2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
For those who still want a truck
By Jeff on 06/03/06 13:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck takes a while to break in, but I am getting 21.5 miles per gallon (10,000 miles) up from about 18.5 when I first bought the truck. I think this is the most reasonable truck on the market. First of all, the 4 door crew cab can actually fit people in the back seat, even full size adults. Second, this thing can tow up to 6,500 lbs, which is more than enough for the average truck driver. Third, this truck gets 20 plus miles to the gallon. When you drive this truck, you will notice that the rpm barely break 1500 if driving light (lots of range in the transmission). But if you hit the gas, this thing will throw you into your seat (supposedly goes 0- 60 in about 7 flat).

Xrunner a fun ride
By Broward Xrunner on 06/03/06 06:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my Toyota Tacoma Xrunner since January. It's has been a joy to drive. The 4.0 is very nice with the six speed stick tranny. The hood scoop and low profile are excellent looks. The wide tires let this truck out corner many cars. I own 3 other trucks. Two are for work, the other is a full size Chevy. Well the Chevy just sits now. The Xrunner makes driving fun again. People love to talk to me about the truck. It really turns the heads.

Good looking truck not cost effective
By IT_guru on 05/26/06 21:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Exterior design makes it a good looking truck. I was complimented several times on its design. Fun to drive on weekends but looks are deceiving. It claims 18/22 but it was more like 16/20 with the 4x4 TRD. The bilstein shocks made for a hard drive. Clutch pedal replaced with only 9000 miles after making squeaking sounds. Extended cab rather cramped for adults but adequate for children. Expensive to maintain especially with the suggested 3000 miles oil change along with dealer's "suggested" preventative repairs.

awesome allrounder
By joe shoer on 05/23/06 18:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this truck for one year now and love it as much as the day I picked it up! Although it's not perfect it far exceeds all GM trucks I've owned, mechanically, reliably,and aesthetically. This truck works hard carrying weight 80% of the time and has performed flawlessly. After 50000KM I have had no problems whatsoever except for paint chips. Whether it be a result of poor paint (white) or to many gravel trucks, I don't know. Overall I am very happy with my first Toyota Tacoma.

05 Tacoma
By VN on 05/04/06 19:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota pickup: 94 Hilux; 03 Tacoma; 05 Tacoma. My dealer is driving the 94 Hilux, a guy in town has my 03, and I am happy with my 05 Tacoma. These trucks never quit! I installed an aftermarket moon roof and the Dee Zees to offset the looks. Truck has good starting, no hesitation in acceleration, and offers a very smooth ride (I have the long bed double cab which has plenty of room).

A Keeper
By Ralph Shaffer on 04/28/06 01:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Toyota Taco is the best engineered automobile I've ever owned. It's like driving a car. A big car. Like a Cadillac. It's quiet on the highway and the big 16 inch tires and long wheelbase make it a dream to drive on a long trip. Seats are just right for my arthritic back, all controls are easy to reach. Maintenance is a dream - they even give you a drip catcher for the easy to reach (topside) oil filter. Only time will tell how this holds up under the freeze-thaw-snow-salt Pennsylvania winters. The 4X4 transfer case is a dream - just turn the switch. Mileage is kind of stinky if you're used to a car, but not bad for a 4X4, about 17mpg. It runs on regular gas just fine.

Third Toyota!
By Hobopoet on 03/28/06 03:59 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota Truck. I've owned a '92 standard, a '01 Tundra, and now this one. I can't imagine a better overall vehicle! I own a courier service, and I'm planning on appearing in one of those "I got 500,000 miles and I'm still rolling!" ads. The new 2.7 engine is a marvel; it feels more powerful than the 3.4 six in my Tundra. I have no doubt this truck will do everything I ask and more!

05 trd 4x4 access cab v6 5speed auto
By bad man on 03/23/06 08:48 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

i have the trd off road with every availible option. i use for work and average 20mpg and have put over 40,000 miles in less than one year. every jobsite i go on people love the look of my truck! very cool truck with a great ride and lots of power. the power outlet in the bed is neat. i would like a light in the bed.

2005 Access Cab Big Disappointment
By A.S. on 03/14/06 10:43 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Tacoma Prerunner with 4-cyl/5M new after doing a lot of research from forums, specification reports, and going on test-drives. This is the model that looks like a 4- wheel-drive and has an extended cab (they call it the access cab). I can now say after having it for 17,000 miles that I am very disappointed in it for two reasons: actual vs. posted fuel mileage and wind noise with the latter being the primary reason I am selling it. I wanted only one vehicle to commute to work and haul music equipment. It had to be of high quality, above 25mpg highway fuel rating, and have adequate storage space (I assumed the ride would be reasonably quiet as are competitors models).

Best truck on the market!!
By Scott on 03/06/06 12:47 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Tacoma!! I have driven all kinds of trucks and this one is the best hands down. Its doesn't have rattles after several miles, its quiet and powerful!!