Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Overall incredible truck.
By zacattack1

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving full side trucks all of my life. Chevy 1500, 06 Tundra. I have a 06 prerunner sr5 5 manual, and have to say it is a 10 in every department. And the 2.7L is a top end engine. And at times it feels like a race truck. The whole truck is strong, tight, and fast. It does 80 on the highway at 1/4 throttle with ease. And with its short wheel base. The city and freeway ride, is the best and smoothest. First gear is very short, but once you start shifting through the gears. The top end engine hits, and the truck just pulls and pulls.

2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Manual trans 4X4
By tomtabil

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice truck, it has a lot of power, leveled, cold air kit, Flow master, goes like a rocket, third gear is the happy spot, you're in a truck that is a ball to drive. Hard to drive with maturity, just begs to light up Nissan, F150s and the ilk. Had to figure out how to grease the grease fittings on the u joints, okay other than you have to pull a little heat shield to get to one on the front propeller shaft (aka front drive line). Be gentle on the clutch, get on it and get off it, they made two clutches, , the L UK on mine was replaced on warranty at 30000 miles. So much power I think it just is too much for the clutch. The 06 used premium, I think it helps.

Oil filter on top of the motor, Generous seating, good power, nice manual transmission, so good fifth and sixth gear is almost not needed.

Better fuel mileage, better clutch, both tougher and needing less leg force to operate, Height adjustable driver seat should be standard.

Severely dissappointed
By dunwithtoyota

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2006 for 7 years now and until recently I loved it. Very reliable and very few problems (compared to the GM's I used to drive). However when I took it for the latest state inspection it wouldn't pass because the frame is rusting away. This problem now seems to be appearing on many 05 & 06 Tacomas. Both the dealer and I contacted Toyota separately concerning this. Toyota's response was basically 'too bad, now go away'. Before this happened I was a big cheerleader for Toyota. Now, I'll never buy another Toyota again

reliability quality (except frame)

put same quality into frame that's in the rest of the truck

Best truck ive ever had
By firefighter632

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive had my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad for 2 yrs now and LOVE it. The only downside i can find doesnt even apply to me which is the steering wheel tilted all the way up is still very difficult for my big brother (6'4 260) to drive comfortably. He loves the room in the backseat better than our dads Chevy Z71. I have put over 28K on the truck without doing anything but oil change every 5K and new tires once. I did put on a 3 in leveling kit with 265/75/16 tires. I can say im sold on Toyota Tacoma as my truck of choice for the future!

I cant name them all!

Allow for a little more room for bigger size drivers.

6 years later...
By toyotacurrenla

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've own my 2006 for six years now. No issues other than replacing the battery. Daily driver and has put on over 100k on it so far. Great truck haven't pulled anything to heavy but pulled 12' trailer with junk no problem. Great purchase and like it even more after my note ended.

Nice ride for a truck

Would like higher towing capacity