Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

06 tacoma
By dean40

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

have had this truck for a year now, and the only thing i have done is change the oil and filters, great truck!

Favorite Features

i love the way it looks, i have the trd prerunner and it just looks cool, especially with the hood scoop.

Suggested Improvements

i wish the gas tank were a little bigger, like 25 gallons.

Transmission Problems
By Gino64

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fell in love with the tacoma design and had to buy one. I give it low marks on performance because I'm having problems with the automatic transmission. The truck vibrates at low speeds and can't seem to find the low gears. Took it to the dealer and was told that it was normal. The problem still persists and I will contact the dealer and Toyota.

Favorite Features

I like the cab design and bed liner.

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission problems.

Overrated
By tacmot

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When I initially bought this 2006 TRD Tacoma, I was initially blown away with the styling and capability. Did a lot of bragging for Yota and probably sold a few vehicles for them. Fast forward 2 years, "the honeymoon is over" and it time for real solid engineering and time tested design to take over but I feel that this is not the one. This truck has not left me on the side of the road but is giving "indications of potential unreliable conditions" i.e. the tranny works but feels like it has begun a death march. The engine runs but sounds like it could have some problems in the not so distant future. learned my lesson, you be smart, learn from my mistake, buy an F-150, ford I'm coming home.

Favorite Features

styling, comfort, locking rear diff

Suggested Improvements

My full size truck gets as good MPG as this vehicle. This makes me question the point of a smaller v-6 truck. A v- 8 in the Tacoma would probably get equal MPG and provide more needed low end torque. This is not a truck motor, leave the Camry motor in the Camry.

Oh What a Feeling!
By TNRiverjet

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck as a demo with 8K miles. I now have 82K plus in about two years and it is still ticking strong. I do find the seats uncomfortable for long road trips, but every other part of interior design and layout is perfect. Storage is excellent. I had the rear leaf TSB performed to replace the original springs. The new 4 leaf springs handle weight much better than stock. I use Michelin LTX AT tires. This truck rides and drives like a car! It is sporty, powerful, nimble. It is also easy to maneuver in parking lots/garages and around town. Service has been minimum/standard and I have had no warranty issues. The transmission seems to seek gears esp. around 40 mph.

Favorite Features

110v power outlet in bed. Bed tiedowns. composite bed, crew cab, storage behind rear seats. tow package is worth the $$ with an extremely stout 2" receiver hitch. Fuel mileage (as recorded per every fillup) is avg. 20-21 over 82K mi.

Suggested Improvements

bluetooth, sunroof, sliding rear window like fullsize Tundra, more weight carrying capacity, more bulletproof transmission, locking tailgate

Worth Every Penny
By Parrothead

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Toyota PreRunner for over 2 yrs now and I have no regrets about purchasing this truck. It has met or exceeded my expectations, and is far superior in quality than the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge products that I have owned. My only complaint is the angulation of the center air vent on the driver's side; it blows air directly on the driver even when an attempt is made to angle it toward the rear cab. Domestic truck manufacturers have a long way to go to meet the quality and dependability of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Air vent angulation.