Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Most Helpful|
Driveline could not be worse!
By Indy

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Sharp truck, too bad I hate driving it because the transmission shudders so bad when shifting gears. The automatic shifting is infuriating all the way around. It down shifts like it has Jake brakes. Good luck trying to coast. Toyota claims that all these problems are not problems, but normal. I wish they had mentioned these normal features in their brochure.

Favorite Features

Interior/exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tranny problem!

Should not have to get special Warranty
By otherland

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and the airbag sensor lights stayed on was covered by warranty do not think this should be happening to a new truck. Have not had time to find out how much the Compass/temp gauge is going to cost. But as a rule it runs a lot better than the other truck I owned

Favorite Features

The body style it really has a lot of class

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the little stuff like sensor lights, compass and gauges and the sound system. I purchased all the options on this truck these little things should not go out for the price it cost. Please check the braking system

4X4 Beast reliable fun safe!
By Jesus saves

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only bad thing about my truck is the poor fuel economy. I get about 19 mpg. Other than that it's a beast. Back seat fits adults just fine. I have pulled out several lifter 4x4 diesel trucks out of the mud, snow, and sand. Pulls loads great. 4X4 like no other and it soaks up the bumps great!

Favorite Features

turn knob 4x4, MOTOR!

Suggested Improvements

weak rear stock suspension

6 years later...
By toyotacurrenla

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've own my 2006 for six years now. No issues other than replacing the battery. Daily driver and has put on over 100k on it so far. Great truck haven't pulled anything to heavy but pulled 12' trailer with junk no problem. Great purchase and like it even more after my note ended.

Favorite Features

Nice ride for a truck

Suggested Improvements

Would like higher towing capacity

2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Manual trans 4X4
By tomtabil

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice truck, it has a lot of power, leveled, cold air kit, Flow master, goes like a rocket, third gear is the happy spot, you're in a truck that is a ball to drive. Hard to drive with maturity, just begs to light up Nissan, F150s and the ilk. Had to figure out how to grease the grease fittings on the u joints, okay other than you have to pull a little heat shield to get to one on the front propeller shaft (aka front drive line). Be gentle on the clutch, get on it and get off it, they made two clutches, , the L UK on mine was replaced on warranty at 30000 miles. So much power I think it just is too much for the clutch. The 06 used premium, I think it helps.

Favorite Features

Oil filter on top of the motor, Generous seating, good power, nice manual transmission, so good fifth and sixth gear is almost not needed.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, better clutch, both tougher and needing less leg force to operate, Height adjustable driver seat should be standard.