Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck For The Money
By BDana

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this truck for about 2 months. Traded in a 2002 Dakota as I was sick of 15 mpg. The Toyata has delivered an impressive 25-26 mpg. Recently returned from a 2 week fishing trip. Towed a 14 ft boat, motor, and enough equipment to last the average man 6 moths. Even with all the extra weight it averaged 21-22 mpg and on the ride home with less weight it climbed back to over 23. For a 4 cylinder vehicle it pulled my boat & trailer with little problem, going in the Berkshires with little downshifting. Only problem I have had is with visibility. I find my view blocked when checking oncoming traffic to my left so need to rely on the exterior mirrors more and direct sight less.

Obviously I love the mileage the most. I know gas prices have come down but does anyone really think they won't go back up? 25-26 mpg is pretty sweet. For a 4 cyl engine truck has impressive torque and pulling power. Acceleration, while not overwhelming, is adequate.

The visiblity problem bothers me. The way I have my seat adjusted the solid part of the cab where the seat belt protrudes and the glass window ends blocks my view of traffic from my left. This seems a safety hazard, when entering a highway for example. A split seat and cruise control would be nice.

2006 tacoma
By jim hecker

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Performance is great, but has vibration and harmonic hum starting at about 54 mph. Has been there since new, havent taken back to dealer yet. Also, 2 of the wheel center caps will not fit straight, are crooked. These are the only problems so far.

very nicely built truck, this is my 4th Toyota truck. Hopefully will be reliable as the rest have been.

Need better fit and finish on wheel caps, you cant tell me no one noticed how poorly they fit before they let it out the door. Dont like the look of the fender flares.

Tacoma - all the way
By Bob

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle now for almost 3 months. Love it to death. Had a slight mishap in an off-road extravaganza and messed my rim up. What should have been a bent control and tie rods ended up with just a mere alignment jar. Amazing vehicle inside and out. I get comments from people who drive the F150,250, Dodge 1500, 2500, and Chevy seirra, they all like the comfort of the front seats. Now let me talk about performance, the off-road package is the way to go. Bilstein shocks, and a built in engine braker in the transmission. Great control. Going around bends, this vehicle leans less then my previous 2WD tacoma that was base height, not nearly as high as this. WELL BUILT!

Engine braking, transmission, handling, front seats, they really do hold you in the seat. The acceleration and handling. The top mount oil filter. The dentless bed. It will scratch, but it's not easy. So far, cannot dent it.

Suggest MPG gauge be included with the direction and temp console. XM radio. A 12V DC aux outlet inside the center console and at the floor in the back seat. A power inverter in the dash right under the cigarette lighter.

I Waited 20 years for this truck
By Kelshm

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have wanted a Tacoma forever. I never seemed to be able to find one when it was time to trade however. This time I just went all out and bought a new one. I should have done this before! This truck is phenomenal! I have never felt so secure in a vehicle in my life!

I can't decide what my favorite features might be. I love everything about this truck!

I personally cannot think of a single improvement needing to be made on this truck.

The best I have found
By Bill

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

After having a '82 SR5 for 260,000 miles with no real problem I was looking for a new vehicle to replace it as there wasn't enough room for the family. I looked atother trucks and setled on the Tacoma 4 dr V6. Unbelivable power and a turning radius better than my old SR5. It also is the most comfortable ride for long distances I have ever driven. I do not recomend lightly, this truck is perfect.

Fold down rear seats with room for a 170 lb Newfoundland, Power receptacle, and power to pass anything on demand. It also has a smooth ride, and an accessable oil filter that you change from the open hood on the right side of the engine. No more crawling under the truck to access it.

Longer bed. I worry when I have to carry 8' sheetrock with 2' hanging off the gate