2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Mechanically Good; Poor Fit an

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

Mechanically Good; Poor Fit and Finish
By Nick on

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First few months were a nightmare. Bought the truck when the model was brand new and still had a lot of bugs to work out. Was at the dealer for repairs at least once a week. The most significant problem was major paint flaking and chipping after only 5 weeks, just from driving in the snow on paved roads. Toyota would not admit that there was a problem with the paint. Most recently, at 53K, I have a frame that's rusting so badly that even 10-15 year old trucks I see on the road have frames that look much better. Again, Toyota claims there's nothing wrong with the paint on the frame. My final gripe is that the body dents and dings too easily--the sheet metal is just too thin.

I like the styling, and the fuel economy is okay, for a truck. My favorite feature is the quality of the interior, especially the dashboard finishes.

Toyota needs to learn how to paint a vehicle, and it also needs to accept responsibility and not claim that when you have a 5 week old vehicle with hundreds of chips in the paint just from driving on paved roads, you have "normal wear and tear."