps on pavement & dirt roads (even while empty and just me driving) the rear end would bottom out and the suspension is less then standard. I couldn't be. that Toyota would allow only 2 leaf springs in the rear of any of their trucks. Otherwise the truck runs great & I think they have since upgraded this after 2006 - or at least I hope so. Everything else has been perfect.

Not the truck i hoped and payed for
By John H on 03/27/09 16:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

As we all know Toyota Tacomas are very expensive in comparison to their domestic counterparts. You're hoping they give u at least 200k. Bought this truck brand new with 26 miles. I commute nearly 350 miles every 2 days. I changed both the oil and filter every 3,000 with Toyota's recommended oil, flushed the trans every 45k and had the rear end done every 50k. Cooling system at 65k and again at 118k. With 121,450 miles my 2.7L seized. Not what I expected. Toyota said at 120k it should be ready for an overhaul. Engine sludge. OK? I thought they lasted. My wife's 05 FX4 f150 has 188k on original drivetrain along with my 97 Jeep 4.0 with 294k on the original engine. Should have spent money elsewhere.

paint!
By Mike on 03/13/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Use the truck only for recreation; road trips to races, tailgating, a few cross-country road trips. I'm 6'5" and have plenty of legroom. Firm but comfortable ride, hiway mileage is acceptable. Have an automatic tranny and quickly learned to keep the truck in 4th in hill county. 5 speeds are nice for flatland mileage but it constantly shifts between 4th and 5th in hilly country. Only major complaint is that the paint is junk. "Impulse red" looks great but it chips if you look at it wrong. I've seen this complaint from other reviewers so I'm far from alone. Never, ever had a vehicle that chipped so easily. If it weren't for this I'd rate the truck as far and away the best in class.

2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
By SR5 on 12/24/08 13:59 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It took a while to get used to the truck's dimensions. Steering is very responsive. Steering seemed quite free on freeway, like truck wasn't LOCKED into lane. Ride is smooth, great shocks. Brakes are light, not sensitive. Quite a bit of outside noise even with windows up. Can be difficult at times to see cars in blindspots. Great on rough or dirt-roads. Went deep into the forest, made my own road. Like I listed above, 86,000 miles on an '06 Tacoma. I'm on the same brakes, plugs, clutch, and feel I can reach 100,000 b4 any changes. Needed new set of tires at 60k and a wheel alignment. Got rear ended right rear corner, pretty hard, things did not shatter just bent (STRONG) no frame damage.

Happy Overall
By Central Connecticut on 10/24/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck (used) to replace a well-worn full size pickup. It was my hope to buy a smaller truck, and still enjoy the higher ride, spacious cabin, and load-carrying capacity of my old truck, but with better fuel economy. I'm very satisfied on the first two points, but less so on the load-carrying and fuel economy. When this truck is loaded to capacity, the rear springs are almost bottomed out. And the fuel economy is only slightly better than a full size truck. Overall, though, I'm quite happy. It's handling is stiff and glued to the road, like a sports car, but comfortable on long trips. And even for a tall person, the seating and controls are very satisfactory.

Get The "Platinum" Warranty
By Josh on 09/29/08 11:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and it wasn't covered by the warranty. They wanted $1100 to fix it, telling me the "Gold" warranty doesn't cover that, only the "Platinum". I took the unit apart and fixed it myself in about ten minutes. Seems like it goes through a lot of batteries too, four in 2 1/2 yrs.

Solid ride
By HeywoodJablome on 07/09/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I can't believe people still consider the Tacoma a "small" truck. This thing grew massively on its last re-design. It is not the same Toyota truck I learned to drive on in 1986. I am a heavyweight myself, and find the truck very accommodating. The interior looks good, great exterior styling, and the bed with all of its features is the best design out there. The economy of the engine is great too.

Best small truck for the buck
By suisunian on 04/27/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 2 yrs. 24K, 20 mpg avg noted in past 40 fill ups. Narrow seats with center storage arm rest, rather it had a bench seat for big butts, brake/gas pedal too close togeather. driver arm rest door panel cracked, rear shocks leak. Wish it had a long bed.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.