2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Severely dissappointed
By dunwithtoyota on 02/11/13 07:09 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2006 for 7 years now and until recently I loved it. Very reliable and very few problems (compared to the GM's I used to drive). However when I took it for the latest state inspection it wouldn't pass because the frame is rusting away. This problem now seems to be appearing on many 05 & 06 Tacomas. Both the dealer and I contacted Toyota separately concerning this. Toyota's response was basically 'too bad, now go away'. Before this happened I was a big cheerleader for Toyota. Now, I'll never buy another Toyota again

Great truck
By 06tacomatrd on 12/20/11 08:09 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the V6 Automatic TRD Off-Road Tacoma used from a dealer and I've had it for about 2 years. I've put over 50,000 miles on it, drove it across the country 3 times full of my belongings, and have taken it off-road in sand and hills. Zero issues. The only thing I've done to it is change the oil every 4k miles and bought new tires. Despite having over 110,000 miles on it now, I still get compliments on it regularly. The highway ride is smooth up to 90 mph, even with aggressive Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires. And off-road you would have to TRY to get stuck because this thing is a beast.

4x4 6 speed manual
By roll_tide_geek on 11/08/11 17:50 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently traded this truck in, but had it since 2007 when I bought it new. Never had to replace anything but the oil! It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Great off road, comfortable ride. The biggest downside was the fuel economy. It is very poor for a small truck! When I first bought it I didn't notice it as much but then when I moved and had to drive more the economy became very apparent. That was what made me trade it in because it was just too hard communiting 40 miles everyday.

No Problems So Far
By italvega1973 on 07/25/11 21:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Tacoma with 109,000 miles on the 1GRfe engine. My Tacoma had one previous owner who maintained the truck well. After 3500 miles, I have had no problems other than having to recharge the A/C, a job I did myself in 20 minutes. Every gauge works, even the thermometer and compass. I am not a speeder and I am easy on my truck. I consistently get 20-21 miles per gallon on the highway. I don't know my city mileage . I hope the aluminum block V-6 can match the durability of an iron block power plant. I like my truck and expect it to carry on the Toyota reputation for reliability.

Overpriced Junk
By Alpine on 09/01/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First truck (same model) had to be replaced, due to a front-end problem - right off the lot. Second truck had a clutch problem from the start (one that the dealer ignored until it failed at 35K). I had the rear spring TSB done to help the load capability of the truck. The dealer messed up setting the pinion angle of the diff - blowing out the drive-shaft carrier bearing. The dealer would not admit to this, and I had to get it fixed at a drive-line shop (at $900). All-in-all the truck is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned, with Toyota not backing the problems associated with this truck. Toyota, oh what a feeling (yeah, sick feeling).

Great Truck
By andy on 04/03/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 4wd 2.7L 4 cyl std trans. The truck is economical (22-26 mpg), comfortable and dependable. The interior is comfortable and utilitarian. Mine is a work truck and hauls my tools, firewood and bike with ease. It is comfortable on long trips, has a great stereo with disc player. My only gripe is that the speedometer reads high (about 8- 10%) with stock tires. Although it isn't that important to me I also like the styling.

Awesome truck...but....
By '06Tacoma on 02/15/10 20:59 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, this Tacoma has been very good and useful for us. However, that being said, if you have the means and are looking for an AUTO trans Taco, I would suggest getting the V6 instead. I currently own an '07 Double-cab long bed Prerunner and average about 21mpg (our local gas is a 10% ethanol blend). With the inline 4, I was only averaging about 22mpg so the fuel economy savings with the 4 is very slim. The V6 also idles softer/smoother (as is the case with most V6's vs larger displacement 4's). Also, occasionally during cold starts the inline 4 seemed to idle quite high and noisily for about half a minute before settling down (others have posted reviews about this as well).

Problems Problems Problems
By Nikki on 02/09/10 15:14 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Tacoma pre-runner V6 brand new, have had nothing but issues. First, breaks, if you try to break on any uneven surface they lock and you slide took it to my dealership they said "that's how abs works". On top of that my motor mount just happened to break (I looked into this&tons of people with tacomas 05-07 motor mounts have mysteriously broke).

Decent Truck
By Mark on 11/30/09 13:40 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is just another truck. No better or worse than all the others. I have owned every brand and I have not found a perfect truck yet. Why doesn't anyone complain about the truck being nearly undrivable on windy days? Other trucks are not blown all over the highway on windy days. The engine is great.

generally overrated
By Anthony on 11/20/09 19:42 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have now owned my '06 Tacoma Pre-runner for just over a year. Yes, the V6 has plenty of power for the truck but other than that not much going for the tacoma. The auto-transmission is not matched to the power curve of the V6 at all. I get lots of unneeded and mis-shifts while drive, cruise control actually makes this worse. Quality is typical toyota, nothing great but is nothing to be excited about. The interior is completely anti-comfort from the terrible seats to the away (typical o all Japanese cars) slopping dash. This creates a feeling of a large interior. The doors are paper thin and road noise is deafening. The radio is sub par when compared to anything. A "DO NOT BUY"!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.