2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Manual trans 4X4
By tomtabil on 08/10/14 23:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice truck, it has a lot of power, leveled, cold air kit, Flow master, goes like a rocket, third gear is the happy spot, you're in a truck that is a ball to drive. Hard to drive with maturity, just begs to light up Nissan, F150s and the ilk. Had to figure out how to grease the grease fittings on the u joints, okay other than you have to pull a little heat shield to get to one on the front propeller shaft (aka front drive line). Be gentle on the clutch, get on it and get off it, they made two clutches, , the L UK on mine was replaced on warranty at 30000 miles. So much power I think it just is too much for the clutch. The 06 used premium, I think it helps.

Best truck ive ever had
By firefighter632 on 10/07/12 20:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive had my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad for 2 yrs now and LOVE it. The only downside i can find doesnt even apply to me which is the steering wheel tilted all the way up is still very difficult for my big brother (6'4 260) to drive comfortably. He loves the room in the backseat better than our dads Chevy Z71. I have put over 28K on the truck without doing anything but oil change every 5K and new tires once. I did put on a 3 in leveling kit with 265/75/16 tires. I can say im sold on Toyota Tacoma as my truck of choice for the future!

6 years later...
By toyotacurrenla on 03/20/12 12:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've own my 2006 for six years now. No issues other than replacing the battery. Daily driver and has put on over 100k on it so far. Great truck haven't pulled anything to heavy but pulled 12' trailer with junk no problem. Great purchase and like it even more after my note ended.

Almost Perfect for a Truck
By jdl50cc on 12/19/11 14:27 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just passed 93,000 miles on our Tacoma and have yet to perform a single repair other than regularly scheduled maintenance. The worst parts of the Tacoma were the lousy stock tires, but once we replaced those with General Grabbers, things were much better. The radio format is a disappointment, too, because the dash won't accept a standard DIN opening replacement, and we're stock with the standard unit, which lakes MP3 ability and an auxiliary input jack. Another odd thing is the fuel economy: It gets 19-20 MPG around town and the same 19-20 MPG on the freeway. I'm really happy around town, but wish the freeway fuel use was a bit better.

06 tacoma
By dean40 on 07/15/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

have had this truck for a year now, and the only thing i have done is change the oil and filters, great truck!

Great Tacoma
By lovecars10 on 01/27/11 19:17 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Okay, I have what some people may call "car issues". I am 33 years old and on about the 40th car. Six months ago I bought a 25k mile 2006 with a factory warranty. I am totally not a truck guy and could not see myself driving an F-150. But the Tacoma is not a truck for us. Its the Ultimate Family Vehicle. We go camping, lot's of room with tonneau cover, it can tow, it fits 4 of us comfortably, and I can get stuff from Lowe's. By the way its very reliable and overall feels very solid. I can't believe that my top favorite car out of Acuras, Bmw, Saab and a bunch of others and it's a "truck"...no, it's an..."Ultimate Family Vehicle".

4X4 Beast reliable fun safe!
By Jesus saves on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only bad thing about my truck is the poor fuel economy. I get about 19 mpg. Other than that it's a beast. Back seat fits adults just fine. I have pulled out several lifter 4x4 diesel trucks out of the mud, snow, and sand. Pulls loads great. 4X4 like no other and it soaks up the bumps great!

She'll be missed
By Lisurfer523 on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunatly I was in a very bad accident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad. It was the best car I have ever purchased. I have to say it was my Tacoma that saved my life in the head on collision. I was hit head on by someone who jumped the double yellow and I managed to escape with a broken leg and a messed up knee. No head, back or neck injuries. I used my truck everyday to and from work, on and off the beach towing my pop up camper trailer and boat trailer, snow, rain with no problem ever. I never had as much as a flat tire in my truck. I would recommend this truck to anyone that ever goes off road or just likes having a small truck that drives like a big one with out the gas.

Will own it for life!
By Jason on 08/29/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Finally purchased my toy last summer, after humming and hawing for years. I've researched the pro's and cons between the Nissan Frontier and the Tacoma, and the biggest issues outstanding for each is the transmission trouble with the Taco, but the differential troubles with the Frontiers. After thinking about the cost (frontier cheaper) the size (frontier smaller) and reputation, I felt that I could live with the random gear changes of the taco, and it wouldn't cost anything in repairs, or pay less for a Nissan, then replace the differential in a year, have less cabin room, less box room, and less "look cool factor". I've been driving in every terrain with only once stuck in a ditch! Love it!

06 Tacoma, three years in.
By Chuck W on 04/20/10 09:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Black, 4WD, Short-bed TRD, used in June of 2007. It had 20K miles on it, and it is sitting at just over 60K miles now (April 2010). Wanted a smaller truck that was 4WD with four doors and I was willing to sacrifice power, fun, and space. So far, the space is the only sacrifice. The bed is pretty small when hauling things, but I knew that going into the deal. For the trucks size and weight, the power is outstanding. I pulled a Chevy 1500 out of a ditch with ease of course, I was still on asphalt and had good traction. Regardless, this was my first Toyota truck and I will own it until the wheels fall off! Great little truck, and still get compliments all the time.