Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Base Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Don't buy on brand alone.
By Mike Noble

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 28,000 miles with my 2006 Tacoma 2WD, manual trans, the overall experience has been less than I expected. The power of the 2.7L four is marginal even in a vehicle this light. 158 horses out of 2.7L is pretty pitiful today considering it has variable valve timing. The 5-speed trans is poorly geared, and not matched to the engine's power curve. The 3:31 rear gears makes 5th gear unusable. Overall, I wouldn't buy it again. It will probably go 200,000 miles, but I'll never make it! Don't consider buying it because it's a Toyota!

The headlights are great, and the seat is comfortable. I like the composite bed, but it's too slick.

Needs a better trans. The 4:1 first gear makes 2nd too far away. I really lugs the motor when you hit 2nd. It needs 4:10 rear gears instead of 3:31. 5th gear is useless with the 3:31 gears. Gas mileage is better in 4th.

A Great Not So Little Truck
By Andy

Absolutely no problems for 12000 miles

Composite material bed, moveable tiedown brackets, great mileage, comfortable seats.

Lower idle speed when cold

Great little truck
By J to the B

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota truck number three for me. Base 2wd, regular cab, short bed. The second I shifted into second gear on the test drive I knew she was mine. I love the front end styling of the truck, but think the rear end is ugly. Mileage consistently in the very low 20s (mix of hwy and city) which is a little disappointing. The truck accelerated the same with 1,000 lbs of sand in the back or with nothing in the back, which surprised me (a good thing). I love my little truck.

Torque, perceived toughness/reliability.

Get rid of the strange cut outs around the rear wheel wells.