Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

4x4 6 speed manual
By roll_tide_geek

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently traded this truck in, but had it since 2007 when I bought it new. Never had to replace anything but the oil! It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Great off road, comfortable ride. The biggest downside was the fuel economy. It is very poor for a small truck! When I first bought it I didn't notice it as much but then when I moved and had to drive more the economy became very apparent. That was what made me trade it in because it was just too hard communiting 40 miles everyday.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, built in bed liner a nice feature. Very very reliable truck!!

Suggested Improvements

Backseat space in the access cab not so good. Never was a fan of the cloth material they used in this truck (had seat covers on it from almost day one). Fuel economy subpar

Happy with it
By Tacomaowner

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am more than satisfied with the ownership experience, from the performance, features, and low maintenance to the positive comments I get from others about the truck. I only wish I had specified the "outside temp / compass" feature and I also wish the radio had a 'aux" input for iPod and XM radio input.

Suggested Improvements

None

Craig's truck
By Craig

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This truck has all the power you will need. The brakes are spongy and the clutch takes getting used to. Otherwise, this truck is typical Toyota quality.

Favorite Features

Power, very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the clutch. Spread the gear ratios out a bit. 6th gear should be at least 10% higher. Brakes seem funky.

Nice performance and room
By reed

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had to replace my Audi with a truck for work purposes. I was expecting to be disappointed but this truck has exceeded my expectations. It has decent horsepower and torque. Handles well in snow (with four sand bags and studs), stereo sounds good, Sport package has nice options. Not the most comfortable ride but the truck can carry a decent load.

Favorite Features

The performance of the truck. I beat an A4 3.0 from a stop light last week. The manual transmission is crucial for mountain and snow driving. The extra cab has decent room. Clutchless start is nice option for off roading. AC plug works great for tailgating.

Suggested Improvements

4WD has problems engaging while driving. Poor gas mileage. CD changer died within 3 months. Bumpy ride and lots of small plastic pieces falling off interior. Tailgate became loose. Headlights seem to blind everyone. Stock tires are terrible. Offer some seat heaters, headlight cleaners and a sunroof.

Tacoma - built for the long road.
By Ozgard

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I shopped around for a few months. I looked at the Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Ford F15 and Nissan Frontier. What pulled me to the Tacoma was the number of older Tacomas still looking great. I talked to a few Tacoma owners and asked them how they liked their truck and they all responded that they loved their truck. I am very happy that I went with the Tacoma. The truck feels solid and drives extremely well. The gas mileage could be a little better but I'll take 18 MPG versus some of the other trucks. If you want a truck thats built Tacoma's the one.

Favorite Features

6 cyl 268 HP engine. TRD Sport package with 4WD can't be beat. Interior is real nice and the access cab has room for 2 more for short trips. 6 ft bed has plenty of room for cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be a better. Larger access cab windows would improve blind spots.