2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Severely dissappointed
By dunwithtoyota on 02/11/13 07:09 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2006 for 7 years now and until recently I loved it. Very reliable and very few problems (compared to the GM's I used to drive). However when I took it for the latest state inspection it wouldn't pass because the frame is rusting away. This problem now seems to be appearing on many 05 & 06 Tacomas. Both the dealer and I contacted Toyota separately concerning this. Toyota's response was basically 'too bad, now go away'. Before this happened I was a big cheerleader for Toyota. Now, I'll never buy another Toyota again

Best truck ive ever had
By firefighter632 on 10/07/12 20:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive had my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad for 2 yrs now and LOVE it. The only downside i can find doesnt even apply to me which is the steering wheel tilted all the way up is still very difficult for my big brother (6'4 260) to drive comfortably. He loves the room in the backseat better than our dads Chevy Z71. I have put over 28K on the truck without doing anything but oil change every 5K and new tires once. I did put on a 3 in leveling kit with 265/75/16 tires. I can say im sold on Toyota Tacoma as my truck of choice for the future!

6 years later...
By toyotacurrenla on 03/20/12 12:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've own my 2006 for six years now. No issues other than replacing the battery. Daily driver and has put on over 100k on it so far. Great truck haven't pulled anything to heavy but pulled 12' trailer with junk no problem. Great purchase and like it even more after my note ended.

Great truck
By 06tacomatrd on 12/20/11 08:09 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the V6 Automatic TRD Off-Road Tacoma used from a dealer and I've had it for about 2 years. I've put over 50,000 miles on it, drove it across the country 3 times full of my belongings, and have taken it off-road in sand and hills. Zero issues. The only thing I've done to it is change the oil every 4k miles and bought new tires. Despite having over 110,000 miles on it now, I still get compliments on it regularly. The highway ride is smooth up to 90 mph, even with aggressive Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires. And off-road you would have to TRY to get stuck because this thing is a beast.

Almost Perfect for a Truck
By jdl50cc on 12/19/11 14:27 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just passed 93,000 miles on our Tacoma and have yet to perform a single repair other than regularly scheduled maintenance. The worst parts of the Tacoma were the lousy stock tires, but once we replaced those with General Grabbers, things were much better. The radio format is a disappointment, too, because the dash won't accept a standard DIN opening replacement, and we're stock with the standard unit, which lakes MP3 ability and an auxiliary input jack. Another odd thing is the fuel economy: It gets 19-20 MPG around town and the same 19-20 MPG on the freeway. I'm really happy around town, but wish the freeway fuel use was a bit better.

4x4 6 speed manual
By roll_tide_geek on 11/08/11 17:50 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently traded this truck in, but had it since 2007 when I bought it new. Never had to replace anything but the oil! It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Great off road, comfortable ride. The biggest downside was the fuel economy. It is very poor for a small truck! When I first bought it I didn't notice it as much but then when I moved and had to drive more the economy became very apparent. That was what made me trade it in because it was just too hard communiting 40 miles everyday.

No Problems So Far
By italvega1973 on 07/25/11 21:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Tacoma with 109,000 miles on the 1GRfe engine. My Tacoma had one previous owner who maintained the truck well. After 3500 miles, I have had no problems other than having to recharge the A/C, a job I did myself in 20 minutes. Every gauge works, even the thermometer and compass. I am not a speeder and I am easy on my truck. I consistently get 20-21 miles per gallon on the highway. I don't know my city mileage . I hope the aluminum block V-6 can match the durability of an iron block power plant. I like my truck and expect it to carry on the Toyota reputation for reliability.

06 tacoma
By dean40 on 07/15/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

have had this truck for a year now, and the only thing i have done is change the oil and filters, great truck!

Great Tacoma
By lovecars10 on 01/27/11 19:17 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Okay, I have what some people may call "car issues". I am 33 years old and on about the 40th car. Six months ago I bought a 25k mile 2006 with a factory warranty. I am totally not a truck guy and could not see myself driving an F-150. But the Tacoma is not a truck for us. Its the Ultimate Family Vehicle. We go camping, lot's of room with tonneau cover, it can tow, it fits 4 of us comfortably, and I can get stuff from Lowe's. By the way its very reliable and overall feels very solid. I can't believe that my top favorite car out of Acuras, Bmw, Saab and a bunch of others and it's a "truck"...no, it's an..."Ultimate Family Vehicle".

4X4 Beast reliable fun safe!
By Jesus saves on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only bad thing about my truck is the poor fuel economy. I get about 19 mpg. Other than that it's a beast. Back seat fits adults just fine. I have pulled out several lifter 4x4 diesel trucks out of the mud, snow, and sand. Pulls loads great. 4X4 like no other and it soaks up the bumps great!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.