Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck
By andy

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 4wd 2.7L 4 cyl std trans. The truck is economical (22-26 mpg), comfortable and dependable. The interior is comfortable and utilitarian. Mine is a work truck and hauls my tools, firewood and bike with ease. It is comfortable on long trips, has a great stereo with disc player. My only gripe is that the speedometer reads high (about 8- 10%) with stock tires. Although it isn't that important to me I also like the styling.

Favorite Features

economy, bed design, passenger cabin

Love/Hate relationship
By pamela

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned Toyotas and I loved my last two Tacoma trucks so much I went for the new 2006. I loved the room of a four door and I have a 6'6 son who needed to fit into it with his size 18 shoe. The long bed was a must because I ride bikes and wanted to throw them in the back. I wanted a navigation system and bluetooth but they were not avaliable. The hate part... at almost $5 a gallon, I put in $85 at every fill up! It is killing me! The gas mileage is the worst, 340 miles for every $85 and rising. Toyota needs to make a fuel efficent truck soon! Please!

Favorite Features

Truck feels solid, roomy for tall people, long bed with tiedowns, fold down seats, lots of cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel efficency, GPS, bluetooth.

Underwhelmed
By Don-T

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '06 Sport pkg 4 dr short bed a couple months ago after trading in my 2000 Tundra. I've had Toyota trucks for 18 years now and I'm a bit dissapointed in their latest offering. I find the ride much harsher than previous trucks, like old solid axle GMC's. That has translated to numerous ugly rattles that the dealer can't seem to find. The Sport seats are comfy for about 30 miles and then get progressively harder. I don't like loosing the cassette player and ashtray either. Style is a personal thing but using a third of the dash for the radio and painting it all silver is a little pushy. The V6 is short on torque like the previous V6's but does get V8 gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Fake hood scoop and 17" wheels and inside storage area with the seats down. The truck is nice and quiet on smooth roads. Fit and finish are top drawer. Corners surprisingly flat, probably due to the stiff suspension.

Suggested Improvements

I'd buy a Limited package with softer springs, leather, toned down dash and garage door opener. There's no justification for springs that stiff, variable rate springs should be used. There's enough room under the hood for the 4.7. Bring back the vent windows and maybe power for the rear window.

generally overrated
By Anthony

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have now owned my '06 Tacoma Pre-runner for just over a year. Yes, the V6 has plenty of power for the truck but other than that not much going for the tacoma. The auto-transmission is not matched to the power curve of the V6 at all. I get lots of unneeded and mis-shifts while drive, cruise control actually makes this worse. Quality is typical toyota, nothing great but is nothing to be excited about. The interior is completely anti-comfort from the terrible seats to the away (typical o all Japanese cars) slopping dash. This creates a feeling of a large interior. The doors are paper thin and road noise is deafening. The radio is sub par when compared to anything. A "DO NOT BUY"!!

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, interior comfort. This truck has zero road feel and need a completely redesigned drive train and suspension. When compared to American full size truck (nearly same price) they prove to be a MUCH better buy

Overpriced Junk
By Alpine

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First truck (same model) had to be replaced, due to a front-end problem - right off the lot. Second truck had a clutch problem from the start (one that the dealer ignored until it failed at 35K). I had the rear spring TSB done to help the load capability of the truck. The dealer messed up setting the pinion angle of the diff - blowing out the drive-shaft carrier bearing. The dealer would not admit to this, and I had to get it fixed at a drive-line shop (at $900). All-in-all the truck is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned, with Toyota not backing the problems associated with this truck. Toyota, oh what a feeling (yeah, sick feeling).

Favorite Features

If I had to offer something, I would say seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Start over Toyota!