2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Retired ASE Auto & Truck Maste

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

V6 Double Cab (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic 6.1 ft. Bed)

Retired ASE Auto & Truck Master Tech
By K. R. Coleman on

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

One hard working truck. All ways carries 1/4 ton Plus of emerg equip + supplies Fitted with RAIDER fiber glass canopy. Regularlly hauls a 6,000 lb hydraulic dump trailer. I contract out to the Forest service for supply hauls into the Idaho back country. During hunting season I made daily trips from 1800ft el to 5,000- 7000ft el. on back country narrow rough dirt roads. So far I have had no repairs needed. The 4X4 system with full time rear limited slip has not failed me yet. The V6 with the 5spd Auto is excellent at handling loads on steep down hill tracks just use it like a stick, it's better then a stick! I am actually getting 17-21 mpg. Does every thing Toyota claimed.

Favorite Features

My wife loves it. Flexibility of the interior. Esp the rear seating with under & behind storage. The seats fold providing my Airedale lots of space. He wears a chest harnes & safety belt attached to the floor. If the split seats didn't tip forward to provide a clear floor this wouldn't work.

Suggested Improvements

Allow for more travel between the rear diferential & the rubber bumper. At least one more leaf spring. It doesn't start out with enough allowable travel. There is plenty of fender & wheel well cleanence just need more space over the axle. Most drivers will never notice this. Picky, picky!