2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Best truck ive ever had
By firefighter632 on 10/07/12 20:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive had my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad for 2 yrs now and LOVE it. The only downside i can find doesnt even apply to me which is the steering wheel tilted all the way up is still very difficult for my big brother (6'4 260) to drive comfortably. He loves the room in the backseat better than our dads Chevy Z71. I have put over 28K on the truck without doing anything but oil change every 5K and new tires once. I did put on a 3 in leveling kit with 265/75/16 tires. I can say im sold on Toyota Tacoma as my truck of choice for the future!

Almost Perfect for a Truck
By jdl50cc on 12/19/11 14:27 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just passed 93,000 miles on our Tacoma and have yet to perform a single repair other than regularly scheduled maintenance. The worst parts of the Tacoma were the lousy stock tires, but once we replaced those with General Grabbers, things were much better. The radio format is a disappointment, too, because the dash won't accept a standard DIN opening replacement, and we're stock with the standard unit, which lakes MP3 ability and an auxiliary input jack. Another odd thing is the fuel economy: It gets 19-20 MPG around town and the same 19-20 MPG on the freeway. I'm really happy around town, but wish the freeway fuel use was a bit better.

Great Tacoma
By lovecars10 on 01/27/11 19:17 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Okay, I have what some people may call "car issues". I am 33 years old and on about the 40th car. Six months ago I bought a 25k mile 2006 with a factory warranty. I am totally not a truck guy and could not see myself driving an F-150. But the Tacoma is not a truck for us. Its the Ultimate Family Vehicle. We go camping, lot's of room with tonneau cover, it can tow, it fits 4 of us comfortably, and I can get stuff from Lowe's. By the way its very reliable and overall feels very solid. I can't believe that my top favorite car out of Acuras, Bmw, Saab and a bunch of others and it's a "truck"...no, it's an..."Ultimate Family Vehicle".

4X4 Beast reliable fun safe!
By Jesus saves on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only bad thing about my truck is the poor fuel economy. I get about 19 mpg. Other than that it's a beast. Back seat fits adults just fine. I have pulled out several lifter 4x4 diesel trucks out of the mud, snow, and sand. Pulls loads great. 4X4 like no other and it soaks up the bumps great!

She'll be missed
By Lisurfer523 on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunatly I was in a very bad accident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad. It was the best car I have ever purchased. I have to say it was my Tacoma that saved my life in the head on collision. I was hit head on by someone who jumped the double yellow and I managed to escape with a broken leg and a messed up knee. No head, back or neck injuries. I used my truck everyday to and from work, on and off the beach towing my pop up camper trailer and boat trailer, snow, rain with no problem ever. I never had as much as a flat tire in my truck. I would recommend this truck to anyone that ever goes off road or just likes having a small truck that drives like a big one with out the gas.

Will own it for life!
By Jason on 08/29/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Finally purchased my toy last summer, after humming and hawing for years. I've researched the pro's and cons between the Nissan Frontier and the Tacoma, and the biggest issues outstanding for each is the transmission trouble with the Taco, but the differential troubles with the Frontiers. After thinking about the cost (frontier cheaper) the size (frontier smaller) and reputation, I felt that I could live with the random gear changes of the taco, and it wouldn't cost anything in repairs, or pay less for a Nissan, then replace the differential in a year, have less cabin room, less box room, and less "look cool factor". I've been driving in every terrain with only once stuck in a ditch! Love it!

06 Tacoma, three years in.
By Chuck W on 04/20/10 09:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Black, 4WD, Short-bed TRD, used in June of 2007. It had 20K miles on it, and it is sitting at just over 60K miles now (April 2010). Wanted a smaller truck that was 4WD with four doors and I was willing to sacrifice power, fun, and space. So far, the space is the only sacrifice. The bed is pretty small when hauling things, but I knew that going into the deal. For the trucks size and weight, the power is outstanding. I pulled a Chevy 1500 out of a ditch with ease of course, I was still on asphalt and had good traction. Regardless, this was my first Toyota truck and I will own it until the wheels fall off! Great little truck, and still get compliments all the time.

Loyal Tacoma Owner
By DAVE T on 04/23/09 22:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Tacoma that I've owned. I've never been brand partial until my first Tacoma purchase. It's the only truck I'll have now. Needed something small enough for just myself commuting to/from work, but also something I could take the family out in as well. Double cab fits the bill perfectly. 18-24 MPG is decent for a 4X4 truck. Stylish looks are sporty, ride is quiet and comfortable as compared to my '02. Had an unfortunate accident in the '02 when a driver pulled out in front of me causing a serious crash. Truck held up well and rec'd only minor damage as opposed to the Chevy Malibu that got what it deserved! Toyota makes a solid truck!

A good buy
By Todd on 10/12/08 19:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck brand new with 18 miles on the odometer. It now has over 45,000 miles and I still love it. Decent gas mileage for a truck, plenty of power, great offroad capability with the 4WD model, and awesome styling. The only gripe I have is why Toyota didn't include a locking tailgate. Other than that I love the Tacoma, and I get lots of compliments on it too. Will definitely buy another Toyota in the future.

What a great truck!
By adpinc on 08/20/08 19:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I turned in a leased 2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71. I had discovered that I really didn't need a full sized truck, and with gas prices where they are, I decided to buy a compact pick-up. I needed to have 4x4 and a double-cab design for seating for 4. I wanted reliability, but most importantly higher gas mileage. I quickly discovered that the Tacoma topped the list as far as meeting these minimum requirements. It has the best gas mileage in its class, very comfortable ride, and with the SR5 package, more than enough standard creature comforts. I have never owned a Toyota before, always opting for Hondas, but I have to tell you, I now understand "Toyota loyalty." What a great buy!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.