2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Truck Except
By Todd Cranford

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my truck; researched thoroughly before I made the purchase. I traded a 2003 Silverado and there really is no comparison between the two vehichles. I have put 4000 miles on it in all types of weather conditions and have to say that the driving experience is a pleasure. Going from the V8 in the Chevy to the V6 was a concern, but it turns out that my Tacoma has power to spare when needed. This is truly a great truck except for one issue that I hope to get resolved and does not cause any long term damage. I notice a tapping in the engine, only on cold starts and it certainly has me alarmed although it quits after the engine is warm. My dealership will resolve this issue.

Favorite Features

Overall interior space. Sporty design. Excellent sound system. Excellent power from the V6. Storage areas are great.

Suggested Improvements

None, other than the engine tapping on cold starts.

Nice truck.
By john hall

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck. Fantastic acceleration for a truck in this price range. Gas mileage is pretty good considering engine size. If you want great gas mileage, be prepared to sacrifice performance and acceleration. I get 18-20 on the road, driving conservatively. A little less, driving aggressively. Give me acceleration and performance over gas mileage anyday. Glad I bought this truck.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Ride.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter, short-stroke gear shift.

Owner of vehicle
By don

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice truck, long distance hauls are uncomfortable, seats still are not well padded, it is sporty and has looks, braking is still a little sluggish.

My 2006 Pre-Runner
By Blackie

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my fourth Toyota, a Tacoma Pre- runner SR5, and it's probably going to be my last one. I love my Tacoma's looks, quality and performance; but there is no adjustment for raising the driver's seat. I sit much too low, and I am 5'9" tall. Also, there's no audible signal from the remote door locking device; I have to watch the turn signal lights to see if they flash. I know this sounds like petty stuff, but I'm tired of Toyota doing things on the cheap in their top-of-the- line vehicles. Next time I'll take a closer look at the competition.

Perfect Truck
By WLC

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This truck is just about perfect. Great power, handling, comfort. The gas mileage could be better (averaging 16 mpg in mixed highway). Has a high fun factor, throw it into corners and punch it merging on the freeway. I bought the sports package with stereo upgrade, and had the Snugtop shell installed by the factory. All well worth the money in my opinion.

Favorite Features

Handling, Snugtop shell, composite bed, power outlet in the back.

Suggested Improvements

I agree that the factory side step rails are pretty much useless. They need to be lower and stick out further. Get some aftermarket ones instead.

F150 to Tacoma
By Dave L

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Finally got a truck worth writing about. Downsized from the Ford F150 Lariat with the 5.4 liter gas guzzling engine. I did not lose any comfort in the downsize and gained excellent gas mileage. Got 18 MPG on the first tank and 20 MPG the second tank and that included pulling my bass boat. The 4.0 V6 is a stong engine and the ride is just as comfortable as my F150 Lariat. Transmission and Tow package handled pulling my bass boat with ease. Drove through some pretty tough spots while deer hunting w/o four wheel drive and didn't get stuck. I plan to add the bilstein shocks myself for off road use. Don't have one regret in making the switch.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride is excellent. Composite bed eliminates need for bed or rhino lining.

Suggested Improvements

Side step rails are too high up and close in to be of use. Recommend they lower about 3-4 inches and come away from vehicle another 2 inches to get full use. Add horn feature to remote entry/lock for auiditory confirmation in addition to blinking lights.

Great truck
By thegreydog

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

A great buy! I have owned many trucks and this is by far the best. It has plenty of power and it is comfortable ride. I really don't know what else to say. If you are looking for a great mid-size truck, this is the one. It has everything you ask for.

Favorite Features

The composite bed with the power plug. The automatic transmission with the powerful V6 is a smooth combination.

Suggested Improvements

None, this truck is awesome!!