2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Overpriced Junk
By Alpine on 09/01/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First truck (same model) had to be replaced, due to a front-end problem - right off the lot. Second truck had a clutch problem from the start (one that the dealer ignored until it failed at 35K). I had the rear spring TSB done to help the load capability of the truck. The dealer messed up setting the pinion angle of the diff - blowing out the drive-shaft carrier bearing. The dealer would not admit to this, and I had to get it fixed at a drive-line shop (at $900). All-in-all the truck is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned, with Toyota not backing the problems associated with this truck. Toyota, oh what a feeling (yeah, sick feeling).

2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
By SR5 on 12/24/08 13:59 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It took a while to get used to the truck's dimensions. Steering is very responsive. Steering seemed quite free on freeway, like truck wasn't LOCKED into lane. Ride is smooth, great shocks. Brakes are light, not sensitive. Quite a bit of outside noise even with windows up. Can be difficult at times to see cars in blindspots. Great on rough or dirt-roads. Went deep into the forest, made my own road. Like I listed above, 86,000 miles on an '06 Tacoma. I'm on the same brakes, plugs, clutch, and feel I can reach 100,000 b4 any changes. Needed new set of tires at 60k and a wheel alignment. Got rear ended right rear corner, pretty hard, things did not shatter just bent (STRONG) no frame damage.

06 Tacoma
By dws246 on 04/06/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought the truck I loved it, it was great and just what I wanted. However after about 5k I started to get a bad clutch chatter like you are about to stall only worse. I brought that to the dealer's attention, said it was normal. I have been driving stick shift for a while and that is not normal, even after giving it lots of gas the chatter would still happen. The worst part of the whole thing is that at 26k the clutch blew, I had to have it towed to the dealer where they said it was not covered by the warranty and I would have to pay $1400 to fix it-everything was bad in the clutch,even the springs were broken which they said was because I was a bad driver.

Good reliable lightweight hauler
By Alex on 05/20/07 15:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My '92 truck was maintenance free for 175,000 miles except for a radiator replacement. My '06 is nice to drive and has so far been reliable with 30,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my clutch squeaking, not a maintenance issue, but horribly annoying all the same. I will be taking it in again for another clutch repair. It is still under warranty. The annoying part is that I will have to deal with this again in the future when it is not under warranty. The 4 cylinder manual is peppy and responsive. I like the good gas mileage for a truck this size. Watch out for the sliding rear window. I accidentally broke mine and it was going to cost over $800 to replace, a major Toyota ripoff. Mine now has plexiglass, a total repair cost of $15.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.