Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

05 Tacoma TRD
By alex

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is an awesome truck. The power is great. The TRD package comes with a rather stiff suspension which is great for off road but makes it a bit bumpy on the road. Overall this has been an awesome truck.

Awesome power from the 4.0 liter V6. Feels like a truck.

Don't get the TRD package if you like your ride soft.

For those who still want a truck
By Jeff

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck takes a while to break in, but I am getting 21.5 miles per gallon (10,000 miles) up from about 18.5 when I first bought the truck. I think this is the most reasonable truck on the market. First of all, the 4 door crew cab can actually fit people in the back seat, even full size adults. Second, this thing can tow up to 6,500 lbs, which is more than enough for the average truck driver. Third, this truck gets 20 plus miles to the gallon. When you drive this truck, you will notice that the rpm barely break 1500 if driving light (lots of range in the transmission). But if you hit the gas, this thing will throw you into your seat (supposedly goes 0- 60 in about 7 flat).

The ride. Going 85 mph, the cab is quite and the thing just cruises. Interior. Very refined, love the TRD edition seats. Engine. Reliable, powerful, good gas mileage. Toyota uses the same engine in several vehicles now.

None really. This is by far the best truck on the market and it looks great.

awesome allrounder
By joe shoer

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this truck for one year now and love it as much as the day I picked it up! Although it's not perfect it far exceeds all GM trucks I've owned, mechanically, reliably,and aesthetically. This truck works hard carrying weight 80% of the time and has performed flawlessly. After 50000KM I have had no problems whatsoever except for paint chips. Whether it be a result of poor paint (white) or to many gravel trucks, I don't know. Overall I am very happy with my first Toyota Tacoma.

Great looks, accessible interior controls, awesome headlights, decent sound system,turning radius exceptional, easy 4WD use, great in deep snow and mud (w/upgraded tires)

Maybe leather seats for easier cleaning. The "meshy" fabric looks OK but hard to keep although has stood up to much abuse;kids,sports equip.,etc. A better tilt wheel so legs don't hit climbing in or out is my biggest beef. Paint chips easily, or do I run into alot of stones off gravel trucks?

05 Tacoma
By VN

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota pickup: 94 Hilux; 03 Tacoma; 05 Tacoma. My dealer is driving the 94 Hilux, a guy in town has my 03, and I am happy with my 05 Tacoma. These trucks never quit! I installed an aftermarket moon roof and the Dee Zees to offset the looks. Truck has good starting, no hesitation in acceleration, and offers a very smooth ride (I have the long bed double cab which has plenty of room).

I like the moon roof, but since Toyota did not offer one, I had to have an aftermarket Webasto installed. That was a good mood.

Offer leather--I am going to have an aftermarket on this also, but it would have been a good option.

A Keeper
By Ralph Shaffer

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Toyota Taco is the best engineered automobile I've ever owned. It's like driving a car. A big car. Like a Cadillac. It's quiet on the highway and the big 16 inch tires and long wheelbase make it a dream to drive on a long trip. Seats are just right for my arthritic back, all controls are easy to reach. Maintenance is a dream - they even give you a drip catcher for the easy to reach (topside) oil filter. Only time will tell how this holds up under the freeze-thaw-snow-salt Pennsylvania winters. The 4X4 transfer case is a dream - just turn the switch. Mileage is kind of stinky if you're used to a car, but not bad for a 4X4, about 17mpg. It runs on regular gas just fine.

Manual 6-speed tranny is very easy to use but with all that power, possibly not necessary.

Come up with a V-8 model to satisfy all of us power hungry guys who like the sound of an 8. The Tundra V8 would make this little Taco really go!