Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Overall incredible truck.
By zacattack1

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab PreRunner 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving full side trucks all of my life. Chevy 1500, 06 Tundra. I have a 06 prerunner sr5 5 manual, and have to say it is a 10 in every department. And the 2.7L is a top end engine. And at times it feels like a race truck. The whole truck is strong, tight, and fast. It does 80 on the highway at 1/4 throttle with ease. And with its short wheel base. The city and freeway ride, is the best and smoothest. First gear is very short, but once you start shifting through the gears. The top end engine hits, and the truck just pulls and pulls.

66,000 and still love it
By RKK

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Outside some flimsy door panels that dealer said he replaced and didn't, just glued reinforcements in door elbow rest, I'm fairly happy. Installed a 2.5" front lift via Bilstein adjustable shocks & a 1" rear lift via blocks with matching Bilstein 5100's. I average 23- 24mpg on summer fuel, 21-22 on winter fuel. Light in the rear on wet roads, but thats to be expected. Also alot of driveline noise from day one, but my 93 model had same thing. I plan on another 100,000 miles, I love it that much.

Favorite Features

Looks, roomy interior compared to my 93, fuel economy isn't bad for a 4WD, bed tie downs & composite construction have proved handy.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rests, driveline (fixed mine via flipping rear drive-shaft, found this at tech forums) takes a pair of 14 mm wrenches & 1/2 hour.

Don't buy on brand alone.
By Mike Noble

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 28,000 miles with my 2006 Tacoma 2WD, manual trans, the overall experience has been less than I expected. The power of the 2.7L four is marginal even in a vehicle this light. 158 horses out of 2.7L is pretty pitiful today considering it has variable valve timing. The 5-speed trans is poorly geared, and not matched to the engine's power curve. The 3:31 rear gears makes 5th gear unusable. Overall, I wouldn't buy it again. It will probably go 200,000 miles, but I'll never make it! Don't consider buying it because it's a Toyota!

Favorite Features

The headlights are great, and the seat is comfortable. I like the composite bed, but it's too slick.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better trans. The 4:1 first gear makes 2nd too far away. I really lugs the motor when you hit 2nd. It needs 4:10 rear gears instead of 3:31. 5th gear is useless with the 3:31 gears. Gas mileage is better in 4th.

A Great Not So Little Truck
By Andy

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Absolutely no problems for 12000 miles

Favorite Features

Composite material bed, moveable tiedown brackets, great mileage, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Lower idle speed when cold

2WD is fine with Traction Control option
By TomGab

2006 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I'm extremely happy with my purchase two years later. Vehicle performs flawlessly in the snow and ice of the Massachusetts Berkshires. Insist on traction control options if you live in a similar locale, they have done the job consistently for me. Meanwhile, I get the mileage advantages of a 2WD power train. Seats are a little thin but not uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

Traction control, limited slip differential and ABS. Excellent highway mileage and large gas tank. Center seat belt for my dog, Sam Adams.

Suggested Improvements

The dash, while very readable with easy to use and reach controls looks a bit cheap. Hooks that hold the floor mats in place pull out too easily.