Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Manual trans 4X4
By tomtabil

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice truck, it has a lot of power, leveled, cold air kit, Flow master, goes like a rocket, third gear is the happy spot, you're in a truck that is a ball to drive. Hard to drive with maturity, just begs to light up Nissan, F150s and the ilk. Had to figure out how to grease the grease fittings on the u joints, okay other than you have to pull a little heat shield to get to one on the front propeller shaft (aka front drive line). Be gentle on the clutch, get on it and get off it, they made two clutches, , the L UK on mine was replaced on warranty at 30000 miles. So much power I think it just is too much for the clutch. The 06 used premium, I think it helps.

Favorite Features

Oil filter on top of the motor, Generous seating, good power, nice manual transmission, so good fifth and sixth gear is almost not needed.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, better clutch, both tougher and needing less leg force to operate, Height adjustable driver seat should be standard.

Best truck ive ever had
By firefighter632

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive had my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad for 2 yrs now and LOVE it. The only downside i can find doesnt even apply to me which is the steering wheel tilted all the way up is still very difficult for my big brother (6'4 260) to drive comfortably. He loves the room in the backseat better than our dads Chevy Z71. I have put over 28K on the truck without doing anything but oil change every 5K and new tires once. I did put on a 3 in leveling kit with 265/75/16 tires. I can say im sold on Toyota Tacoma as my truck of choice for the future!

Favorite Features

I cant name them all!

Suggested Improvements

Allow for a little more room for bigger size drivers.

6 years later...
By toyotacurrenla

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've own my 2006 for six years now. No issues other than replacing the battery. Daily driver and has put on over 100k on it so far. Great truck haven't pulled anything to heavy but pulled 12' trailer with junk no problem. Great purchase and like it even more after my note ended.

Favorite Features

Nice ride for a truck

Suggested Improvements

Would like higher towing capacity

Almost Perfect for a Truck
By jdl50cc

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just passed 93,000 miles on our Tacoma and have yet to perform a single repair other than regularly scheduled maintenance. The worst parts of the Tacoma were the lousy stock tires, but once we replaced those with General Grabbers, things were much better. The radio format is a disappointment, too, because the dash won't accept a standard DIN opening replacement, and we're stock with the standard unit, which lakes MP3 ability and an auxiliary input jack. Another odd thing is the fuel economy: It gets 19-20 MPG around town and the same 19-20 MPG on the freeway. I'm really happy around town, but wish the freeway fuel use was a bit better.

Favorite Features

Ride, reliability, durability, interior room and comfort, flexible anchoring system in bed.

Suggested Improvements

Change to stock DIN-sized radio, better stock tires, better highway fuel economy.

06 tacoma
By dean40

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

have had this truck for a year now, and the only thing i have done is change the oil and filters, great truck!

Favorite Features

i love the way it looks, i have the trd prerunner and it just looks cool, especially with the hood scoop.

Suggested Improvements

i wish the gas tank were a little bigger, like 25 gallons.