Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 356 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Not as impressed as I thought I'd be
By theyota

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love Toyotas. My experience with this one has been not as satisfactory as past. 7000 kms - all 4 hubs fell off. 14000 kms transmission needed replacing. 90 000 A/C compressor done and needs replacing- not under warranty and rare for this to go so early-very expensive part. Want to sell but don't want others to take on these issues if still to come. Toyota customer service was less than satisfactory on helping me with these issues. So surprised due to previous experience with Toyota. :(

good size, nice interior

5th seat belt in back

Great truck
By Bigcoz43

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Had a Chev. S-10 that fell apart driving down the road. Traded it for the Toyota and never had a problem. Just oil changes and normal maintenance. What a great truck.

Great ride and mileage is around 25 mpg.

Need to install delayed wipers on new models

Another Great Truck
By jknut

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota keeps building great machines. This one has been very reliable. 55mi and running strong. NEVER needed repairs outside of general maint. This truck offers all around versatility, good gas mileage (19 mpg- city or hwy), and great resale. Yes, this truck will cost you 2-3K more than a domestic, but it's well worth it.

Solid 4wd, powerful 235 HP V6, lots of interior and bed space. Easy oil changes. Very little maintenance needed.

Couple of minor complaints: Noisy windshield at high speeds and squeak in the heater fan. No other improvements needed.

I'd buy it again
By Longtermdirver

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I drive the LA frwys 95% of the time, best MPG is 19.97 and after 80k replaced the first set of Bridgstones to take a long desert trip, brakes still have over 50% wear left, not one major and very few minor issues. Love the way I sit, lots of room and I'm 6'4" 240lbs, never a sore back. Love the V6/6 speed even though I might not get out 2nd on the 405 for an hour. Am I crazy? Only complaint is the 4x4 switch which does not always work, dealer thinks I'm nuts. Won't always go in or out of 4 low on command.

It's fun to drive, sit up high. Power and quality are outstanding. It's a luxury truck but I wasn't looking for a cowboy caddy. Reliability is outstanding, but then I'm not hard on the equipment and I live in a dry climate. First failure was a head light at 85K

Please change the radio lighting, can't be read in the day time with sunglasses on. Even worse if you drive with headlights on in the day. I agree with one of the other reviews, don't lean on it or you'll see the dent. Could be quieter at 65. Power rear window?

Great MPG, Good Buy
By grant

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought My Tacoma about 2 months ago. I drive round trip 50 miles everyday. If I drive the truck the "right way" I get about 19-20 MPG. I do about 65% highway miles, 35% city driving. That's awesome for a truck w/a stout V6. So The power is really great. I have had 3 V8 trucks, 2 V6's, and this matches all of them. The transmission shifts awesome, can't even tell it is shifting. It rides like a car, and has great room and all kinds of hidden spaces for storage. I have 3 kids under 6 and it has great room for car seats. Styling is great, however I wish the tilt steering was better, not much adjustability. The dash gauges are awesome. I can get anything in the bed. I love it, great buy.

Great MPG for a V6 midsize truck. Good power, good overall styling-good be better though. Great room and storage.

Has a loud deep noise when I have all the windows down, it vibrates the passenger seat, creating this noise I think. The paint seems to chip easily. Better tilt steering. Cab could be fancier inside. I wish Toyota would release their codes so you can performance tune. Overall nothing big though.