2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
66,000 and still love it
By RKK on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Outside some flimsy door panels that dealer said he replaced and didn't, just glued reinforcements in door elbow rest, I'm fairly happy. Installed a 2.5" front lift via Bilstein adjustable shocks & a 1" rear lift via blocks with matching Bilstein 5100's. I average 23- 24mpg on summer fuel, 21-22 on winter fuel. Light in the rear on wet roads, but thats to be expected. Also alot of driveline noise from day one, but my 93 model had same thing. I plan on another 100,000 miles, I love it that much.

Don't buy on brand alone.
By Mike Noble on 10/29/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 28,000 miles with my 2006 Tacoma 2WD, manual trans, the overall experience has been less than I expected. The power of the 2.7L four is marginal even in a vehicle this light. 158 horses out of 2.7L is pretty pitiful today considering it has variable valve timing. The 5-speed trans is poorly geared, and not matched to the engine's power curve. The 3:31 rear gears makes 5th gear unusable. Overall, I wouldn't buy it again. It will probably go 200,000 miles, but I'll never make it! Don't consider buying it because it's a Toyota!

A Great Not So Little Truck
By Andy on 04/13/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

Absolutely no problems for 12000 miles

2WD is fine with Traction Control option
By TomGab on 03/15/08 03:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I'm extremely happy with my purchase two years later. Vehicle performs flawlessly in the snow and ice of the Massachusetts Berkshires. Insist on traction control options if you live in a similar locale, they have done the job consistently for me. Meanwhile, I get the mileage advantages of a 2WD power train. Seats are a little thin but not uncomfortable.

I got what I bought
By mrfinfish on 11/29/07 11:50 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truck "is what it is"; an economical version of a small truck, very handy and economical around the suburbs and city driving. Principal reason for my buying this truck is that I'm sick and tired of loosing $10,000+ a year in owing a Ford or Dodge $30,000 vehicle when purchased new. I bought this truck for a little over $16K; it gets 22 to 26 mpg; it is decidedably uncomfortable; it's 2.7litter engine performance is acceptable, and one year after my purchase, I've probably lost between $3 and $4,000, based on it's current resale value. Do I wish I had a big truck with 4-wheel drive? Sure; but it's a function of whether I want the cash in my pocket, or in the dealers pocket.

06 standard cab 4x4 Tacoma
By gene on 08/28/07 12:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Tacoma in oct of 2006. It's a 2.7 i4, 5spd manual, 4x4 w/ ac. The truck itself is great. Handles well on the highway as well as offroad. My only complaint is the 5spd manual transmission. It does not shift smoothly. It sometimes hangs up going into reverse and 2nd gear. I have taken it back to the dealer a few times and was told that while they test drive it there wasn't any problem shifting. I am 55 yrs old and have been driving manual transmission trucks and cars for a while. This is the first one that felt like the trans was low on oil, or the shifter was bent out of shape. That has been the only problem I have had so far.

Not For Me
By garymike on 08/03/07 10:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I made a mistake purchasing this vehicle. It's ride is way too harsh, and the fuel economy is disappointing. I got the 4-cyl automatic, and consistently get 22 mpg. While that is not abysmal, I expected so much more. The truck has no personality, and is not fun to drive. The build quality is quite good and very solid, but sound suppression in the cab seems non-existent. For all the high praise this truck gets, I find that this truck is definitely not for me.

Best Truck Built
By Mark Luffred on 12/18/06 08:15 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best truck on the market. The coil-spring double wishbone front suspension on this truck gives you the feel of driving a luxury car. The power to weight ratio gives you better than expected acceleration performance even on the 4 cylinder. The bed rail system combined with the bed anchors give you the flexibility to handle any hauling task.

Great little truck
By J to the B on 12/12/06 12:44 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota truck number three for me. Base 2wd, regular cab, short bed. The second I shifted into second gear on the test drive I knew she was mine. I love the front end styling of the truck, but think the rear end is ugly. Mileage consistently in the very low 20s (mix of hwy and city) which is a little disappointing. The truck accelerated the same with 1,000 lbs of sand in the back or with nothing in the back, which surprised me (a good thing). I love my little truck.

Smooth Runner But Very Uncomfortable
By Tim on 11/21/06 17:25 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

The Tacoma is very quiet and smooth. Comfortable ride but sloppy handling. Very little brake feel. The base model seats are absolutely miserable. The seat belt receptacles are too far over causing them to rub on my hip (I actually paid an upholstery shop to move the driver side over!). I'm a thin person, if you are heavy or wide you simply won't fit. The steering wheel does not telescope out far enough forcing you into an uncomfortable driving position. I have owned it 4 months and I'm already looking to trade it off because I just can't get comfortable in the thing. Too bad, too, because it seems well built otherwise.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.