Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

An incredible truck
By daveyo

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2006 Tacoma is the first truck I've owned and it is amazing. I've driven it over 280,000 miles and the only repair its needed was a transmission rebuild (didn't change the fluid frequently). I do change the oil regularly, and now change the transmission fluid regularly. This truck shows no signs of slowing down. Mechanically - its as sound as they come. The interior is very durable. After 280K, the driver's seat shows very little wear.

Beware of The Clunky , Rusty 2005-2011 Tacoma !
By Bill Robertson

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

While the engine is strong and the truck seems to hold up , the issues with cracking leaf springs and rusty frames makes me tell people to be very careful . My trucks leaf springs died at 67k miles and at the time Toyota had not recalled the nearly 700,000 tacomas ... Although I fixed it I am not getting reimbursement from Toyolet ,and they continue to cheat me and thousands of other customers . Google "Toyota rusty frames " or " Tacoma leaf springs failure " .. While the trucks look butch they are weak and the customer service is an abomination ... Beware of the last generation Junk Tacomas from Toyolet , not worth the money or the hassles .. Buy a real truck .

06 tacoma
By dean40

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

have had this truck for a year now, and the only thing i have done is change the oil and filters, great truck!

i love the way it looks, i have the trd prerunner and it just looks cool, especially with the hood scoop.

i wish the gas tank were a little bigger, like 25 gallons.

Transmission Problems
By Gino64

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fell in love with the tacoma design and had to buy one. I give it low marks on performance because I'm having problems with the automatic transmission. The truck vibrates at low speeds and can't seem to find the low gears. Took it to the dealer and was told that it was normal. The problem still persists and I will contact the dealer and Toyota.

I like the cab design and bed liner.

Fix transmission problems.

Overrated
By tacmot

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When I initially bought this 2006 TRD Tacoma, I was initially blown away with the styling and capability. Did a lot of bragging for Yota and probably sold a few vehicles for them. Fast forward 2 years, "the honeymoon is over" and it time for real solid engineering and time tested design to take over but I feel that this is not the one. This truck has not left me on the side of the road but is giving "indications of potential unreliable conditions" i.e. the tranny works but feels like it has begun a death march. The engine runs but sounds like it could have some problems in the not so distant future. learned my lesson, you be smart, learn from my mistake, buy an F-150, ford I'm coming home.

styling, comfort, locking rear diff

My full size truck gets as good MPG as this vehicle. This makes me question the point of a smaller v-6 truck. A v- 8 in the Tacoma would probably get equal MPG and provide more needed low end torque. This is not a truck motor, leave the Camry motor in the Camry.