Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best truck on the market!!
By Scott

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Tacoma!! I have driven all kinds of trucks and this one is the best hands down. Its doesn't have rattles after several miles, its quiet and powerful!!

Favorite Features

Steering wheel radio controls

Suggested Improvements

increased fuel economy

The perfect vehicle?
By Patrick

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 8 cars and trucks in the last 5 years searching for the perfect vehicle. I am confident I have found it. I am a financial planner and a real estate investor. Further, I just had a son - making safety a real concern. This truck serves well in all capacities. The look of the truck is tough yet sophisticated enough to be proud pulling up to clients' offices. I can drive four grown men around town comfortably. The interior (front driver and passenger primarily) is comfortable and well thought out. When I am working on rental houses, the long bed allows room for tools, trash-outs, etc. The towing capacity is excellent.Ideal for weekend camping trips. 18/22mpg. Perfect vehicle? Great work, Toyota!

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, front/side/curtain airbags.JBL sound system.General handling and overall look.Toyota reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of one. This vehicle is so well thought-out it is hard to criticize.

road noise
By joe

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The door gaskets are terrible, the road noise is very loud-the faster you go more volume is needed on the CD or radio,also to much dirt, dust and road salt collect inside dr. jams. The paint chips very easily every where - it looks very thin. The seats feel like your sitting on layers of cardboard. Quality control experts should be fired for putting one of the most under rated and cheapest dunlap tires on this truck or any truck.

Favorite Features

The features of the truck turn many heads and I get lots of compliments. Performance is great as is the smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Paint needs to be thicker or more protected, seats need to be more comfortable. Better grade of tires,d oor jams/gaskets. I'm only 5/7 and the steering wheel is always in the way of legs/getting in and out

You can have your cake and eat it too !!
By James K. Hoy

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving trucks for exactly 20 years now. Through this time it has been my experiance that you have to give up performance to achieve a vehicle that is suitable for work. With the new Tacoma, those days are over. I have a Crew Cab, Pre Runner, with the TRD Sport package, a V6 and the SR5 set up. This truck not only tows my work trailer, (a 5' x 8' cargo loaded with cabinet installation tools),effortlessly, it's sharp to impress a date with, it handles like a dream and man will she fly when you turn her lose. I traded in an '02 Ford F150 with the 5.4L. Its payload was rated higher but other than that, this truck out performs hands down, and it's al ot more fun to drive!!!!!

Favorite Features

It's hard to pin point what my favorite features are on this truck. It drives like a sports car with the payload of a truck. The interior is more comfortable then any mid-size, 4 door sedan that I've been in. The premiem stereo package (6 disc, 7 speaker with sub- woofer) sounds like a home stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Though I love the new tie down system that comes with the bed. Low tie catches in the front of the bed like the one's in the back would be helpful for smaller loads. Other than that, just keep up the great work...

First Tacoma
By TexasT

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Former full size truck owner that likes the quick steering, easy parking exceptional ride, performance of the V6, 4.0L and outstanding styling. A high clearance truck to take to the dirt roads, hauling gear or a fancy resturant with family and friends. I reviewed a number of mid-and full-size trucks and like the sporty styling, large space in the back seat of the Double Cab as well as extra storate under and behind the seat. I like the composite bed and tie-downs with optional bed divider and net to keep objects from sliding around. I have nerf bar steps for my 5'3" wife. And, installed a trailer hitch.

Favorite Features

Styling, quick steering, smooth ride, power.

Suggested Improvements

Four wheel disc brakes. Rear window defroster.