2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great Tacoma
By lovecars10 on 01/27/11 19:17 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Okay, I have what some people may call "car issues". I am 33 years old and on about the 40th car. Six months ago I bought a 25k mile 2006 with a factory warranty. I am totally not a truck guy and could not see myself driving an F-150. But the Tacoma is not a truck for us. Its the Ultimate Family Vehicle. We go camping, lot's of room with tonneau cover, it can tow, it fits 4 of us comfortably, and I can get stuff from Lowe's. By the way its very reliable and overall feels very solid. I can't believe that my top favorite car out of Acuras, Bmw, Saab and a bunch of others and it's a "truck"...no, it's an..."Ultimate Family Vehicle".

4X4 Beast reliable fun safe!
By Jesus saves on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only bad thing about my truck is the poor fuel economy. I get about 19 mpg. Other than that it's a beast. Back seat fits adults just fine. I have pulled out several lifter 4x4 diesel trucks out of the mud, snow, and sand. Pulls loads great. 4X4 like no other and it soaks up the bumps great!

66,000 and still love it
By RKK on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Outside some flimsy door panels that dealer said he replaced and didn't, just glued reinforcements in door elbow rest, I'm fairly happy. Installed a 2.5" front lift via Bilstein adjustable shocks & a 1" rear lift via blocks with matching Bilstein 5100's. I average 23- 24mpg on summer fuel, 21-22 on winter fuel. Light in the rear on wet roads, but thats to be expected. Also alot of driveline noise from day one, but my 93 model had same thing. I plan on another 100,000 miles, I love it that much.

She'll be missed
By Lisurfer523 on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunatly I was in a very bad accident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad. It was the best car I have ever purchased. I have to say it was my Tacoma that saved my life in the head on collision. I was hit head on by someone who jumped the double yellow and I managed to escape with a broken leg and a messed up knee. No head, back or neck injuries. I used my truck everyday to and from work, on and off the beach towing my pop up camper trailer and boat trailer, snow, rain with no problem ever. I never had as much as a flat tire in my truck. I would recommend this truck to anyone that ever goes off road or just likes having a small truck that drives like a big one with out the gas.

Overpriced Junk
By Alpine on 09/01/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First truck (same model) had to be replaced, due to a front-end problem - right off the lot. Second truck had a clutch problem from the start (one that the dealer ignored until it failed at 35K). I had the rear spring TSB done to help the load capability of the truck. The dealer messed up setting the pinion angle of the diff - blowing out the drive-shaft carrier bearing. The dealer would not admit to this, and I had to get it fixed at a drive-line shop (at $900). All-in-all the truck is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned, with Toyota not backing the problems associated with this truck. Toyota, oh what a feeling (yeah, sick feeling).

Will own it for life!
By Jason on 08/29/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Finally purchased my toy last summer, after humming and hawing for years. I've researched the pro's and cons between the Nissan Frontier and the Tacoma, and the biggest issues outstanding for each is the transmission trouble with the Taco, but the differential troubles with the Frontiers. After thinking about the cost (frontier cheaper) the size (frontier smaller) and reputation, I felt that I could live with the random gear changes of the taco, and it wouldn't cost anything in repairs, or pay less for a Nissan, then replace the differential in a year, have less cabin room, less box room, and less "look cool factor". I've been driving in every terrain with only once stuck in a ditch! Love it!

06 Tacoma, three years in.
By Chuck W on 04/20/10 09:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Black, 4WD, Short-bed TRD, used in June of 2007. It had 20K miles on it, and it is sitting at just over 60K miles now (April 2010). Wanted a smaller truck that was 4WD with four doors and I was willing to sacrifice power, fun, and space. So far, the space is the only sacrifice. The bed is pretty small when hauling things, but I knew that going into the deal. For the trucks size and weight, the power is outstanding. I pulled a Chevy 1500 out of a ditch with ease of course, I was still on asphalt and had good traction. Regardless, this was my first Toyota truck and I will own it until the wheels fall off! Great little truck, and still get compliments all the time.

Great Truck
By andy on 04/03/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 4wd 2.7L 4 cyl std trans. The truck is economical (22-26 mpg), comfortable and dependable. The interior is comfortable and utilitarian. Mine is a work truck and hauls my tools, firewood and bike with ease. It is comfortable on long trips, has a great stereo with disc player. My only gripe is that the speedometer reads high (about 8- 10%) with stock tires. Although it isn't that important to me I also like the styling.

Awesome truck...but....
By '06Tacoma on 02/15/10 20:59 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, this Tacoma has been very good and useful for us. However, that being said, if you have the means and are looking for an AUTO trans Taco, I would suggest getting the V6 instead. I currently own an '07 Double-cab long bed Prerunner and average about 21mpg (our local gas is a 10% ethanol blend). With the inline 4, I was only averaging about 22mpg so the fuel economy savings with the 4 is very slim. The V6 also idles softer/smoother (as is the case with most V6's vs larger displacement 4's). Also, occasionally during cold starts the inline 4 seemed to idle quite high and noisily for about half a minute before settling down (others have posted reviews about this as well).

Problems Problems Problems
By Nikki on 02/09/10 15:14 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Tacoma pre-runner V6 brand new, have had nothing but issues. First, breaks, if you try to break on any uneven surface they lock and you slide took it to my dealership they said "that's how abs works". On top of that my motor mount just happened to break (I looked into this&tons of people with tacomas 05-07 motor mounts have mysteriously broke).

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.