Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Severely dissappointed
By dunwithtoyota

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2006 for 7 years now and until recently I loved it. Very reliable and very few problems (compared to the GM's I used to drive). However when I took it for the latest state inspection it wouldn't pass because the frame is rusting away. This problem now seems to be appearing on many 05 & 06 Tacomas. Both the dealer and I contacted Toyota separately concerning this. Toyota's response was basically 'too bad, now go away'. Before this happened I was a big cheerleader for Toyota. Now, I'll never buy another Toyota again

reliability quality (except frame)

put same quality into frame that's in the rest of the truck

Great truck
By 06tacomatrd

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the V6 Automatic TRD Off-Road Tacoma used from a dealer and I've had it for about 2 years. I've put over 50,000 miles on it, drove it across the country 3 times full of my belongings, and have taken it off-road in sand and hills. Zero issues. The only thing I've done to it is change the oil every 4k miles and bought new tires. Despite having over 110,000 miles on it now, I still get compliments on it regularly. The highway ride is smooth up to 90 mph, even with aggressive Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires. And off-road you would have to TRY to get stuck because this thing is a beast.

400w Cargo Bed power outlet, Rear-locking differential, bedliner comes standard for this package

The only thing I would've liked to have on this truck is an Ipod plug-in.

4x4 6 speed manual
By roll_tide_geek

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently traded this truck in, but had it since 2007 when I bought it new. Never had to replace anything but the oil! It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Great off road, comfortable ride. The biggest downside was the fuel economy. It is very poor for a small truck! When I first bought it I didn't notice it as much but then when I moved and had to drive more the economy became very apparent. That was what made me trade it in because it was just too hard communiting 40 miles everyday.

Comfortable ride, built in bed liner a nice feature. Very very reliable truck!!

Backseat space in the access cab not so good. Never was a fan of the cloth material they used in this truck (had seat covers on it from almost day one). Fuel economy subpar

No Problems So Far
By italvega1973

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Tacoma with 109,000 miles on the 1GRfe engine. My Tacoma had one previous owner who maintained the truck well. After 3500 miles, I have had no problems other than having to recharge the A/C, a job I did myself in 20 minutes. Every gauge works, even the thermometer and compass. I am not a speeder and I am easy on my truck. I consistently get 20-21 miles per gallon on the highway. I don't know my city mileage . I hope the aluminum block V-6 can match the durability of an iron block power plant. I like my truck and expect it to carry on the Toyota reputation for reliability.

Sharp, aggressive styling; comfortable seats, simple dash; easy-to-read instruments; easy to maintain.

Tailgate is a bit weak; sturdier sheet metal; better paint (chips easily); better radio controls (tuning knob is too sensitive to touch).

Overpriced Junk
By Alpine

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First truck (same model) had to be replaced, due to a front-end problem - right off the lot. Second truck had a clutch problem from the start (one that the dealer ignored until it failed at 35K). I had the rear spring TSB done to help the load capability of the truck. The dealer messed up setting the pinion angle of the diff - blowing out the drive-shaft carrier bearing. The dealer would not admit to this, and I had to get it fixed at a drive-line shop (at $900). All-in-all the truck is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned, with Toyota not backing the problems associated with this truck. Toyota, oh what a feeling (yeah, sick feeling).

If I had to offer something, I would say seat comfort.

Start over Toyota!