2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Overall incredible truck.
By zacattack1 on 09/27/14 21:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving full side trucks all of my life. Chevy 1500, 06 Tundra. I have a 06 prerunner sr5 5 manual, and have to say it is a 10 in every department. And the 2.7L is a top end engine. And at times it feels like a race truck. The whole truck is strong, tight, and fast. It does 80 on the highway at 1/4 throttle with ease. And with its short wheel base. The city and freeway ride, is the best and smoothest. First gear is very short, but once you start shifting through the gears. The top end engine hits, and the truck just pulls and pulls.

2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Manual trans 4X4
By tomtabil on 08/10/14 23:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nice truck, it has a lot of power, leveled, cold air kit, Flow master, goes like a rocket, third gear is the happy spot, you're in a truck that is a ball to drive. Hard to drive with maturity, just begs to light up Nissan, F150s and the ilk. Had to figure out how to grease the grease fittings on the u joints, okay other than you have to pull a little heat shield to get to one on the front propeller shaft (aka front drive line). Be gentle on the clutch, get on it and get off it, they made two clutches, , the L UK on mine was replaced on warranty at 30000 miles. So much power I think it just is too much for the clutch. The 06 used premium, I think it helps.

Severely dissappointed
By dunwithtoyota on 02/11/13 07:09 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2006 for 7 years now and until recently I loved it. Very reliable and very few problems (compared to the GM's I used to drive). However when I took it for the latest state inspection it wouldn't pass because the frame is rusting away. This problem now seems to be appearing on many 05 & 06 Tacomas. Both the dealer and I contacted Toyota separately concerning this. Toyota's response was basically 'too bad, now go away'. Before this happened I was a big cheerleader for Toyota. Now, I'll never buy another Toyota again

Best truck ive ever had
By firefighter632 on 10/07/12 20:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ive had my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad for 2 yrs now and LOVE it. The only downside i can find doesnt even apply to me which is the steering wheel tilted all the way up is still very difficult for my big brother (6'4 260) to drive comfortably. He loves the room in the backseat better than our dads Chevy Z71. I have put over 28K on the truck without doing anything but oil change every 5K and new tires once. I did put on a 3 in leveling kit with 265/75/16 tires. I can say im sold on Toyota Tacoma as my truck of choice for the future!

6 years later...
By toyotacurrenla on 03/20/12 12:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've own my 2006 for six years now. No issues other than replacing the battery. Daily driver and has put on over 100k on it so far. Great truck haven't pulled anything to heavy but pulled 12' trailer with junk no problem. Great purchase and like it even more after my note ended.

Great truck
By 06tacomatrd on 12/20/11 08:09 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the V6 Automatic TRD Off-Road Tacoma used from a dealer and I've had it for about 2 years. I've put over 50,000 miles on it, drove it across the country 3 times full of my belongings, and have taken it off-road in sand and hills. Zero issues. The only thing I've done to it is change the oil every 4k miles and bought new tires. Despite having over 110,000 miles on it now, I still get compliments on it regularly. The highway ride is smooth up to 90 mph, even with aggressive Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires. And off-road you would have to TRY to get stuck because this thing is a beast.

Almost Perfect for a Truck
By jdl50cc on 12/19/11 14:27 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just passed 93,000 miles on our Tacoma and have yet to perform a single repair other than regularly scheduled maintenance. The worst parts of the Tacoma were the lousy stock tires, but once we replaced those with General Grabbers, things were much better. The radio format is a disappointment, too, because the dash won't accept a standard DIN opening replacement, and we're stock with the standard unit, which lakes MP3 ability and an auxiliary input jack. Another odd thing is the fuel economy: It gets 19-20 MPG around town and the same 19-20 MPG on the freeway. I'm really happy around town, but wish the freeway fuel use was a bit better.

4x4 6 speed manual
By roll_tide_geek on 11/08/11 17:50 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently traded this truck in, but had it since 2007 when I bought it new. Never had to replace anything but the oil! It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Great off road, comfortable ride. The biggest downside was the fuel economy. It is very poor for a small truck! When I first bought it I didn't notice it as much but then when I moved and had to drive more the economy became very apparent. That was what made me trade it in because it was just too hard communiting 40 miles everyday.

No Problems So Far
By italvega1973 on 07/25/11 21:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Tacoma with 109,000 miles on the 1GRfe engine. My Tacoma had one previous owner who maintained the truck well. After 3500 miles, I have had no problems other than having to recharge the A/C, a job I did myself in 20 minutes. Every gauge works, even the thermometer and compass. I am not a speeder and I am easy on my truck. I consistently get 20-21 miles per gallon on the highway. I don't know my city mileage . I hope the aluminum block V-6 can match the durability of an iron block power plant. I like my truck and expect it to carry on the Toyota reputation for reliability.

06 tacoma
By dean40 on 07/15/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

have had this truck for a year now, and the only thing i have done is change the oil and filters, great truck!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.